I get that you don't just snap code into existence...but what about scenes/models, story elements and other more code independent parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

I readily admit that bug-free code that implement a feature in a balanced and consistent way is hard. But scenes should be worked on regardless, writing can be done in advance and inserted. I refuse to believe that TW had to shift all priorities to feature implementation and polishing to the point that they would neglect these others aspects. I know little about coding but I think that we should have gotten more updates on these two fronts. Even if they feel like they had to put things on the back burner this feels to me like the team cannot really multitask or there is a lack of communication regarding what is pushable to a new patch.

Thoughts?

Bruh in 8 years they have done hardly any scenes. What do you think is going to happen in a few months. I would be surprised if they have added a single tree somewhere

just another thing to leave for the modders..... hell the modders should just group up and make mount and blade 3 while there at it

A fair argument would be that those things take time. (8yearsxd)

Though I don't understand why they don't just make community competitions for writing, art and scene-making. This series has (or.. "had") one of the most committed and passionate communities so I don't get why they wouldn't cooperate with us more directly. A chance to directly contribute to the game's development would bring back a good number of people to play / participate as well.

Bruh in 8 years they have done hardly any scenes. What do you think is going to happen in a few months. I would be surprised if they have added a single tree somewhere
A lot of those years were spent creating a new engine and then redoing that engine.They haven't had 8 years of development but yeah in the time they have had there should be more scenes.

Looking just at the progress in these past months I would estimate there's about 10 or 15 people working constantly to make patches. That's it. Not enought to make scenes and trying to turn the current build playable at the same time. I don't think there's a dedicated scene team, there's no explanation for how slow scenes are made or to how few there are. There might be a dude doing the art department's job though, some new armors get released every now and then (~2months). Of course, I could be wrong and they have in store some 60GB of new assets and scenes just waiting to be realeased in one single owesome update in the distant future, but I can't think of a reason any company would operate that way.

edit: You know, they might be changing the way scenes work, that would halt any scene making effort. Maybe they are turning it all into an triple A assassin's creed/god of war bonanza with parkour, chariot racing and quick time events. :iamamoron:

Last edited:
I readily admit that bug-free code that implement a feature in a balanced and consistent way is hard. But scenes should be worked on regardless, writing can be done in advance and inserted.
This is a generic meme:

186b73.jpg

They are just refacotering the writing and the scenes, the janitor and his kid is working hard on it.

But really, what would new scenes give us? More new broken siege stuff where the soldiers can´t use the ladders? More settlements scenes where nothing happens at all?

This is a generic meme:

186b73.jpg

They are just refacotering the writing and the scenes, the janitor and his kid is working hard on it.

But really, what would new scenes give us? More new broken siege stuff where the soldiers can´t use the ladders? More settlements scenes where nothing happens at all?

Bingo, scenes mean nothing right now.

Bingo, scenes mean nothing right now.
At this point the only enjoyable thing about Bannerlord is the renting and venting on the forums. Honest to god, i had way more joy spending time on here than i ever had playing Bannerlord lmao.
They should just make a single scene in a Tavern with everyone of us in. And we just argue how horrible Bannerlord is. We get 4th wall breaking dialogue. And each of us is gonna be a billionare from selling 1 Javelin. The Barkeeper tries to walk behind his counter, but there is a ladder infront of it so he just walks around it 24/7. There are the Leader of every faction sitting on a table right in the middle of the room declaring war on each other every 2 seconds. I would play that

A lot of those years were spent creating a new engine and then redoing that engine.They haven't had 8 years of development but yeah in the time they have had there should be more scenes.

They had screenshots of the game back in 2013 which means that the rendering engine was at least usable, and by 2014 they had videos of the editor. Anything they've done since then has been tweaking. Most people way overestimate how long it takes to make a game engine.

They had screenshots of the game back in 2013 which means that the rendering engine was at least usable, and by 2014 they had videos of the editor. Anything they've done since then has been tweaking. Most people way overestimate how long it takes to make a game engine.

They scrapped the engine and started over at some point after that.

No they didn't. There's no evidence whatsoever for that and people keep repeating it as if it's true.

The only thing remotely close to what you're describing is when they implemented PBR in around 2015 which is a more flexible rendering system, but lots of games were doing that at the time without having to start from scratch.

(A lot of this misinformation is probably my fault, because what did happen is that they had to scrap a lot of the assets they were using, and I was one of the few people who knew about that so I kept talking about it. But people misinterpreted that as having scrapped the entire game, which is ridiculous.)

Last edited:
This game definitely won't be done in the planned 1 year especially with the pace and content of the updates (even after the code refactor): we are lucky if the proper modding tools ever get released and the game gets out of Early Access. If I was optimistic, I would assume 2 years of EA, if pessimistic, then 5 years.

And even if it takes more than 1 year, there is no guarantee that major features and updates (or even modding tools) are coming and even if they will be for singleplayer, or the dying multiplayer.

No they didn't. There's no evidence whatsoever for that and people keep repeating it as if it's true.

The only thing remotely close to what you're describing is when they implemented PBR in around 2015 which is a more flexible rendering system, but lots of games were doing that at the time without having to start from scratch.

(A lot of this misinformation is probably my fault, because what did happen is that they had to scrap a lot of the assets they were using, and I was one of the few people who knew about that so I kept talking about it. But people misinterpreted that as having scrapped the entire game, which is ridiculous.)
I think the main reason those people believe that, is because of this PC Gamer article and interview(link) with TW from 2017.
This doesn't mean they had to scrap the engine for bannerlord before, but it might have left that impression in many.

“We are trying to make the best game we possibly can,” says Ali Erkin, TaleWorlds’ managing director, “and this unfortunately has meant going back to the design board in certain cases, rethinking certain features, or rewriting a piece of code that doesn’t perform as well as it should.” By way of an example, Erkin reveals that the character development system has been reworked three times from scratch. “When all is done and we see a system working really well, we feel that it was worth the extra time and effort,” Erkin continues. “While we missed our 2016 target, we are confident we’ll be able to get the game out in some form this year.”

Many of you say that scenes don't mean much and they'd better drop it and so on.
I can't agree here.

More scenes mean that when the time comes modders will have more things to play with and they will have less to worry regarding scene making and such (They will still make new scenes and models I'm sure but still)... so when modders will come with great ideas of how to populate those dead towns and how to make them more alive and how to create things that gives those scenes meaning, they will have less things to worry about.

And one thing TW did GREAT, and I mean, really great is all those scenes. I mean. They're big and beautiful and in the hands of right people with bright ideas they will be great functionally too.

At this point the only enjoyable thing about Bannerlord is the renting and venting on the forums. Honest to god, i had way more joy spending time on here than i ever had playing Bannerlord lmao.
They should just make a single scene in a Tavern with everyone of us in. And we just argue how horrible Bannerlord is. We get 4th wall breaking dialogue. And each of us is gonna be a billionare from selling 1 Javelin. The Barkeeper tries to walk behind his counter, but there is a ladder infront of it so he just walks around it 24/7. There are the Leader of every faction sitting on a table right in the middle of the room declaring war on each other every 2 seconds. I would play that
4th wall breaking dialogue is already in the game as part of the main questline. Nice immersion.
r58jbqo9dpd51.jpg

Back
Top Bottom