If you're a general/king how will you equip and organise your foot-soldiers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Captured Joe said:
Also shooting a bow effectively isn't as fast as you make it look like. 20 arrows in 30 seconds? That's nonsense.
I saw a bowman shoot multiple arrows in short succession once, each shot took him less than a second. Although to achieve this, he held the extra arrows in his left hand, together with the bow. So while his rate of fireshot was above 60 per minute, his "clip size" was 5-6. Also he shot at an archery target at 10-15 metres, and all of his arrows hit nicely, but bigger distance, combined with moving and/or multiple targets (especially the kind that sees you shooting at them) will need you to aim, and proper aiming needs time.

I forgot to tell you that the bowman is standing still and the musketmen are like ca 9 metres away from the bowman

If the 20 musketeers couldn't hit the bowman from 9 metres, than it really doesn't matter how fast the bowman shoots. And if the bowman suddenly appeared 9 metres from the musketeers after they fired their shots, they'd better just rush to the bowman (which would take less than 2 seconds) and club poor sod to death with their empty muskets.

674a27.jpg

8587e4.jpg

Rhodokguard said:
I would use bowmen in order to counter musketmen. 40percent of my army would contain bowmen. The bowmen dont need to reload like the musketmen(it takes at least 1 minut to reload a musket while it take 3 seconds to reload and shoot with a bow). I would have hilbardiers with shortswords, some few musketmen, many cannons. The cavalry would be like the swedish dragoons(16th century), they would be equipped with a gun and a sword and medium heavy armor. With hats. And then i would have horse archers, light armored. And then i would have light armored pikmen/swordsmen with muskets.

40 percent bowmen
5 percent musketmen
20percent cavalry.
10 percent horse atchers
20 percent hilebardians
+ 300 men who reload/fire the cannons
150 cannons
5 percent light infantry with guns
I don't know what kind of cannon you have, but only 2 men per cannon seems a bit short.

Froi said:
Rhodokguard said:
I would use bowmen in order to counter musketmen. 40percent of my army would contain bowmen. The bowmen dont need to reload like the musketmen(it takes at least 1 minut to reload a musket while it take 3 seconds to reload and shoot with a bow). I would have hilbardiers with shortswords, some few musketmen, many cannons. The cavalry would be like the swedish dragoons(16th century), they would be equipped with a gun and a sword and medium heavy armor. With hats. And then i would have horse archers, light armored. And then i would have light armored pikmen/swordsmen with muskets.

40 percent bowmen
5 percent musketmen
20percent cavalry.
10 percent horse atchers
20 percent hilebardians
+ 300 men who reload/fire the cannons
150 cannons
5 percent light infantry with guns
I don't know what kind of cannon you have, but only 2 men per cannon seems a bit short.
I thought 2 men per cannon would do.

Rhodokguard said:
I thought 2 men per cannon would do.

Not even close. If necessary, a napoleonic era cannon could be fired & reloaded by one man, but he'll have trouble even getting it back in position for the second shot & it'll be very slow.

You're more likely looking at something in the region of 20 or more men per gun in an artillery unit, although thats for the whole battery or company, not just the gunners themselves.

An example: Talavera, 1809. Wellington had 30 guns in 5 batteries which between them came to just over a thousand men, that's more than 30 per gun. Cuesta had 800 men with 30 guns, about 26 per gun. The French had 80 guns with 2000 men so 25 per gun.

I imagine the extra fellows are there to do all the jobs that aren't directly related to firing the gun, such as carrying ammunition, setting up earthworks, or other such necessary menial tasks.

I think it also has to do with pragmatism;

Two men can effectively fire a cannon. One man alone can do that aswell. However, if you have eight men, each doing a single one of the rather simple tasks required to fire to work together, you increase your rate of fire tremendously.

One man doing all on his own is slower than one man for inserting the charge+round, another man ramming the charge home, a third man preparing the 'zundgat' (whatever the term is in English) and a fourth man preparing a next shot, a fifth man working the elevation of the cannon while a seventh man is aiming, to have an eight man stand ready to light the cannon...

Yeah I think you are firing faster. Thereby, due to the simple expensiveness of a single cannon (a massive tube of metal on a finely engineered chassis) and the relative availability of manpower, it seems only logical to make the best use of those expensive guns.

Back to the main subject :arrow:...

Medieval Times

If a typical Medieval Army is numbered around 10.000-20.000, then I would likely have a composition of:
-7.000-14.000 Footmen, equipment will be standarnized. A footman would atleast have leather armor, mail coif is also good. Weapons will vary, offcourse, one-handers, two-handers, polearms, etc.
-500-1.000 Knights, good equipment, say a bascinet and plate armour. Weapons, some will have lances, others one-handers.
-4.000 Longbowmen, equipment will also be standarnized. They will use English longbows.
-The rest will be supporting units, sappers, engineers, etc.

They'll use some typical medieval formations; I don't really have much to say about formations :razz:.

I would go light skirmishers in front, then pikemen, then archers, then swordsman, with calv to both sides protecting flanks. when the enemy gets within archer range, they start shottings, when the enemy is about 50 meters or so from skirmishers, the skirmishers charge, archers retreat behind swordsman, and the calv run around and flank from behind...

meanwhile im up on a nice safe hill a mile away from the fighting...

Lol :lol:. Well, if you want to stay alive i think thats the best way.

Back
Top Bottom