Jerry Falwell is dead. Anyone want a party?

Users who are viewing this thread

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/jerry.falwell.ap/index.html 
emot-woop.gif

For those who don't know, Falwell is one of  the three (and debatably the most) most influential fundamentalist evangelicals in the United States.  The rise of Christian conservatism as a political movement can be directly laid at his feet.  As someone more eloquent on somethingawful said:  "You know how a lot of people outside the US view Americans as reactionary, Bible-thumping, hateful, dumbass rednecks? Jerry's one of the big reasons why. He pretty much founded the now-thriving cottage industry of using Christianity as a smokescreen for perpetuating racism, demagoguery, ignorance, homophobia, and imperialism."

Now, no one is better suited to say things about Falwell then Falwell himself, so I will leave you with some of his quotes: (brackets mine)

If Chief Justice Warren and his associates had known God’s word and had desired to do the Lord’s will, I am quite confident that the 1954 decision [Brown v. Board of Education] would never have been made…. The facilities should be separate. When God has drawn a line of distinction, we should not attempt to cross that line.”
----
I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this [9-11] happen.
----
"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharaoh's charioteers . . . AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.
----
I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them.
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vtBn36livY [He's the fat one, the other is the equally idiotic Robertson]
Also, in a deliciously ironic twist, Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church are picketing Falwell's funeral.  (Their website can be found at godhatesamerica.com.  A look at why they dislike Falwell should give you an idea of why they're even crazier than he was)
emot-dance.gif

Finally, I'd like to throw on a disclaimer:  This thread is not intended to be a Christian-bashing one.  It is instead intended to celebrate the death of a highly influential hatemongerer who supported racism, sexism, ignorance, and rampant homophobia.  The fact that he used religion as the vehicle for his spite and bile is merely incidental.

Also, in a deliciously ironic twist, Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church are picketing Falwell's funeral.

ROFL! that is ****ing brilliant.

As for jerry falwell... I guess the damage has already been done, and it's gonna take a lot more than just his death to undo it.

Ingolifs said:
Also, in a deliciously ironic twist, Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church are picketing Falwell's funeral.

ROFL! that is ****ing brilliant.
:lol: Hahahahaaa!

We'll have to wait and see if it makes any difference. At the moment America's greenhouse gas emissions just halved due to him no longer speaking, so I suppose that's a good start.

The champagne's chilling; only vintage Dom Pérignon will do for such an occasion, and to drink it warm would be a sin.

For every 'Bible-thumping, hateful, dumbass redneck' that dies, 5 lesser idiots will take their place. Falwell will be forgotten as soon as some other "good ol' boy" crawls out of his tax-free hovel and tries to play politics.

Kobrag said:
i was wasted then, the keyboard looked like a chocolate cake  :lol:

wasted, as in dead? The amount of alcohol imbibed equals almost exactly 1.8 lites of vodka. You weigh less than 80 Kg, don't you? Now, I'm 105 Kg's or so myself, and I am "wasted" after half a liter of vodka and a few pints of beer (regular, not 30%) at the pub. I'm talking about "if you'd passed out on your back you'd drowned in you own vomit"-wasted. Now, did you really drink that much?

Back
Top Bottom