Is M&B Banerlord EA the weirdest game development experience ever?

How weird this EA experience

• Super awkward, like ultimate bizarreness...

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • It is just a little bit off.. nothing special.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Meh, been there seen that before... Could be worse.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Very much usual game dev't nowadays.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • The greatest ever

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The optimal

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • The somewhat less optimal

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

It has been some time (3 months) since I last played the game. Avoided both the game and the forum. Today I stopped by (just for a little while) and... this is still the same ol' drama. My little detox served me well but I see maybe except the interest (people abandoned forum?) it hasn't been changed a bit... I have an impression this is one of the most bizarre game development I've ever witnessed. What do you think guys?

you have reduced the number of options and each one is a negative. You did not give options to : The greatest ever, the optimal, the somewhat less optimal, it is like you are trying to influence people into negativity either on purpose, or subconsciously or create pressure to make things happen by this negative outlook compared to the greener greens after you are heard or obeyed. Maybe you are right now in a groupthink, where all tell doom and gloom and reinforce one another and you are in need of such reinforcement, just to be sure. I do not watch TV, radio so I'm very free of the doom and gloom and all the deception and cognitive dissonance that is in there.

So, options, to where I would say that Im actually in awe of how things are going great is not in. How about to have options that do not reinforce your personal taste ? I wont vote, since I didnt play the game since january, so I do not know if it moved anywhere or in what I would consider the right direction.

For me it´s this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/501210/Reign_of_Darkness/ (I haven´t bought it but it´s on my "wishlist" so I can easily follow how one single dev will create a MMORPG!)

Released 20.11.2019 on Steam:
However, the developer remains extremely committed and estimates to be in Early Access approximately 10 to 14 months.”
I´m not sure if he really means months or years. But it´s funny to follow this game.

Concurrent players​

• 0 players right now
  • 3 24-hour peak
  • 100 all-time peak 2 years ago
Still positive reviews though, and as we all have learned here: positive reviews = great game.

For me it´s this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/501210/Reign_of_Darkness/ (I haven´t bought it but it´s on my "wishlist" so I can easily follow how one single dev will create a MMORPG!)

Released 20.11.2019 on Steam:

I´m not sure if he really means months or years. But it´s funny to follow this game.

Concurrent players​

• 0 players right now
  • 3 24-hour peak
  • 100 all-time peak 2 years ago
Still positive reviews though, and as we all have learned here: positive reviews = great game.
He could make a great modder for Bannerlord :ROFLMAO:

you have reduced the number of options and each one is a negative. You did not give options to : The greatest ever, the optimal, the somewhat less optimal, it is like you are trying to influence people into negativity either on purpose, or subconsciously or create pressure to make things happen by this negative outlook compared to the greener greens after you are heard or obeyed. Maybe you are right now in a groupthink, where all tell doom and gloom and reinforce one another and you are in need of such reinforcement, just to be sure. I do not watch TV, radio so I'm very free of the doom and gloom and all the deception and cognitive dissonance that is in there.

So, options, to where I would say that Im actually in awe of how things are going great is not in. How about to have options that do not reinforce your personal taste ? I wont vote, since I didnt play the game since january, so I do not know if it moved anywhere or in what I would consider the right direction.
:grin: I just needed you to make it less biased... So poll options were added. Honestly, for me, this looks amateurish and ridiculous and I didn't admit to it cause I was somehow blinded and full of hope for all those years (i am very late to the party and it has already been years). And I am just interested to see how much all those opinions changed over time.

But you're right so let's keep things professional :smile:

I remember the DayZ clone - whose name I don’t even remember- that was definitely a scam and whose devs tried to use copywrited material as their own. And it all came crumbling down.

So nowhere near that.

Still positive reviews though
241 people thinks that though... haha

I don't know.. Bannerlord development is weird, but there are worse cases for sure
There's a game that I like so much, that's been in EA like since 2011 if I'm not mistaken:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/Project_Zomboid/
But it's a good game, for me at least.. Every now and then I play and get hooked
Still waiting for it's MP,that looks promising..

241 people thinks that though... haha

I don't know.. Bannerlord development is weird, but there are worse cases for sure
There's a game that I like so much, that's been in EA like since 2011 if I'm not mistaken:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/Project_Zomboid/
But it's a good game, for me at least.. Every now and then I play and get hooked
Still waiting for it's MP,that looks promising..
MP will come 12/2021 or 01/2022, latest news from the devs, if nothing "bad" happens.

That´s also the difference compared to Tale Worlds. Those devs communicate, have reguraly dev blogs and so on. Yes, their development is hell as slow, but at least the community knows whats going on and why it is taking so long. It´s like two different worlds.

I´ve followed the development since 4-5 years when I bought the game. It´s the best "realistic" and complex zombie game on the market. When they release the MP part of their newest version, it will get a huge hype (Twitch, Youtube and so on). That´s why they delayed it again and again, they don´t want to **** this up. TW already had ****ed it up with their EA release, but they also didn´t care back then or now :grin: .

So I won´t count ProjectZomboid in this category, they we´re honest in their Steam EA description, TW wasn´t (still claiming that the EA phase will be around one year and other things).

Last edited:
I don't have that much experience with EA games. I can say there are multiple ones I have been interested in that seem to have just stagnated completely and don't show any sign of becoming a game I would buy.

I've been burned a few times long before EA though, by full released games
I remember buying Yoshi's Story for N64, I was a huge fan of Yoshi's Island on super nintendo. This I think the first game I was looking forward to buying after I had started working my first normal job as a teenager. Yoshi's story is too short, too easy, not in anyway as aesthetic or interesting as Yoshi's island. I had been looking forward to collecting games, but this experience reverted me back to rent-only. only after a thorough playing would I buy games.... for some years anyway.

The next thing that was really bad was ffXIV, NOT- "Realm reborn" but the first release, could be called "a realm aborted", this was in 2010 and having been a very no-life player of FFXI some year before I was excited for a new FF MMORG. The game had just a bare bones "mmo" set up, with little quests, no end game and almost no content in general. I still grinded to max level and joined a guild.... but there was nothing for us to do lol. SO most people stop playing... I mean there was no game left. SE added a tiny bit but then just let it go, opting to completely re-make a new ff14 mmo. I Think most of there motivation was just to bury their first release and it worked. Even now if I mention ff14 people are confused because FF14 is popular and well received. I admit ff14ARR is good mmo.... in the watered down post WOW type of MMO anyways. For me it doesn't offer what ffxi did at all. I want it to be hard, too hard, so I can break it!

You would think I learned my lesson, but no, ff15 came out and I got it and of course 1/2 the story seemed missing and everything but the looks was kinda sucky , I hate SE "everyone jumps around all the time" type of combat, it's like they just watched someone play Dragon's dogma and tried to rip off the combat without understanding anything about how it worked. Of course they filled n missing content LATER, some as DLC, but I never went back to try it.

I think TW is doing a better job then many developers, even if it's been slow and some very requested features are missing.

I think TW is doing a better job then many developers, even if it's been slow and some very requested features are missing.
Compared to the worst, yes. But compared to decent developers, well not so much. It´s ok to have a bad EA release, but ignoring the community most of the time is the worst thing you can do in EA. But I guess they were blinded by the light (sales aka money) pretty soon after the release.

I'd rate BL "standard development hell mediocrity". It's like an unloved and somewhat retarded stepchild with great hair.
There are far more interesting and dramatic fails and scams - this is merely not a very deep or polished game and it won't become one as long as Taleworlds sits on it.

I'd rate BL "standard development hell mediocrity".

To add to this, I think what makes Bannerlord feel exceptionally bad is that it is, at best, marginally better than warband, making you much more likely to think "what the hell are they doing?" Going from "niche indie breakout hit" to "bloated mediocre rehash" is quite the tonal whiplash. But when you compare it to the horrific state that is the game industry post 2017-18 or so, bannerlord really isn't that out of the ordinary. Bad releases and development hell are the norm now.

Honestly as much as I rage about bannerlord, it is the newest game I've played by about 5 years, and if I hadn't burned myself out on warband a decade ago and was just coming at it as a fresh title, it would have seemed like the best most innovative game of the last 4 years. Sad but true.

Compared to the worst, yes. But compared to decent developers, well not so much. It´s ok to have a bad EA release, but ignoring the community most of the time is the worst thing you can do in EA. But I guess they were blinded by the light (sales aka money) pretty soon after the release.
Well yeah, that's what I mean, although I don't know if I pay attention to most of the "good" developers, or rather a whole slew of "good" games aren't interesting to me at all. I mean is nintendo and it's children companies good developers? I don't know. But I sure wish there was an EA (or rather beta) for games like Skyward sword or all of the mario sticker games so I could tell them "this is crap, this is not at all what I want in this type of game, please look toward good qualities of past games of the series and genre..." but no, I have a finished game that I can just not buy because I don't like it. SO you can have a EA game like bannerlord that has say 60% of what I would like the game to be, compared to ______ nintendo game that's like 10%what I like and will never change at all. I don't know which makes one a better developer, I think I can't make a non-personal opinion about it.

Wartales just started EA, I'm giving it some play!

For me what is weird is the glacial time it takes to get from ( pretty raw ) EA to the This Is Our Game, Enjoy version.

Two years or so?

EA might be a decent marketing gimmick eg to generate a bigger wave of sales by actual launch, and it is technically interesting re mass player testing and feedback - what the discerning fan base ( happy to pay for the experience of EA, mind you, and in good faith ) might critique and want tweaked ( in a late, pre- launch, stage of development ), etc

But then ...... 2 years ?

It's dismaying when I think for how long Taleworlds have distracted me from RL etc, still for " nothing " thus far ......... why have I even been thinking about Bannerlord ? What a waste of my ( all our ) time.

Obviously the novelty of Bannerlord wore off quickly because it was then unready even for EA ( after apparently a handful of years in development already ), very interested players have become instead frustrated and jaded for well over a year now, probably most have drifted away, Taleworlds are ..... underwhelming, for a so - called professional outfit .........

EA " now " ( state of the game c 1.66 ) for 4 - 6 months would have been a much better strategy for everyone involved.

EA " now " ( state of the game c 1.66 ) for 4 - 6 months would have been a much better strategy for everyone involved.
I agree, TW started the EA too early. Remember all the placeholders back then (like 99% of all perks). And they claimed they would need around 1 year in EA (but also said could take longer). Everyone here was aware after 4-6 months that this game would never be ready to be released within 1 year. There was just so much stuff missing.

They should have started EA this year around march.

@Ningauble

Nintendo is the last major company that really gives a **** about their games. You can of course say that they also make games that aren´t that much fun. But like 99% of their games don´t have any real issues (bugs / missing or non working features) when they are released. Nintendo cares a lot about polish. I can´t think of any Nintendo game that required a xx GB Day One patch or? Also they don´t make this shady "buy now for 79,99€ and you can play 4 days earlier and get a skin stuff".

Nintendo have other problems like their online services (lol), but their games just work (as Todd would say). They will never release a game in the state as Cyberbug 2077 or the new Battlefield is.

Last edited:
I agree, TW started the EA too early. Remember all the placeholders back then (like 99% of all perks). And they claimed they would need around 1 year in EA (but also said could take longer). Everyone here was aware after 4-6 months that this game would never be ready to be released within 1 year. There was just so much stuff missing.

They should have started EA this year around march.
Well the release timing was not that bad considering that the whole world was locked down...
@Ningauble

Nintendo is the last major company that really gives a **** about their games. You can of course say that they also make games that aren´t that much fun. But like 99% of their games don´t have any real issues (bugs / missing or non working features) when they are released. Nintendo cares a lot about polish. I can´t think of any Nintendo game that required a xx GB Day One patch or? Also they don´t make this shady "buy now for 79,99€ and you can play 4 days earlier and get a skin stuff".

Nintendo have other problems like their online services (lol), but their games just work (as Todd would say). They will never release a game in the state as Cyberbug 2077 or the new Battlefield is.
I kinda agree with the games quality on release but not really regarding the hardware... 65€ for a controller that get defect after a few months...

You guys clearly are too young to remember Minecraft's decade long permanent early access experience...

Lol if this is the worst development cycle you've experienced I am left to believe that you totally lack experience in EA development at a large. This is actually quite smooth compared to like 80% of the EA market, only problem they really have is lack of communication. I also think that most people agree with that outside of this forum.

Back
Top Bottom