Ikisoft and motion capture

Users who are viewing this thread

Balinux

Sergeant Knight
So, apparently armagan has been using motion capture to perfect m&b's fighting animations. But does Ikisoft actually own the technology? If so, couldn't they do more animations, like ladder climbing, door opening, siege-ram wielding,...

Discuss...

If so, I guess. But in the last beta release adding the ability to climb ladders, open doors, wield siege-rams and other stuff? I wouldn't count on it! You also must understand that adding things like that isn't just a matter of sticking an animation in, there's a bit more to it.

Well, it would certainly open some interesting opportunities. I would love to be able to do stuff like climb ladders, open doors, drag objects, etc. I quess we'll have to wait and see what M&B 2 brings, or if there will be some sort of expansion pack.

They have some stuff over here, in the office. From what I understand it's not the best mocap tech available, but still to be used to some extent. (hint: Armağan wants to mocap horses, but he can't:razz:)

Well, at least some things are possible, more animations would surely help immersion. Motion capturing horses seems hard indeed, you need a large rig for that.

allthesedamnnamesaretaken said:
I'm surprised you can't just buy some motion captured animated bones from some company and use it like you can with sounds, textures, models, etc

Selling the motion captured image of a horse wouldn't be a grow industry :wink:.

I mean, i'm sure its been done by various research institutions, but their not about to sell it to some videogame developer.

I'm surprised you can't just buy some motion captured animated bones from some company and use it like you can with sounds, textures, models, etc

actually, I think you can. There are several packs of mocap animations to be bought on 3D sites.

WETA digital has motion captured a LOT of horse movement for the LOTR films. It might be a good idea  for Armagan to try contacting them. (even if it doesn't work, it's worth a try.)

Merlkir said:

actually, I think you can. There are several packs of mocap animations to be bought on 3D sites.

WETA digital has motion captured a LOT of horse movement for the LOTR films. It might be a good idea  for Armagan to try contacting them. (even if it doesn't work, it's worth a try.)
Excellent ideas, although I think its kind of late for M&B 1.
Btw, only about 2 weeks left!

Ollieh said:
Merlkir said:

Excellent ideas, although I think its kind of late for M&B 1.
Btw, only about 2 weeks left!

I think that the animation could be released as a beauty pack / patch later :smile:

Maelstorm said:
They have some stuff over here, in the office. From what I understand it's not the best mocap tech available, but still to be used to some extent. (hint: Armağan wants to mocap horses, but he can't:razz:)

If the issue is size, why not just find a runt or a very young but able colt/filly?

Swadius said:
Maelstorm said:

If the issue is size, why not just find a runt or a very young but able colt/filly?

from what I've heard on the LOTR DVDs, mocaping a horse requires a gym-sized space with quite many cameras. If you want to capture all kinds of speed, it makes sense, the horse needs space to achieve it.

Ollieh said:
Yeah, why not.

Now Merlkir, go back to work/draw for our beloved TLD.

you guys want only one thing and one thing only! :grin: I feel abused...

(but hey, I've been drawing a lot lately. no worries.)

I saw a short film about how motion capture was done for Actua Soccer. It was done by getting the people (Sheffield Wednesday footballers in this case) to go through the motions in a special darkroom with luminous pads attached to their bodies. You'd obviously need a very big room to get a horse up to a gallop.

Cloud Breaker said:
A bit off-topic question:

Were Medieval 2 Total War and Rome Total War horse animations motion captured too?

I think they weren't, because they don't look very natural. Especially the riders..

Back
Top Bottom