I hope it's a joke

Users who are viewing this thread

Personally I'm excited for these skins that we will get to use only in the armory because the MP part of the game doesn't even work.

Because progression based mechanics are proven to help with player retention. At the current stage of MP - I don't think it will achieve much; but there is a reason mechanics like this are common across video games. It keeps people coming back.

I'll admit I certainly grinded out more Skirmish games then I would have liked during the beta just to get that 250 win badge.
Warband didn't need that at all

I care because this has already negatively affected the game design. Instead of multiple armor slots with unique armor values, we now have a single armor skin.

Ah good point I didn't realize that was happening. Maybe there should be a server option to disable skins, and have it disabled on ranked skirmish as well. (Again, for the 10 players who still play lol)

I'm not sure having achievements or unlockables is really player exploitation...

I'll agree it is a simplification of the armour system we had in Warband. Though it does offer one advantage - cosmetics are not tied to gameplay mechanics. Which IMPO is always a win.
Most people dont mind cosmetics in a game they enjoy playing. Bannerlord right now is incredily difficult to enjoy, and adding cosmetics instead of custom servers is baffling considering Mount & Blade survived because of the modding community.
Paid skins are fine too, theres a ton of cool things you can do with that, and again, I sure dont mind throwing a few euros their way if the game is worth it, but its not.
This conversation is irrelevant anyway, I doubt this'll be added this year.
Theres so much they could add that would improve the player experience and make a profit on, just customization things.

Call it what you will, but they're leveraging addictive elements to make people grind. The next step is accept money in exchange for less grinding...

I loved the fact that in Warband, I could tell where someone's weak spots were just by looking at them. Wearing platemail and barefoot? Sweep the leg. No helmet? Stab the face. Needing to memorize arbitrary stats on some skin I don't even have access to is not a win.
The satisfaction of seing someone who tanked up body armor, having a full plated armor, but no helmet, then 1 hitting them with a sword because of 0 head armor.....MMMMMMMMMMMMMM good times, sure glad we wont experience that in the future.

It is more popular than Bannerlord mp.
this

Warband MP had many aspects to it and maintained 1000 concurrent MP players at prime evening time a decade after release. That’s impressive considering how dated many aspects of the game are. Customisation, custom servers and the facilitation of community (and thereby competitive) elements were the lifeblood of Warband’s MP. Even with Bannerlord’s combat, which I think is a dramatic downgrade on Warband’s, custom servers and customisation could surely have maintained a significant MP community for events.

Arguing that Warband’s MP was a failure because it had a small playerbase is probably the dumbest argument possible when relating it to Bannerlord’s, because BL literally has several times fewer players in MP at any given time. That’s even given the fact that Warband’s MP playerbase is made up of almost completely different players to what it was in 2013-2015, while BL seems to waver and struggle to attract anyone new because it still lacks the core community features that supported Warband’s MP.

Setting aside the effort and consequences of adding a skin system, will the skins even be worth it? The game has some issues when it comes to high tier armor variation and while this could be easily be solved by adding more extreme and silly skins (like a wedding dress) that won't happen because the skins have to look at least vaguely consistent with the armor values of thier unit. Looking at the screenshot in the op the skins are slight changes at best, I don't see myself griding for any unless TW has some plans on greatly expanding the armory.

hey guys don't forget the emotes they are going to add...

backpack-kid-backpack-kid-dance.gif

I mean... warband mp wasn't exactly popular was it? Don't get me wrong I loved it... but a few hundred people at most is not exactly amazing these days.

there are more players on Warband multiplayer than on Bannerlord multiplayer

I remember taking a screen from a few months ago comparing the number of players out of the 2, and already before Warband had more

Warband's single siege server had almost as many players as the entire Bannerlord multi

now and after returning to the Bannerlord servers recently there are even fewer players
1629325123-multi-vide-3.png

1629325084-multi-vide-4.jpg

I remember taking a screen from a few months ago comparing the number of players out of the 2, and already before Warband had more

Warband's single siege server had almost as many players as the entire Bannerlord multi

now and after returning to the Bannerlord servers recently there are even fewer players

I'd say Bannerlord is at least 80 players on average in matchmaking

Assuming MP has a revival at some point and this is relevant:

Who cares if someone buys a special helmet with actual money instead of grinding for 4 hours. It doesn't impact you in any way. It incentives TW to focus more on MP if it's an additional source of profit. Additionally, if TW follows the Guns of Icarus model, then items in the shop can be modder-made and some of the profit can go to them. You can support modders and devs with skins.

I'm sure barbie skins are TW's master plan all along, good call.

Also, it's not little kids who buy the most skins, it's LoL boomers buying their 12th Ahri skin. If you have a good compelling base game, the cosmetic model is proven. It doesn't impact gameplay and is completely optional.

Compare this to mobile games, where skins give you higher stats, and everything is covered in layers and layers of microtransactions.
No, you should only be rewarded for your skill. Multiplayer is purely skill based. If someone is walking around with a skin that they bought it disincentives the competitive side to compete for them, and TaleWorlds will just make a profit that way and lose track of what's important. We have all seen this happen in so many games...

Adding skins to a game that is enjoyable is a good options since it may bring more people back in terms of player retention. The sad truth is that Bannerlord is currently not enjoyable at all. No custom server, combat sucks, class system sucks, developers don't interact with the community, everything just sucks. As much as I want to get back into the game, they're not making it easy. This is just the wrong way to go but it was their plan from the start so yeah they cannot just change it now. This is like building a new house that doesn't even have the right foundation to stand on but already starting to work on decorating by adding plants etc. etc.

I think yall have always been fine with Bannerlord *eventually* getting cosmetics.

But to see it in the testing phase before multiplayer is even 1/10th of the way done is just insulting.

The fact that weve gotten more DLC leaks in the last 6 days than we have spectator mode, duel mode, 3rd perk, or Battle mode leaks in 8 months is telling. I can imagine even some of the people in Taleworlds offices arent happy with the direction of the game, or this stuff wouldnt get leaked out.

If anyone in the head positions at Taleworlds think that Cosmetics for an empty multiplayer will be remotely worth the investment they are out of their ****ing minds. The only chance for this to work is to have a multiplayer that people actually enjoy. Nobody is buying cosmetics for empty servers. Even if your community is 10% sharks who buy every cosmetic that is still like... 4 people. Not worth it.

Edit: Even if none of these skins are for irl money its still an awful time to implement them. How are you supposed to complete matches to earn the skins with in game currency when there are no matches to complete? Maybe we will get 10 gold for every minute we sit in queue.

Last edited:

I'm not arguing that - bannerlord MP has undoubtedly failed to grab a lasting audience. I just don't consider Warband a triumph in numbers alone. loyalty and retention yes - but it never had any wide appeal.

Adding skins to a game that is enjoyable is a good options since it may bring more people back in terms of player retention. The sad truth is that Bannerlord is currently not enjoyable at all. No custom server, combat sucks, class system sucks, developers don't interact with the community, everything just sucks. As much as I want to get back into the game, they're not making it easy. This is just the wrong way to go but it was their plan from the start so yeah they cannot just change it now. This is like building a new house that doesn't even have the right foundation to stand on but already starting to work on decorating by adding plants etc. etc.
Having played Warband MP & Bannerlord MP this week, I strongly disagree about the combat. i think there are certain aspects that need a lot of work. But I think the *feel* of combat in bannerlord is just about right. if anything Warband felt a little clunky by comparison.

I won't argue the other points, lack of custom servers is aweful and the class system I will admit hasn't grabbed the Warband community regardless of my feelings towards it.

Having played Warband MP & Bannerlord MP this week, I strongly disagree about the combat. i think there are certain aspects that need a lot of work. But I think the *feel* of combat in bannerlord is just about right. if anything Warband felt a little clunky by comparison.

Bannerlord combat and animations look smoother, but are more inconsistent in regards to hit detection, swing speed, damage calculations, movement and hitboxes.

Warband combat looks jankier, but the animations and hitboxes are so much more consistent that it creates fairness and understood rules of melee.

"Feel" is subjective, but to me a game feels better when it makes sense and the interactions between different classes and playstyles feel fair.

Bannerlord combat and animations look smoother, but are more inconsistent in regards to hit detection, swing speed, damage calculations, movement and hitboxes.

Warband combat looks jankier, but the animations and hitboxes are so much more consistent that it creates fairness and understood rules of melee.

"Feel" is subjective, but to me a game feels better when it makes sense and the interactions between different classes and playstyles feel fair.
I guess what I am trying to say is the combat mechanics are serviceable - but improvable. I don't see them as something holding MP back.

Back
Top Bottom