Khuzait are op

Users who are viewing this thread

It seems to me you started your kingdom in khuzait realm. So it is no surprise that they didn't expand much since you were there to fight them (and they're easy to beat in real battle). The problem with khuzait steamrolling occurs when the player is leaving them alone for a sufficiently long time that their advantage on the map and in auto-calc allow them to beat the empire senseless.
OMG I never hurd anyone point that out before. Certainly not every ****ing day for the last 5 months.
I don't have a kingdom

you need a circle/square formation on your infantry to not get flanked.
the horse archers always come from your left, where your cavalry spawn, just send them in there.
have your archers face direction so they don't spend all their time turning around as the enemies circle you.

I wonder what your army composition is. I would suggest getting some heavy shield inf and strong foot archers. Could get some small number of light cav with your main force to charge and chase horse arch as they approach. Two handers on foot will get massacred by horse arch.

I wonder what your army composition is. I would suggest getting some heavy shield inf and strong foot archers. Could get some small number of light cav with your main force to charge and chase horse arch as they approach. Two handers on foot will get massacred by horse arch.

Eh... almost all the advice presented here runs counter to my experience against horse archers.
  • Shield infantry don't perform especially well.
  • Foot archers depend on a huge mass and will take pretty severe losses.
  • Light cavalry is better but not especially great either.
  • Two handers on foot do better than other types of infantry.
The one counter that works best in my experience is heavy cavalry counter-charging them because the armor helps the not get unhorsed or killed on approach then the horse archers scatter and their accuracy drops to down low enough they stop being a factor.

Eh... almost all the advice presented here runs counter to my experience against horse archers.
  • Shield infantry don't perform especially well.
  • Foot archers depend on a huge mass and will take pretty severe losses.
  • Light cavalry is better but not especially great either.
  • Two handers on foot do better than other types of infantry.
The one counter that works best in my experience is heavy cavalry counter-charging them because the armor helps the not get unhorsed or killed on approach then the horse archers scatter and their accuracy drops to down low enough they stop being a factor.
Shield infantry is only good to a certain extent because if they're getting hit from all sides that doesn't mean ****. But there are ways to minimize how many sides they can attack you from. But if infantry tries to chase cav or ha they will get massacred. I personally find that 2 handed warriors get killed too easily. Maybe if ha try to suicide into your lines 2 handers are effective but otherwise I can't figure out how to keep them alive long enough.
Yes heavy cav can be a good counter to them and if you have ha that definitely helps too but for me it's a matter of being patient and realizing I will take losses but I need to control when and where they attack from. I've had some success at skirmishers both horse and foot varieties but because they typically don't have great armor they don't live more than 2 hits. I think the biggest issue isn't the horse archers or even archers. It's that armor doesn't do what it should. Combine that with the fact that arrows are piercing damage and it's a bigger problem than just Khuzait horse archers.

Shield infantry is only good to a certain extent because if they're getting hit from all sides that doesn't mean ****. But there are ways to minimize how many sides they can attack you from. But if infantry tries to chase cav or ha they will get massacred. I personally find that 2 handed warriors get killed too easily. Maybe if ha try to suicide into your lines 2 handers are effective but otherwise I can't figure out how to keep them alive long enough.

On about three of the maps, there are places where you can put two-handers and HAs will be more or less totally ineffective against them; the deep ravine map, the desert canyon map and one of the open maps with a big boulder in the center. Their window for launching arrows is so narrow that if they try at a gallop, most of them won't manage to get their arrow off, while occasionally drifting into range of the two-handers. You can kill an absurd amount of HAs (or any cav, really) that way.

It is faintly cheesy though, because if the AI had a brain, they would just reposition on terrain that overwatched your little nook and rain arrows until you were dead. But the AI isn't that smart.

Yes heavy cav can be a good counter to them and if you have ha that definitely helps too but for me it's a matter of being patient and realizing I will take losses but I need to control when and where they attack from. I've had some success at skirmishers both horse and foot varieties but because they typically don't have great armor they don't live more than 2 hits. I think the biggest issue isn't the horse archers or even archers. It's that armor doesn't do what it should. Combine that with the fact that arrows are piercing damage and it's a bigger problem than just Khuzait horse archers.

Let's just say my opinion on this is already well-known.

Last edited:

Just had an interesting nail biting fight with the Khuz...They are hard cookies at times but they are most definitely balanced in the battlefield even if this army in particular where little bit mixed and wasn't their most effective terrain of choice. This is also on the highest difficulty so its even Steven for you whos wondering if it was on fair grounds. think even the Khuz had more men to start with approx 50-75 more if i remember it correctly. it doesnt mean they are bad because ive seen em winning with less many times to

Last edited:
All that being said I'd rather face Khuzait that face Battania any day of the week because facing 40-50 Fians is going to ruin your day real fast.

except they never have that many fians because they're noble troops and super rare in AI armies. but have fun dealign with tons of their horsemen.

meanwhile the empire and sturgians need more cavalry in their armies so they can stand their ground better against khuzaites.

except they never have that many fians because they're noble troops and super rare in AI armies. but have fun dealign with tons of their horsemen.

meanwhile the empire and sturgians need more cavalry in their armies so they can stand their ground better against khuzaites.
Nope... the Fians arent rare in friendly AI armies but they arent filled with em either. However they have good javeliners in their rooster to... and berserkers who dont care about shields but to kill as many as they can before they go down

Nope... the Fians arent rare in friendly AI armies but they arent filled with em either. However they have good javeliners in their rooster to... and berserkers who dont care about shields

fians were super rare in the battanian armies i fought. also yes, sturgians do have cavalry, but they are high-tier troops and thus very rare.

fians were super rare in the battanian armies i fought. also yes, sturgians do have cavalry, but they are high-tier troops and thus very rare.
yeah it most prob could happen you fought some fresh recruited ones then. The armies im fighting in almost always have em here and there

they should lower the accuracy a lot on horse archers when they move near top speeds. but they should also make them more accurate against sidestepping enemies. they dont understand mobility like foot archers and foot skirmishers do. their main focus should be distracting and skirmishing fleeing enemies, not being that lethal. that should be the other half of the army's job, the infantry and cavalry

their real issue is on the worldmap. they have too much speed bonus. they should have a huge speed bonus on clear grasslands and plains, BUT have a large speed penalty during winter, and a small penalty in forests and deserts. im assuming aserai horses are better built for deserts than nomadic horses. i dont see how horses move fast in snow overall

so they will only be very fast on the world map in certain areas at certain times like battania and sturgia. if i remember right they have 10% bonus in forests and snow, but khuzaits have 20% overall, meaning they are faster than battania and sturgia in the zones that they should be dominating. i mean isnt the whole point of battania and sturgias speed bonuses in certain terrain meant to reflect that they dont favor horses and have better mobility in those areas? besides their intimate knowledge of those areas

Last edited:
the rus principalities were subdued by the mongols in winter. frozen rivers actually increased the mobility for the mongols.

they should lower the accuracy a lot on horse archers when they move near top speeds. but they should also make them more accurate against sidestepping enemies. they dont understand mobility like foot archers and foot skirmishers do. their main focus should be distracting and skirmishing fleeing enemies, not being that lethal. that should be the other half of the army's job, the infantry and cavalry

their real issue is on the worldmap. they have too much speed bonus. they should have a huge speed bonus on clear grasslands and plains, BUT have a large speed penalty during winter, and a small penalty in forests and deserts. im assuming aserai horses are better built for deserts than nomadic horses. i dont see how horses move fast in snow overall

so they will only be very fast on the world map in certain areas at certain times like battania and sturgia. if i remember right they have 10% bonus in forests and snow, but khuzaits have 20% overall, meaning they are faster than battania and sturgia in the zones that they should be dominating. i mean isnt the whole point of battania and sturgias speed bonuses in certain terrain meant to reflect that they dont favor horses and have better mobility in those areas? besides their intimate knowledge of those areas
Cant agree on the first point.... the accuracy on em are ok. I see em miss a lot when they are riding around. When i tried em out it took long time for em to kill looters even if i rode around with em in circles so think they are pretty balanced on that part

Last edited:

? I can't agree more. Certain terrain, such as those you mention, should hamper the Khuzaits slightly more than other cultures. I don't think there should be a blanket 20% speed bonus everywhere, always. Great points!

If you leave them at peace for any real length of time, like 42 days or more, the Battanian armies of 900-1200 will have 30-90 Fians in them. Whether or not that counts as a rare to you, I don't know but they definitely will build them up.

(One way you can currently stop them from building up is repeatedly raiding their villages; it causes notable power to tank over time until they don't produce fians any longer. And that lasts throughout peacetime.)

Back
Top Bottom