Kingdom start advice

Users who are viewing this thread

gain7095

Regular
Ok maybe I waited too long I think my game is around day 400.  Well anyway I am a lord of Ravenstern and friends with the king and most lords so we (Ravenstern) have pretty much dominated the map.  So I've tried starting my own kingdom and have rebelled with the towns of Avendor and Marleon.  Well I have about 55 rtr and I beg my good buddy the king for a true but after about 30 days he crushes me everytime.  I have a save before I rebelled any suggestions.  I notice a lot of people say take a city from a weak kingdom, shoud I renounce my oath and go piss off a lesser kingdom? 

Thoughts?

Type in the search box "for new players" my topic:grin:
Geez, there are a lot of options but none of them will help if you are not prepared.The best way is to make rtr and take a castle/town that lost it's garrison and the owning faction is still in war

You need to wait till Ravenstern is in a weakened state.  If there are any powers left strong enough to oppose them, then wait until the inevitable war.  If Rav's armies are tied up on other fronts, they will have a harder time taking you down.

In my game I helped Sarleon take much of the map, but the empire was still very strong.  And once they went to war I manipulated the military campaign enough that both the Empire and Sarl's armies were weakened too much to oppose my rebellion.  And I was able to capture and recruit enough lords to raise my own army, and make Ulric beg me for a truce

Ooops.....I'm thinking I need to have a do over can anyone tell me how I can import my current char into a new a game?

Just note that when you import your character, it's just the stats.  You don't get your army, your leveled companions, your enterprises, ect. 

But anywhays, go to the character screen, where you spend your level up points, in the lower right there's a stats button.  Click it, then export character.  Start a new game, go to the same place and click import character.  Done.

You don't necessarily have to win the game as king.  You can just be 'Champion of Ravenstern', and help Greg become supreme ruler.  Or perhaps you have more ambition. :twisted:

If I do start over/import my old char into a new game is there a penalty, i.e. achievement ding or anything?  It feels cheap, but I'm attached to this guy and would like to keep him going even if I have to start over.

If you import your character and start a new game you may find that the early game is tougher, i think it increases spawn size if your level is high.never tried this so can't say for sure but if it happens it's not a bug:razz:

Bandit partys, lesser spawns and bandit lairs get bigger according to the level of the character. There was a thread not too long ago, "1000's  of bandits" where the OP reported 2047 bandits in the lair. It was because he made his character level 200. So yes the partys get bigger as you level up.

I think this may indeed be the case.  As I just did the tutorial mission and found that my character had to slay about 45 bandits which seemed a bit more than the original required.  Hmmm.....I think I may just have to consider starting all over, waiting for PoP 4.0 or holding out for Skyrim.

I don't really like the idea of importing. It does make some things slightly harder but overall it is much much easier in the beginning and you pick off much faster. Also in this mod in particular I find it cheesy especially since I usually use 8-10+ qualis gems to increase my stats around 300-500 days in. If I got another 10 qualis gems in a new game.... I guess I could just not use them or use them for knighthood orders but still I find it cheesy.

Also why did you have to start a new game? Don't tell me Ravenstern conquered most of the map o.o. There should be many opportunities to rebel especially when the kingdom is at war with 2 or 3 kingdoms.  :twisted:

I have been a marshall for Raven for ages and we have conquered about 1/2 the map.  I only have the city of Avendor and Marleons when I rebel and even though Ravenstern is at war with the green hoard they crush me.  They take Avendor in a few days, and then Marleon they swarm a few weeks later.  I've tried begging for peace but no such luck.

If you have a good suggestion let me know.

You could empty the city of the garrison and just take it back when they take it.  It's garrison is weak then.  They're more eager for peace if they feel they've been dealt a blow.  Capture their lords, the marshal especially.  If he's gone, no attack on your city. 

You should be able to beat any opposing army with 1/3rd of the troops in a siege.  There are some castles and cities that are harder to defend, I don't know about the two you have.  When you declare independence, dump some troops into your cities and then tell your steward to start recruiting from all your villages.  Then go out and try and gather as many recruits as you can from other villages.  Remember that it usually takes the AI about a day to start fighting after they siege.  The key is to get numbers so that you aren't drastically outnumbered in battle advantage, if you can get enough troops to clog up and hold the entrance point, you can win the battle in a siege. 

If they show up with more than 1500 troops and you are only able to muster like 300 because you just started out (that includes troops in your city) then you might want to reconsider going independent.  What I did in my last game was help out the weakest faction, the D'Shar.  I got 4 cities for them and then kept those cities and rebelled.  Because they were weak and already at war with others, I was able to beat back their 1000 army.  By the way, I deliberately quit as a vassal of the Empire, who I was helping out before, but they were getting way too powerful with my help and so I quit them and joined the weakest faction.  Maybe you should do the same, it could make it easier to rebel.

When they seige your town, lead a jatu or other spawn army to them. They will either kill it or run for cover. If they kill it, attack them in their weakened state and hire all the prisoners from the spawn. If they run it buys you some time to stablize.

Well, you shouldn't have waited to rebel till now, because if Ravens are dominating the map, it most likely means they have many lords as well; so that's advice for your next game.

However, you can still salvage this one. Don't worry about one of your holdings, pile everyone you have into one city, hopefully it will be enough to deter attackers, or enough to help you hold it against sieges with your army joining the fight. When the other town is sieged and taken immediately go there and retake it. You should do this before they siege your other town, because once they siege that garrison is as good as gone as well or at least will suffer huge losses making your job more difficult. IIRC Avendor needs a siege tower so fill that one in and 'sacrifice' the other one for this trick.

Now, the thing is when you retake your town, the AI thinks you conquered one of its towns (which is true of course, but that town is the buffer zone for you). Don't take the town for yourself -this will put 50-60 guys in, to hold for a little longer when they will come to take it back. Get it back once again, once again etc. and the AI thinks it lost too many fiefs and wants peace. There, you now have peace and your two towns, one untouched by war and one quite likely very poor because of the sieges, but is still your town.

Back
Top Bottom