Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders

Users who are viewing this thread

Checkmaty

Veteran
If you haven't already, I highly suggest that the developers take a look at "Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders", a Rpg/Strategy/Action hybrid for the Xbox. The melee battles feel, look, and sound amazing but lacks a good combat system, which Mount&Blade has. The battlefield troop control is also done very well.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I will heartily reiterate. Give this one a look, Armagan.

Obviously, I want you to completely ignore the horrid abstractedness of the game and its fake high-fanasy setting, but the interface works quite well. I think troop orders in M&B would be great if they were similar to KUF, perhaps a little simpler.

I'm glad you brought this up. Are you suggesting that the same combat system stay but to adopt a similar system of unit formations/commands etc? That would definately be cool.

Yeah, I don't like all the fantasy stuff in KUF but the battles are done very well. When a large mass of troops meet in melee combat it's VERY cool.

Vaerraent said:
I'm going to check this out. Anybody here know any other games like R:TW/M&B or like both?

Beware, it's a fairly light game, and if you are looking for hardcore strategy then steer clear of KUF.

BTw I got stuck in the mission where you are supposed to cross a river but the other side is filled with archers. Any tips?

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is an excellent Xbox and there are lots of elements there that could be inspirational suggestions/models for M&B because in KUF you also visit taverns, upgrade skills, hire mercs, upgrade troops, lead warparties, etc. A good suggestion :smile:

it's been a while worbah, but I think you just have to force yourself across at the very top of the river. i say top as in north, but then again i don't really remember and it could have been east and west, and in that case it would have been east

There was an earlier 2001 PC game called Kingdom Under Fire: A War of Heroes which was described as a RTS with role-playing elements, set in a fantasy world ravaged by rival factions, and where the player apparently commands several characters in a small war party.

The PC game was not highly regarded by reviewers, and my understanding is the Xbox remake is very very different and much improved - just FYI if you do see the PC game it's not the same as the new Xbox.

Worbah said:
Vaerraent said:
I'm going to check this out. Anybody here know any other games like R:TW/M&B or like both?

Beware, it's a fairly light game, and if you are looking for hardcore strategy then steer clear of KUF.

BTw I got stuck in the mission where you are supposed to cross a river but the other side is filled with archers. Any tips?

You are certainly correct. The mix works smoothly and is exciting, however.

Put archers on that prominence in the center of the map, and force their archers to back away with fire arrows. Then cross cavalry first.

Duncan Frost said:
surely this alll counts as off topic?
It was suggested that the game could be useful as a resource for inspiration and/or imitation for how M&B might develop. That's certainly relevant.

Similarly, Sid Meier's Pirates free-form play could be an inspiration for M&B's gameplay or GTA: San Andreas' stat keeping system might be useful as a rolemodel for M&B's record keeping (if one is implemented!).

Back
Top Bottom