Inaccurate geography of the Netherlands and northwest Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

The size of the Netherlands region (where the Kingdom of Friese lies) is way too small. If you open a real map, you will see that the Netherlands is roughly the same size as Denmark's mainland. Yet in this DLC, Netherlands is about 1/5 the size of Denmark. It's a nice DLC, and so far I'm really enjoying it, but I just can't help but wonder what were the developers thinking when creating the region of the Netherlands and northwest Germany. It's unrealistically small.

Canthinkofaname said:
The size of the Netherlands region (where the Kingdom of Friese lies) is way too small. If you open a real map, you will see that the Netherlands is roughly the same size as Denmark's mainland. Yet in this DLC, Netherlands is about 1/5 the size of Denmark. It's a nice DLC, and so far I'm really enjoying it, but I just can't help but wonder what were the developers thinking when creating the region of the Netherlands and northwest Germany. It's unrealistically small.

they were think oh **** if we make this bigger we have to do more work!

hrotha said:
Bear in mind the coastline was pretty different back then though.

Not really. In the 9th century it was pretty much the same like today. The only difference is that the Dutch reclaimed some land from the marshes, so it added some landmass to the inner Netherlands, however it doesn't change the fact that the Netherlands was always roughly the same size like Denmark's mainland. And that is not even to mention northwest Germany in this DLC, which is pretty much nonexistent.

I must be an idiot, I can see England, Ireland & Scotland...how do I play as Viking?! Or Frisian for that matter? Where is the invasion, raiding by sea or conquest coming from these areas? Is this being released in stages? Love the game, new to Mount and Blade so please be gentle with the replies.
Best regards
Len

Lenmeister said:
I must be an idiot, I can see England, Ireland & Scotland...how do I play as Viking?! Or Frisian for that matter? Where is the invasion, raiding by sea or conquest coming from these areas? Is this being released in stages? Love the game, new to Mount and Blade so please be gentle with the replies.
Best regards
Len

It's to reflect historical accuracy; These voyages were expensive to organize and prepare. In the game, such as previous games,one has to acquire capital first by fighting bandits/freemen and doing favors for lords. However it isn't too expensive to hitch a ride over to England from a port.

EomarthofRohan said:
It's probably purposefully inaccurate to represent maps of the area from the era it takes place in.

You raise a valid point, but somehow I really doubt this is the case. There are many medieval-themed or ancient-themed games out there, nearly all of them (if not all) use modern geographical maps. Perhaps there were technical limitations which made them decide to sacrifice the geographical accuracy of this region. Or maybe like Pamper_Me said, for some reason they decided that investing their time in creating a proper map for this region is just not worth it. Or maybe there is another reason. It's just that for people like me who are a bit familiar with the geography of Europe, it seems odd. So I hope the developers clarify their reason for this quite serious geographical inaccuracy.

I totally agree with you man and you can't go by land from Frisia to Danmark :???: I think they didn't wanted too much work, they skip much scottish island that where known Viking colonies, you can see too that the french coast is like WIP, doesn't matter for the DLC, but just give the feeling that the guy who made the map was bored to finish.

Back
Top Bottom