I dont understand this genre at all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't... I made a new item, messed around with stats, made it a firearm with the musket anims, added the mesh.

Then I copied it to do the rifles and other muskets.

alabaman said:
I don't think people make guns from scratch in most mods, they just change the crossbows model and edit the speeds. So basically they are "edited crossbows"
Actually, what many mods do is make the Crossbows Muskets/Rifles and keep the Firearms for Pistols. That way they can have two kinds of ammo and different standing and moving animations for both.

Articulo34 said:
alabaman said:
I don't think people make guns from scratch in most mods, they just change the crossbows model and edit the speeds. So basically they are "edited crossbows"
Actually, what many mods do is make the Crossbows Muskets/Rifles and keep the Firearms for Pistols. That way they can have two kinds of ammo and different standing and moving animations for both.

When you do that you get the kinds of guns i cant stand...the ones that shoot 2X speed arrows... (Eagle and radiant cross anyone?)

Articulo34 said:
alabaman said:
You can have both pistols and rifles use firearm proficiency and use separate animations for both.  Native doesn't have a musket item at all but it does have an itp_musket weapon type and animation for shooting it.  Of course the one proficiency covers both.

As to the mod I think there is a certain play style that people enjoy with the 1800's mods.  Unlike native archers and crossbows guns force you to change your tactics from a straight charge to having to actually flank a bit if you want to attack in melee.  It allows completely separate tactics from your standard mod.  And if you go the massed volley route then you have to think about how to defend against cavalry.  It is pretty fun.  Its one of the reasons I included guns in Revenge of the Berserk for one faction.

Well, really my main complaint is that they are all the same game with different nations and different uniforms, most of the mods dont even bother having a variety of guns.

I do enjoy 1866 though, probably because it is different and it has more features from your standard gun mod.

Evilknightz said:
Well, really my main complaint is that they are all the same game with different nations and different uniforms, most of the mods dont even bother having a variety of guns.

I do enjoy 1866 though, probably because it is different and it has more features from your standard gun mod.

1866 is really an atmospheric mod. You really feel like you're in the old west.

Unlike some other gun mods that just include some really similar guns in every faction and keep the old native map. But then again, changing the texture of caps is considered a mod these days.  :roll:

Berserker Pride said:
You can have both pistols and rifles use firearm proficiency and use separate animations for both.  Native doesn't have a musket item at all but it does have an itp_musket weapon type and animation for shooting it.  Of course the one proficiency covers both.
As far as i saw both muskets and pistols share the same entry animation for standing and moving, which is the one handed weapon type. Although its true they have different entries for shooting and reloading.

I might be wrong, im not much into animation thing, i just messed around with the txt file to add a few animations into tEatRC.

Evilknightz said:
This isnt trolling or hate mail, I've played Age of blackpowder for a few hours once but I do not understand why people keep making 18th century mods.

1:The whole idea of musket warfare is stupid if you cant have your troops shoot in volley after volley which isnt possible in M&B.

2: The gamplay is usualy the same for each one with no variations in the units other than nationality and extremely minor stat differences.

The 18th century simply doesnt work with M&B, Especially when the AI loves you charge you instead of lining up and shooting...
It's possible. Just tell them to hold fire, line them up and then tell them to fire at will. Provided they all have the same weapon, they'll reload as fast as eachother and fire at the same time.
It's all about the color

The thing with M&B is that it is at it's biggest skirmish warfare. The whole line of battle and firing like that is all well and good in the big battles with a thousands of men and battalions in combat, but M&B doesn't do that, so combat is more loose and flowing.

Have to say though I'm looking forward to a musket and bayonet era Warband mod because the mode-switch button is going to be great for switching between shooting and stabbing. :smile:

The only thing I hate about all gunpowder mods (EATRC and 1866 included) is that you can't hit anyone at point blank. This in fact is why I consider EATRC to be terrible, I got the "bring killer to vengeance" quest, hunted him down, shot him in thge face with a pistol about twenty times... nothing... I eventually killed him by charging with my horse because all I had was a rifle and pistol and neither did any damage whatsoever.

cardgame said:
The only thing I hate about all gunpowder mods (EATRC and 1866 included) is that you can't hit anyone at point blank. This in fact is why I consider EATRC to be terrible, I got the "bring killer to vengeance" quest, hunted him down, shot him in thge face with a pistol about twenty times... nothing... I eventually killed him by charging with my horse because all I had was a rifle and pistol and neither did any damage whatsoever.

Just found this :razz:

Venitius is right, perhaps is a M&B engine coded stuff.
However, I observed, at least after many hours in 1866, that point blank shooting is a reality,
if you shoot something @ your same level.
Many a time i've done that on horseback against other mounted npc;
trouble begins, (and also with arrows etc,) with u being on horseback, shooting point blank something which is not. That height difference at close quarter seems to be all the trouble.

this might have interest

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infantry_tactics_2.htm

The 1777 Charleville was considered by most Europeans as the best musket in the world. Prussian tests, for example, showed that Russian muskets were 1/3 less accurate than the weapons wielded by their foes. It was also distributed to the Americans, and later became the basis for the pattern of the Springfield Musket 1795. They are 60 1/2 inches, with a 45 inch barrel, and have "U.S." stamped on the butt stock. The French Charleville musket was considered by many Russians as the lightest and best made of all the European muskets. In comparison to the French musket, the British Brown Bess was larger and more durable, the Prussian, Swedish and old Russian muskets were considered as unwieldy. Napoleon was not impressed with the Austrian muskets. He wrote in September 1796: "We have a great quantity of muskets, but they are Austrian, and weigh too much. Our soldiers cannot use them." (Boycott-Brown - "The Road to Rivoli" p 441)
Major Hans Boersma (Netharland infantry) writes, "The reason the (Dutch) Jagers nonetheless received the Brown Bess is probably because the French muskets ... that were still around in some numbers were in a very poor condition. In fact, the ballistic performance and maximum range of the Brown Bess was inferior to that of the French Mod�le 1777 Corrig� � something that was recognised in the high command of the Netherlands army where the issuing of the Brown Bess was seen as a temporary measure. As early as August 1814, while the Brown Bess was still being widely distributed, it was decided that the French musket would become the standard infantry firearm for the Army. It would be produced in the Netherlands as the Model 1815, having a slightly shorter barrel than the 1777 Corrig�." (Source: footnotes to Boersma - " A Concise History of the Netherlands Battaillon Jagers No. 27 in the Waterloo Campaign, 1815. Part I" )

oh and one more thing - the reason for aiming higher to shoot further is because lead balls are shot instead of bullets and that the balls ranged from 11 to 13 mm or more and because that normal musket wasnt rifled and didnt provide the same stability when shot

Evilknightz said:
This isnt trolling or hate mail, I've played Age of blackpowder for a few hours once but I do not understand why people keep making 18th century mods.

1:The whole idea of musket warfare is stupid if you cant have your troops shoot in volley after volley which isnt possible in M&B.

2: The gamplay is usualy the same for each one with no variations in the units other than nationality and extremely minor stat differences.

The 18th century simply doesnt work with M&B, Especially when the AI loves you charge you instead of lining up and shooting...

Although i agree that these mods do need some sort of volley system(Which i doubt will ever be made) i feel that what you said was very disrespectful to bjorne and all the other AOB modders, who cares if you don't understand if you don't like it then don't play it, bjorne has put a lot of effort into his "hobby" to give us something completely for free(if i was him i would charge us for it).

So i suggest you either enjoy the mod or don't play it at all.

Why this sudden bump? Anyway. This thread is just stupid, but since it seems that people wish to discuss it then so be it.

me only and any real arguement against this thread is: Do it yourself you prune.

PS. I love you too Shadowarcher <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom