Internet Connection Sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey guys,

At work, I'm connected to the internet via Wired LAN so I want to share that with my other devices. I've set up the ad hoc network and got it running, but when I get to ICS, I encounter a bit of a problem.

When setting my ICS to enabled, and letting my new ad hoc network share, I get a warning saying that it resets my default gateway to the usual linksys default gateway, but my wired LAN uses a different default gateway. I decided to stop there for a while for fear of borking something.

My question is if I had gone through with it, would I have lost my connection to the internet, thus making the whole thing an exercise in futility or would it have reset my ad hoc's gateway to the usual linksys default gateway, thus allowing me to share my internet? If it was the former, is there any way I can bypass this little hurdle?

Edited upon recommendation from an esteemed peer.

I could never get it to work when I last tried something like this but that was about two years ago.

Easiest thing would be to just bring an extra router and plug that in would it not?

I'm on a rather tight budget to be honest, so I can't just go out and buy a router. Not to mention the fact that I'd probably get looks from the IT guy if I did that. It would definitely be the easiest way to go about it though. :razz:

Also, surprisingly Windows 8 has made internet sharing a lot easier for non-modified networks (it's literally just one check box and one drop down menu). It's the ad hoc connections that it's made difficult. Nothing a bit of mucking about in the CLI won't fix though.

Have you tried asking the IT guys how to do it? Or will they not allow it?

Removing the default gateway from your Wired LAN connection will mess up your connections, just make a note of your IP/default gateway settings before doing anything so you can set it back.

When setting up a second network (wireless ad hoc) make sure you don't set a default gateway, leave it blank. Then give any devices you connect to it the IP of your wireless adapter as a default gateway. You will need to make sure they get an IP address on the same network as your wireless adapter. When enabling ICS make sure you share the connection of your LAN, as far as I'm aware there's no way to stop it from changing the default gateway, but you can just go into your LAN adapter properties and change it back.

Please note: Connecting additional devices without the consent of your IT guys may really anger them. You are connecting unsecured (in their eyes at least) devices to their internal network, which is a security risk. Although if they're stupid/lazy enough to not lock down your ability to change network settings then it's kind of their own fault. Also ICS also may not work depending on what kind of router/firewall/security configuration they have set up on the network.

Thanks crazy, i'll give that a try.

J, I'm in a foreign country with no source of income (unpaid internship) and I only have 2 weeks to go. It's very hard for me to justify the cost when a tenner can buy me dinner twice over. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom