I want to be a woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austupaio said:
You know what, I've been won over. Please allow all female players to provide the same services my companions do.

After all, they can cook for your men, they provide 'morale-boosting' services and you can even have pointless sex with them.

Oh, sure, I'm sure you'd like to call me sexist and report my post, but this is exactly what I've seen in the game and you can't argue with that.

You look at it with the eyes of a 21st century spoiled brat. Look at it while gripping your balls, balls a 17th century man should have to survive out there.
At those times, if a woman appeared to have metaphorical "balls", I'd have her checked for litteral ones too.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
All my life I've wanted to be a woman in computer games. It's been my dream ever since I was a young'un. It really disappoints me that <insert name of game here> won't allow me to be a woman in this game. There goes all my hopes and dreams of buying lovely silk dresses and attending the ball and meeting my prince charming. We could have had babies, little princes and princesses, raised in a house (a very big house) in the country, away from the hubris of court life.

Thanks a lot, TaleWorlds, you've crushed my dreams like Archonsod used to crush the skulls of trolls beneath his mighty hammer*  :sad:

*Not a euphemism

Haha best post of this thread.

xenoargh said:
Yes I would say that statistic has meaning. Stepping back a bit, I think you're confused about what a statistic is, in particular what the forum male to female ratio statistic means. You're arguing from a strawman, the statistic doesn't say what you think it is trying to say, all statistics are are data from the specific environment from which it is gathered, and though not perfect or definitive, it is tangible data.

Look... data is only useful if it's meaningful.

I believe a more fitting word would be comprehensive rather than meaningful.

That's why there's a whole science devoted to polling and using statistics correctly.  The data you've cited is not at all meaningful- i.e., we do not know the sample size, the number of respondents that choose not to answer the question at all (my guess: the majority), etc., nor whether they're being honest or not.

The problems you mention happens to all statistics. Apart from the Canadian statistics in which all people have to fill out, there really isn't any statistics that poll everyone or anything that can be said to be a significant portion of a population. Just as you cannot ensure that everyone fills out the profile gender selection, you really can't ensure that everyone that participates in a psychology poll or a marketing poll ensures that everyone that is approached fills it out. The only difference between these two is that the forum one is presented to the entire demography when marketing or scientific polls aren't.
When you put posters up around town inviting people to take a survey, it's guaranteed that some people who read it will decide not to come, yet this by itself isn't a strike against the survey, you have to demonstrate why the people who avoided the survey will vote in a completely different manner than those that decided to take it.

As for honesty, how is this unique to this specific statistic? With all due respect, how can you make sure that everyone is answering honestly? Simply sending an investigative team to inquire into every participant is a little unreasonable is it not? I think that you should take it at the person's word given that you have no reason to distrust it. In fact, I think this is the default position when you know nothing about the demographic at all. What is your justification to suppose that the people who did not fill out their gender box will be of a significantly different ratio than those that have filled it out? Simply saying we don't know and should withhold judgement just isn't good enough in this case since it isn't ll that weird to suppose that the people who filled out the gender box aren't all that different from those that haven't.

Really you're saying that a statistic can't have any "meaning" if it does not poll everyone, or everyone above a 50% margin. Your attack on this statistic, that it may not be filled out by everyone, is precisely what statistic do. It samples the population with a few numbers and extract it to the whole. You can't really know what is the exact male to female ratio on earth, but we do have a statistic we call accurate even if we haven't polled everyone alive at the moment.

You'r attack on the honesty of those filling out the box is, too, unjustified. Do we ask this question when we're collecting answers from people who are being polled on their political allegiances? Do we ask this question when they give answers to what they think of abortion? Do we ask this question when a parent tells you how many children they have?
There are circumstances to doubt these, but you have not laid out what justifications we have for doubting the ratio. If I ask a person what their favorite colour is, I would think that the default position would be that I hold this person's honesty on good faith, just as I hold in good faith, your claims that you are a man. I do not presently have any indication that you are lying to me, so why do you think that it is the case that there is a real chance that the people who fill out their gender boxes are lying?

So, your 'statistic' is junk.  It's like walking into a store, seeing that they have 10 apples and 1 orange, and claiming that all stores have a 10:1 ratio of apples to oranges.  We can't use it as even a starting-place for a meaningful conversation, basically.

No, it's like walking into a widgetypoons building, seeing 10 apples and 1 orange, and claiming that all the other widgetypoons are likely to have a ratio of 10 apples to 1 orange. Considering that we, at the present moment, know nothing about what the ratio of apples to oranges is in whatever a widgetypoons is, this is the only justified claim we can make about the apple to oranges ratio. It is the fact that we have no other information that makes this statistic stick.

The connection between those who don't care to fill up the gender box and those that do aren't different, or at least, you must explain why they are different to posit that there is likely a discrepancy between those that fill out that box and those that do not.
I think you are making an unjustified assumption that the people who don't fill out that box will be different than those that do at this present moment.

This thread is a shining example of The Internet.

Would it be enough to be a chick that everyone calls a guy? 

Changing the whole encounter tree to make you be an anachronistic joan d'arc seems like a very limited gain for a whole lot of work.

most of the military women we know of spent their years in service disguised as a man.  Jean d'Arc is an obvious exception, but if you trawl the internet long enough (or just read GM Fraser's Pyrates ) it becomes clear that we are dealing with mainly women who joined the (Army/Navy/Air Force) disguised as a male, for whatever reasons, and then were revealed as female.  Sometimes, this had nasty results for them, usually it meant the end of their military activities.

If anything, the character-creation options should end with 'and thus you disguise yourself as a man'

and you play as a de-facto man (no facial hair allowed)

If we really want historical accuracy I should be able to put over a wheel and flog my NPC's who question my command decisions. Might give Zagloba pause next time he "looks upset."  :razz:

what the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Really guys, does it even matter? Women, stop *****in', make a mod if you don't like it. Guys, stop putting women down.

Now ladies, make me a sammich.

But seriously, if you don't like it, I'm sure someone can make a damn mod, and for those who say Taleworlds are sexist, that makes no damn sense, unless they all have some sort of epiphany that opened up some sort of black hole containing the essence of women hating, if they were sexist, they probably wouldn't have included the option to play as a woman in Warband.

Damn feminists, they see one ounce of "women aren't suited to go out and butcher men" and pounce on men, screaming something about sexism, and to paraphrase from someone somewhere in this thread I know posted something like this, how many women officers and generals were there? Women Tsars? Blah.

nox said:
This thread is a shining example of The Internet.

Would it be enough to be a chick that everyone calls a guy? 

Changing the whole encounter tree to make you be an anachronistic joan d'arc seems like a very limited gain for a whole lot of work.

No!

Everyone should also have to be Swedish, as anything else is discriminating against the religion of IKEA.

Also, I suggest everyone be an androgynous ghost instead of male or female.

I think you can become a women in the game by using Edit mode.

Go to warband , fidn your fav mod . COpy all the face textures. Then copy it and put it in With Fire And Fire. Go to edit mod and chose your best face as a women.

Prophesy of perdor faces is really good. I mix it with Floris Mod Pack

I'm still somewhat confused about all of this gender business. I've played a hundred fantastic games where you play as a male protagonist, with no female protagonist in sight. Monkey Island. Planescape: Torment. James Bond: Goldeneye. Broken Sword (granted, later instalments allow you to play as Nico, but you start out as Stobbart). Zool. Prince of Persia(s). Pacman. Although I question both the gender and sexual orientation of ghost #3.

Can't a person just enjoy a game for what it is, instead of what it is not?

I have a simple solution: If you can't enjoy playing a game that does not allow you to play as a female protagonist, then don't bother buying this game. Get back to your RPGs or The Sims, or whatever allows your gender to feel vindicated to the gaming industry. Leave everybody else in peace.

Personally, I feel that the best games are the ones where the protagonist has no gender. Sorts of like Space Invaders or Asteroids. Nobody gets pissed off about where a space-ship's reproductive organs are placed, because it has none.

A woman trying to lead an army of bloodthirsty Cossacks, war-mongering mongols, or wear heavy armor that's thicker than her entire body plus a helmet, musket, and gloves ?

If someone wants a woman in Wfas, think again and hit yourself in the head because you're clearly ****** stupid as hell.

go historical accuracy

equality laws are just there to prop up the inferior in most cases IMHO. Women are barred from the infantry and such for a very real reason. I have heard one of the reasons is because of the possibility of ''rape and murder'' of scores of your countries women is far worse than the death of men also physical ability etc (U MAD FEMINISTS?)

Then again it is just a game but it depends how accurate to the time period you want to go.

p.s if women are brought back i can run around naked and play the game 1 handed :wink:

Well, that's just the thing. Half the time, when women are put into computer games as protagonists, it's of the large-bosomed, scantily-clad variety. And yet I've heard complaints from gamers (men and women alike, I'm sure) that when female characters are put in armour, the stuff is bulky, unflattering and unfeminine.

As far as historical accuracy goes, it's correct that very few women would ever have gotten the chance to lead men in battle, but it's not unheard of; Joan of Arc and Boadiccea are two, but how much weight in armour and weapons they had to lug around is a little unclear. It's not just a question of weight though -- I know guys who would struggle to push around the 200kg of bike I have, but then, I'm used to handling it, and I've built up my strength over time. Most women will never be as strong as most men because of physical differences, but can a strong woman be as strong or stronger than a weak man? Sure. Not every man is capable of serving in an army. Some are too overweight, or underweight, or have health problems, whatever, but a healthy individual, whether male or female, can build up their strength and cardio fitness with training.

I still don't agree with all the "waaah waaah I want to be a woman" complaining though.

Lord Brutus said:
OMG, Llandy out of off-topic is a sure sign of the apocalypse to come.  We're all doomed.

Yes, yes, repent, sinners!

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Well, that's just the thing. Half the time, when women are put into computer games as protagonists, it's of the large-bosomed, scantily-clad variety. And yet I've heard complaints from gamers (men and women alike, I'm sure) that when female characters are put in armour, the stuff is bulky, unflattering and unfeminine.

Isn't armour supposed to be like this? If there should be any psychological effect, it shouldn't be personal flattery and underlining of feminity, it should be intimidating towards the enemy... unless you're a 90 year old lady, then you can charge naked, that should be intimidating enough to make whole formations scatter... ugh...
Armours save lives, they're not another accessory to make your new haircut pop out. The fabulous haircut would be under a helmet too, if you are serious on surviving.

Sure, there are games, like MMORPG's for example where this rule works out pretty well:

armor-class-450x562.jpg

How feminine, how flattering, how delicate, but if you wore one of those in the European 17th century, then what? Pray that everyone aims at the metallic shiny parts?

Plus, if one wanted a "female" armour, it had to be custom made, to fit its owner. That needed money. Lots of money. And I don't think there were many women with money that wanted to go play with boys in this dirty sport called war.

Yes, that was rather my point. People complain if female protagonists are stereotypically scanty and buxom, and also complain if female protagonists can't be distinguished from their male counterparts. It's double standards, only I said it in fewer words than you.

@LLandy:

Did you know that we found no less than a Cossack woman leading troops, contemporaneously with Stephen Razin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alyona

IOW, the whole history argument's just junk.  It could happen.  It did happen.

The whole reason people try bringing it up is that I've forgotten to stick that in their faces every page :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom