Imprisoned Lords Escape Too Easily

Users who are viewing this thread

After you capture a lord and throw them in your dungeon it is highly likely they will have magically disappeared within a week. It renders taking lords prisoner pointless as there is no strategic gain to imprisoning them if they can simply leave and return with a 300 man army a few days later. Defeating a lord and taking them prisoner should weaken an enemy faction but currently it does nothing. The fact they can escape from your party is understandable but the fact they can just as easily leave your dungeon is absurd.

Seriously though. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve captured lords and ladies and thrown them into the dungeons, only to have them escape within the week (sometimes only 1 or 2 days) and return with a 100+ Army and start sieging my settlements. One would think that when holding an enemy lord or lady in a dungeon, it’s be the equivalent of maximum security penitentiary. The only way you could get out would be a very elaborate escape plan with many resources involved or you’re ransomed out.

Another thing that bothers me about the prison system, is that too often the lords/ladies are also ransomed out automatically without my approval? There needs to be a notification system set up for me to make those decisions, or a check box in my kingdom menu to allow them, or conversely disallow ransoms of my prisoners entirely without my distinct manual approval.

Honestly today is the first day I haven’t played bannerlord and it may seem silly but this is literally the reason. It has be sitting there thinking what is the point of capturing a lord if there is nothing to do with them. I can’t hold him as a bargaining chip for peace, I can’t prevent him reappearing with an army in 15 minutes and the reward for ransom is too little for it to be worthwhile especially considering he will probably have escaped my party by the time I reach the closest city. I’m considering executing every lord I capture as a serious alternative as it seems like the only way to protect my lands

Honestly today is the first day I haven’t played bannerlord and it may seem silly but this is literally the reason. It has be sitting there thinking what is the point of capturing a lord if there is nothing to do with them. I can’t hold him as a bargaining chip for peace, I can’t prevent him reappearing with an army in 15 minutes and the reward for ransom is too little for it to be worthwhile especially considering he will probably have escaped my party by the time I reach the closest city. I’m considering executing every lord I capture as a serious alternative as it seems like the only way to protect my lands
Indeed. I just started a new play through and I will be executing all of my enemies to prevent this. For science.

Maybe they should do in sort that at the end of each week, there's like... a 5% probability that the lord escapes, something like that. It should at least give you a few weeks.

I totally agree with that.
1. You should recieve a notification to approve/disapprove a ransom for lords YOU have captured.
2. Dungeons should be even more secure than your party's movile prisons.
3. The rate at which lords escpae your dungeons and party is just too high, they can createhuge armies in a matter of minutes, renderig capturing them completely pointless. Executing them is the only viable way of avoiding enemy armies of spamming your cities during war.

After you capture a lord and throw them in your dungeon it is highly likely they will have magically disappeared within a week. It renders taking lords prisoner pointless as there is no strategic gain to imprisoning them if they can simply leave and return with a 300 man army a few days later. Defeating a lord and taking them prisoner should weaken an enemy faction but currently it does nothing. The fact they can escape from your party is understandable but the fact they can just as easily leave your dungeon is absurd.
A couple of questions I have:
1. Do you have the upgrade that gives you a better dungeon for your castle?

2. Did you know you can ransom the prisoners yourself at a town?

Did you know you can ransom the prisoners yourself at a town?
I think you misunderstand the usefulness of having prisoners.

If you ransom enemy lords, they'll be free and recruit troops to fight against you again. People keep lords in their dungeons to make wars easier, this way they don't have to fights against as many stacks than they would if they'd release them for some pocket money.

Actually, in terms of statistics, freeing enemies after battle seems way more useful than capturing them, as it gives charm points, which are quite difficult to acquire.

I agree prisoners escape way too easily, and ransoms for nobles are ridiculously low, knowing how easy it is to gain money.

At the start of my first game (which is currently my only game) I started capturing and executing every member I found of little bandit-like factions. It is efficient.

Btw, why is executing bandits and rebels considered as dishonorable ?

I think you misunderstand the usefulness of having prisoners.

If you ransom enemy lords, they'll be free and recruit troops to fight against you again. People keep lords in their dungeons to make wars easier, this way they don't have to fights against as many stacks than they would if they'd release them for some pocket money.
No your right, it is helpful. I was just putting it out there for those who don't know.

I also would like to add that, even if you don't sell them and keep them as prisoners, due to the extremely slippery nature of the lord -possibly being a bug- you can't really get rid of the problem they cause. You can only execute them, and that has some serious and ridiculous consequences. I had this Jawwal family, capturing my faction's lords while they were trying to recruit. I captured them many times but I couldn't keep up with them as they were constantly able to escape from the dungeon or my party.

I think the easy escapes causes more problems with snowballing. It would be nice if captured lords were held longer to stop them from just regathering armies and emptying garrisons - which then makes besieging easier than it should be.

+1

This lead me to massive systematic executions. Which seems pointless too. I decapitated 3 emperors and people are still massively joining the empire.

Last edited:
+1

This lead me to massive systematic executions. Which seems pointless two. I decapitated 3 emperors and people are still massively joining the empire.
Same here. At a certain point I stopped bothered capturing or releasing the nobles and started executing all of them.

They do spawn way too easily though.

+
Needs to be fixed.
They are prisoners, not on a 2-3 day holiday.

And if you are a mercenary or a vassal and your ruler has an ability to ransom them as a part of a peace treaty, you should be informed about it.

Also if war ends, your prisoners immediately go home. Maybe it's a good idea, but not with the current state of diplomacy system, because in a few days they declare war on you again. And these lords collect an army too fast. So it becomes a circle of problems, not a simple one.

Last edited:
Yeah I captured 4-5 lords, when I got to the nearby city I found what I only have 2 lords to ransom, even though I captured them 2-3 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom