Is Fire & Sword worth buying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxim Suvorov said:
bobmunger said:
I regret getting it because it feels like a step back from Warband as it's got almost none of the warband features. I'm waiting for those before I play it.

A small refinement information: The first release was before Warband in Easter Europe.

Haha true mate thanks for the info.

Still, it doesn't change the order I've played them in, haha. It kind of feels like this is a mod for native rather than a new game to be honest. (Even though it's using the warband engine). I just can't wait for the warband features patch :smile:

bobmunger said:
Maxim Suvorov said:
bobmunger said:
I regret getting it because it feels like a step back from Warband as it's got almost none of the warband features. I'm waiting for those before I play it.

A small refinement information: The first release was before Warband in Easter Europe.

Haha true mate thanks for the info.

Still, it doesn't change the order I've played them in, haha. It kind of feels like this is a mod for native rather than a new game to be honest. (Even though it's using the warband engine). I just can't wait for the warband features patch :smile:
it doesnt use the warband engine, it uses the old Mount and Blade engine.

I think the short and sweet answer is No. Just play Warband.

If you ever played the original or warband and though "I know what this needs... a random insta-gib generator in every battle!" then Fire and Sword is your game. The game have very little improvement in most of the areas that the others were lacking. I started a new game last night, and the third time I went in to a town was ambushed and one shot by a guy I could barely see on my screen, who proceeded to steal a pile of my money. I just quit playing, and will go back to Warband if I want to have fun playing through single player.

I purchased Fire and sword through steam for 5 bucks during their summer event. I feel like I grossly overpaid.

I'm really enjoying the contrast from Warband.  It can be a little frustrating with all the bugs, the instant kills from nowhere, and lacking features you'd expect.  But I've got 70+ hours into the game and still finding a lot of enjoyment so I think my $15 was well worth it.

If you're not sure if you might like it, wait for a steam sale.  i think it was a couple of bucks during the last sale.  I'd expect it to go on sale again either at the end of november or december (or both).

if i could go back and buy it all again, i simply wouldnt. not really worth buying imo. warband has much batter mods with guns that are FREE.

McWilly said:
if i could go back and buy it all again, i simply wouldnt. not really worth buying imo. warband has much batter mods with guns that are FREE.
agreed, waste of money :neutral: i enjoy the melee in warband that is completely absent in wfas :F

I've got a question about the storyline: Do you have to finish it, or can you still wander around aimlessly and do whatever?

Is it worth it? Not yet, if you already have Warband. If you spot it on sale on Steam or such, then by all means, grab it. It's only going to get better as they port over Warband stuff.

Is it worth it if you don't have Warband?... I'd say, for now, get Warband.

In the end, only you are going to be able to decide if you like it or not. If you want a huge melee focus where you can be a super hero and kill every one with a sword by yourself, It is not for you. If you like a more tactical approach to the fight, then I think you will enjoy F&S.

You can still get a decent melee weapon and tear the enemy apart, but you better be good at dancing and using human shields. You have to be far more careful about ignoring the enemy ranged units. Only a moron charges into a line of muskets on foot without a plan.

No one seems to be able to hit the broad side of a barn very effectively. Thus methods like volley fire and rolling fire were invented (and in the games command structure too.) It is missing fire by rank and fire and advance but hey, it can't be perfect. The combat is as good as can be expected. You play in the role of a commander much more than a "hero" now. but you will still see lots of action yourself. The day of the foot soldier as an attacking melee force is over. adapt to the technology in the game or die.

Bottom line is if you wanted to have more tactical battles with guns, it is a great game. As much fun as I had using mods and tweaking them even further to my liking, Warband's commands structure and bugs simply caused too many issues for the fighting style opened up in F&S.

I for the longest time never tried the  M&M mod for warband because of too many complaints and people whining, I finally tried it and I loved it. Fire and sword I held off for a while for the same reasons. It added much needed features to support gun warfare. It has its bugs, and its own problems, but over all I think it is a great addition to the series. Not every game is for everyone so people tend to write reviews based on their preference, not on if the game is any good for those who like a particular style. If you wanted better gun warfare, the choice of following a story, and a more difficult time in general, the game is for you. If you want to hold onto your sword, play warband. Simple as that. Don't go to space and expect stone age tactics.

Hope this helps. I love both games. One is guns, one is swords. Water and oil. Don't compare them.

MatthaisRagnarsson said:
I've got a question about the storyline: Do you have to finish it, or can you still wander around aimlessly and do whatever?
You may skip them entirely. And you may stop it anytime because the next step will wait you forever. There is no time limit.

BeanyUndead said:
I hated Fire and Sword when it first came out. If you read any of my posts about the game, you'd know that if one person hated it beyond compair it was me. That has changed however. Provided you use Neo Native mod (good textures and excellent musket sounds) and also tweak it so that it has battle continuation, it is actually quite compelling. I never thought I'd say this but now that the glaring problems have been fixed, it is actually quite fun. Great I might say. So yes, buy it but my recommendation involves the use of both Neo Native mod and Tweak for battle continuation.
I agree fire and sword is horrible!

When the game first game out, It was completely unplayable. Now after the patch, Its not too bad. Here is a list of  my gripes.

1. When you face a decent size army of about 100. The opposing force will slowly move to you. So I usually dash to them and start killing them form the back. Yea they fight back but with minimal force.

2.Weapons and item selections are horrible. For the little choices you have, the stats make no sense with prices

tempered2.jpg

handcrafted2.jpg

50k for lower swing, thrust, weapon reach, speed?
I'd rather have the 2 Handled lol

3. I'm sure its been said about 100 times, lords, marshals marriage.. yadda yadda yadda
4. Terrain is so boring. Its the same no matter where you go. No deserts or terrain change. You can't even get a terrain advantage when you engage in a battle.
5. Map is so small.
6. Siege defense can be boring/ aggravating. The AI Always uses ladders to siege (they sometimes walk up backwards and get stuck at the top). Controling your army on the wall nope.Theres 2 sides. Your army moves all around and sometimes just stands there. (even after a stand your ground order)
7. Motes? I built a few around each castles, however when the enemy sieges, its not there.
8. Fog is way to strong. You literally can't see past 15 feet.  A change should be made to increase the viewing distance or make the fog less thick.
9. Once your renown is high, it seems even armies that double yours, they just run from you. Even when they have elite units.
10. You piss off a faction, all you have to do is just pay your way out. So you could basically take over a city, then pay for peace. Its not totally bad thing, except for no repercussions.
11. Slave traders where are you? I'm lucky to find 1 in the span of 100 days.
12. Bye Bye arenas, we'll miss you. Sometimes its nice to have a break and just do some useless fighting.
13. I hate when you tell your army to charge, then the enemy breaks, and there goes most of your force chasing for a mile. I know this has been around for awhile, but when you see all your infantry running a mile away for 3 ppl, its still just retarded.. This time Around I expected change!. Maybe they should code in where its a  1:1 ratio. 1 enemy is retreating so only 1 should chase? OMG here comes the next wave and your solo trying to get forces grouped up again. I know I will get trolled but I honestly don't care.  I guess You can always Boost up battle size.. Kinda helps a bit (for the people who can)

The good
1. Fighting is a bit more fluid. 
2. I like the merchant guild with money interest. But its just stupid how you have to take everything out, or you can't add without taking it all out.

I know originally this was supposed to be an expansion which turned into a stand alone, but at best, I don't even consider this an item pack lol. To me this game isn't even worth $5 until they fix the major bugs that are still riddled in the game.

So IMO, Warband is the way to go.

I didn't buy it because i was testing first by downloading of the internet, but everyone is complaining about the Bugs in the game that occurs since warband (even i) that start by day 100...

RelicalChaos said:
I know originally this was supposed to be an expansion which turned into a stand alone, but at best, I don't even consider this an item pack lol. To me this game isn't even worth $5 until they fix the major bugs that are still riddled in the game.

The games definitely needs a lot of work still. Warband was no bag of roses when it came out either though. I do agree that until more bugs are fixed warband is much better overall (if I had to compare them)

Personally I would say that warband may be better right now, but F&S has much more potential room to become as good or better. It's just no where near that yet.

Nameless_Terror said:
RelicalChaos said:

The games definitely needs a lot of work still. Warband was no bag of roses when it came out either though. I do agree that until more bugs are fixed warband is much better overall (if I had to compare them)

Personally I would say that warband may be better right now, but F&S has much more potential room to become as good or better. It's just no where near that yet.

That's the thing, its "Had" potential for 5 months now.  I agree Warband had its "issues" but overall it was still a very playable game. F&S, its missing allot of content and options that makes it virtually unplayable.

Back
Top Bottom