LA Noire

Users who are viewing this thread

Having watched the trailer for the first time, I wonder how much relevance the player will have regarding the path of the investigations. Could we potentially draw an incorrect conclusion from an interview or piece of evidence do you think, or will it simply be a case of the player being guided toward everything, so that the game would be more like a film with occasional player input? I hope it is closer to the former, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Moose! said:
The lip-sync is so good because apparently, they're using some sort of facial recognition technology where the actors face is digitally rendered by filming it with a bunch of special cameras. Basically, they create an exact digital copy of an actors face while they are performing the dialogue and copy it into the game. Seems a lot better than animating hundreds of different facial ticks and expressions, especially considering how dialogue heavy this game is supposed to be.

I heard it's got a 2000 page script.

Hmm, hm. I figured it was something like that. (similar to Avatar and some other films)
Usually lipsynch is done procedurally, parsing the text of the dialogue and activating appropriate mouth animations. There's no argument about which looks better, I wonder which is faster though.

I read an article in my friends game informer, and it said that the motion capture system is much faster now because of new developments. Which is why they decided they would be able to put 2000 pages of script into the game, I guess.

Moose! said:
I read an article in my friends game informer, and it said that the motion capture system is much faster now because of new developments. Which is why they decided they would be able to put 2000 pages of script into the game, I guess.

Faster, yes, because you don't actually have to parse out the different sounds and play appropriate animations for them. Instead, you'll have an animation sequence for every dialogue. If it were on PC, you'd be looking at gigs of animations alone. Rockstar never has been once to minimize disk space, that's for sure, but it looks like that shouldn't be a limitation this time.

Silly consoles, real games are for PCs.  :lol:

Orion said:
Moose! said:

Faster, yes, because you don't actually have to parse out the different sounds and play appropriate animations for them. Instead, you'll have an animation sequence for every dialogue. If it were on PC, you'd be looking at gigs of animations alone. Rockstar never has been once to minimize disk space, that's for sure, but it looks like that shouldn't be a limitation this time.

Silly consoles, real games are for PCs.  :lol:

This new technology is in an extremely raw format that takes up massive amounts of space and is hard to compress.

Indeed. Ye olde voice synchronizing is done procedurally, which means this new technology is A) less efficient and B) takes a lot longer to implement, because you have to get each actor to act their corresponding script flawlessly. So that's capturing 2000 pages of actors reading, versus implementing an algorithm that procedurally translates text into facial animation.

Raz said:
Indeed. Ye olde voice synchronizing is done procedurally, which means this new technology is A) less efficient and B) takes a lot longer to implement, because you have to get each actor to act their corresponding script flawlessly. So that's capturing 2000 pages of actors reading, versus implementing an algorithm that procedurally translates text into facial animation.

well, hey, in the end it's about how good it looks. If they can market their game on this (and I see they do), maybe it'll draw enough gamers to pay for the recording sessions. :grin:

Absolutely. :razz: I am in no way criticizing usage of this 'new technology', just refuting assumptions that it's less time-consuming and cheaper.

to the 2 guys on the fist page: "opposite side of the law" means you're playing criminals, you probably mean "from the side of the law".

but anyway, console only. fail.

Was referring to the fact that these sandbox murder sims typically have you play as a criminal or some kind of merc/special agent who can blow **** up with impunity. Don't think I remember the last one where you play as a cop.

You have read the developers interviews and diaries, haven't you? The gameplay is nothing like GTA.

There were no indepth conversations in GTA. There weren't conversations, period, just cut scenes.

Just thought I'd post this here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RockstarGamesGB?v=CDXXQORXXTQ&feature=pyv&ad=10655195869&kw=la%20noire

Back
Top Bottom