Inquiry about Project Idea - Forestry Tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all, I am not a modder. I am a professional forester, and a fan of these games. A colleague of mine recently put local LiDAR point cloud data in a gaming engine and allowed his avatar to walk around the 3D rendering of the local forest. I thought this was cool and could maybe be used to create a training atmosphere for forestry students to learn forest measurements. Then I realized that it did not have to be a real forest, and that probably most of the work to do that could be adapted from Warband.

The basic idea is that instead of equipping a weapon, you would equip a specific forestry tool to measure an in game tree. Diameter tapes, angle gauge for tree height, reel tapes for creating the circular plots, etc. It could even escalate to mimic regular game play where instead of "quests" you're given assignments or jobs as a consulting forester.

Does anyone have any input or interest in a project like this? I am curious the cost and feasibility. You would never sell a million copies of this but it could be made mandatory for students like they do for textbooks, and there could be grant funding.

You would need to create/have a scene prop for each single tree which you have categorized beforehand already with all the data that specific tree should contain. You cannot use the random battle map trees since there is no possibility to get the data like tree height of them from the engine. I am also not sure what exactly you have in mind for the activities but in the end it would basically just be 'point that tool to this tree and get the data' which might be interesting the first few times but get boring really quickly.

You would have nearly zero costs since there are many trees around at the different OSP in my opinion. Biggest cost factor would be time since you would need to create each scene manually until it looks fine for you and you would need a bit time to create the quests in some way. With time it's also feasible but that depends again on what kind of stuff you have in mind.
You can also not sell such a mod, so you would have zero income but making it mandatory. People would need to buy the base game and that's pretty much it.

Yes you are correct on all accounts. It definitely could be boring, but the alternative is watching a power point or something similarly ineffective. This would be either for a primer before going out into the field, or in the case that they make me teach this online due to COVID or other reason.

Back
Top Bottom