Improvising, Roleplaying and Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Goyyyio

Sergeant
This kind of sandbox roleplaying games without a storyline, where you can influence the world, pretty much work like improvisation acting:

In improvisation acting, sometimes you have a base which is the characters and the world/place, after that you just act and improvise accordingly. It's also important that the characters, actors, interact with each other accordingly, for example, an actor comes with an idea, the other actors should react to this and come up with a response that makes sense, sometimes breaking expectations, sometimes just following the idea. This is called action - reaction. If the actors don't react, or start making nonsensical reactions, the scene becomes awkward, it becomes unbearable to see, and the immersion breaks instantly.

So what this has to do with roleplaying, and Bannerlord?

Well roleplaying is fascinating to me, mostly the group of people that meets up to roleplay are often mocked for playing fantasy games, but for me, roleplayers are just improvisation actors having fun, D&D games is pretty much that, making storylines on the go and every actor reacting to each other accordingly, same thing happens in Bannerlord, people create their characters and start to interact with the world... And here's the problem. The NPCs in this case are the ones supposed to replace the actors, they ARE the actors actually, but this is more like acting with mannequins and pretending they say things to you and react, because the NPCs have barely any response to give according to your actions. Kill someone's child, you barely get any reaction, just a line and that's it. Your wife is impregnated, yeah, no dialog about that, being the unstoppable champion of tournaments without a single loss, no reaction to that, you get a few lines after you get married, that's cool. The thing is getting married happens after you make a barter transaction wherever the lord is standing, so that's underwhelming nonetheless.

You see what I mean, I think this game has every tool to make roleplaying possible, but the characters are so dull. So boring, and gameplay wise they don't do anything either. The world should react in any way possible. Returning to killing someone's child, you could get some dialog lines, sure, but you need the action too, what if depending of the NPCs traits you either get a lord building armies to chase you only out of spite, or a more cool minded lord would send hired killers to your doors, or even get your own children killed, or a king may continue an unwinnable war because of anger of revenge, letting you use that in your advantage. You know how much these little, little details would spice up the game a thousand times more, because your actions have consequences in the world and you can see them, you can cause a chain reaction that could make you win a war or have your family killed. Take that into any aspect of the game and you have a solid RPG.

I know a lot of players create immense stories out of this game, and I'm happy you can do that, I wish I could, I just see bland reactions and my actions getting me nowhere but the same place I was before.

(I was writing this for the RP mod but it became too large and I thought it could be a thread of its own)

Last edited:
I know a lot of players create immense stories out of this game, and I'm happy you can do that, I wish I could, I just see bland reactions and my actions getting me nowhere but the same place I was before.
Yeah I feel ya.. It's the same to me.
Even in the early days of EA I was hyped because there was (or so I liked to imagine one) a dialogue structure and it will improve, and there was so much going on, or so I liked to imagine, but then, like you said, I was gettin nowhere new in every playthrough :sad:

Edit: I have a quick question...

I think the RP part of the game will come. I am extremely irritated by the design decisions and the slow pace of development, but I'm sure that one day they will be smart enough to make characters actual characters based around their traits. I remember in WB that Matheld would speak about how impressed she was that Borcha was cursing his enemies loudly while going into battle. This may as well be incorporated as a companion commenting on an another companion that has, for example, a "Daring" trait.

In the unimplemented code, there were some mentions of lords making their "Arch-nemesis", lord against which they held a particular vendetta. Some of these leftovers of a once more ambitious game are still visible in todays game. Start a new game and go to the encyclopedia page of Tais, and you will see on the right bar that he has "sworn vengeance" on someone, something people cannot do in the game currently. There were some other leftovers that experienced lord Penton of the Neretzes getting assassinated after the tutorial. You can go find screenshots of this. This was fixed, even though I think I also started the game with him dead (This was april, 2020).

In any case, there is SO much unused dialogue and functions in the base game that its a crime it has not been used. Especially mechanics like civil wars and usurpations (look it up, there's code for that), a TON of dialogue etc. I have no idea why it was all scrapped

I think the RP part of the game will come.
4JtYTVU.png

We will have to rely on mods

I think the RP part of the game will come. I am extremely irritated by the design decisions and the slow pace of development, but I'm sure that one day they will be smart enough to make characters actual characters based around their traits. I remember in WB that Matheld would speak about how impressed she was that Borcha was cursing his enemies loudly while going into battle. This may as well be incorporated as a companion commenting on an another companion that has, for example, a "Daring" trait.

In the unimplemented code, there were some mentions of lords making their "Arch-nemesis", lord against which they held a particular vendetta. Some of these leftovers of a once more ambitious game are still visible in todays game. Start a new game and go to the encyclopedia page of Tais, and you will see on the right bar that he has "sworn vengeance" on someone, something people cannot do in the game currently. There were some other leftovers that experienced lord Penton of the Neretzes getting assassinated after the tutorial. You can go find screenshots of this. This was fixed, even though I think I also started the game with him dead (This was april, 2020).

In any case, there is SO much unused dialogue and functions in the base game that its a crime it has not been used. Especially mechanics like civil wars and usurpations (look it up, there's code for that), a TON of dialogue etc. I have no idea why it was all scrapped
nice info, but I doubt they'll apply any of this honestly. They've already scrapped good ideas in the past and this must be residues from more scrapped ideas, I have a little amount of hope that something RP related is coming, but my expectations are low.

And though, even if we get more dialogs/features, remember when we asked for prison breaks? Remember what we got from it? A half baked feature that works worse than it did in Warband, idk, I hope they have time to work on it now that performance improved and the game is finally playable.

No I'm not mocking the general theme of your post, I made about the same points in my posts and agreed with others who have. If anything I'd be mocking the fact this is identical to the dozens of others that have been posted since and before Bannerlord, so 1) I do have to wonder what the point is besides just a mod request; because 2) it doesn't really matter if we don't want it, if it wasn't evident enough, TW's heels are fast digging into the inner core of the planet from how much community concern they've steadfastly bid defiance to.

No I'm not mocking the general theme of your post, I made about the same points in my posts and agreed with others who have. If anything I'd be mocking the fact this is identical to the dozens of others that have been posted since and before Bannerlord, so 1) I do have to wonder what the point is besides just a mod request; because 2) it doesn't really matter if we don't want it, if it wasn't evident enough, TW's heels are fast digging into the inner core of the planet from how much community concern they've steadfastly bid defiance to.
I'm just making a critique or Bannerlord lack of roleplaying methods hoping a dev would understand my points on why it's such a lackluster experience, and also, because it's fun to me to make these points, if I ever make a mod of my own I want to have these things on my mind while also reading other's opinions. I think posts that talk about this are never enough specially when modders are again starting to make up for TW's lack of interest

Good read
Ty, I realized it was kinda poorly written, I should double check before posting lol

Back
Top Bottom