Huzzah! We are the Jatu!

Users who are viewing this thread

Gademis said:
If such aunit was added and say a Jatu party was comprised of 2-3 lancers, 5-6 raiders and 9-10 of the proposed unit then the Jatu would be a) a lot more realistic and  b) a little easier to handle
It sounds like you want to turn the Jatu into Khergits.

they arent regular steppe people, they earn everything with their sharp lances and strong arms :razz: they are positioned in very rich caravan route so they have money and stuff

Plus who wants an easier jatu lol?

I take army's of 50-60 new recruits ive got for garison duty's out to face down 20-30 jatu raiders to blood them before taking them to there posts so only the worthy survive :smile:.

And sometimes for the lols of it i take 40-50 rouge and merc knights to face down 100-200 jatu.
A mass knight charge down hill into jatu with knights and my companion force  is quite a sight and a dam fun battle on top of it :smile:.

Quite honestly they are my primary form of income. I use an entirely infantry army (Mettenheim Style!), and the first order I give is dismount all, followed by stand closer. Their charge may kill a couple in the first impact, but then it is mostly a case of mopping them up. It might be an idea to give their horses a higher charge value (or horses in general actually), so that the infantry square becomes somewhat less effective as a counter (because at the moment it demolishes cavalry in all forms, only Knights of the Lion seem capable of withstanding it... those guys I fear).

M0rdred said:
Quite honestly they are my primary form of income. I use an entirely infantry army (Mettenheim Style!), and the first order I give is dismount all, followed by stand closer. Their charge may kill a couple in the first impact, but then it is mostly a case of mopping them up. It might be an idea to give their horses a higher charge value (or horses in general actually), so that the infantry square becomes somewhat less effective as a counter (because at the moment it demolishes cavalry in all forms, only Knights of the Lion seem capable of withstanding it... those guys I fear).
Canon is - Infantry square should beat horses, horses should beat archers, and archers should beat infantry.

there were two types of infantry- anti cavalry with long things like spears etc. and melee anti infantry with shorter stuff like swords, defensive infantry and offensive infantry
horses should beat offensive infantry too, that's why medieval knights charge was pretty much unstoppable, even with spears that charging force was too much to stop by just spears, kamikaze like
well nevermind

I think they are my favorite units to fight.  They own me early on, but by the time I'm wasting Jatu bands I know I'm doin' good and it's time to take a castle.  I measure myself by them.  It's a love hate thing I laove to hate them there for they are my favorite.  "We are the Jatu" haunts my dreams.

M0rdred said:

There is a way to make cavalry charges more lethal for all cavalry.

In the file module.ini there is this setting:
horse_charge_damage_multiplier        = 3.5

Change that value to a higher value and all horses will be harder in the form of dealing more damage and not being stopped so much when hitting infantry. (Mason wanted this value to be at 5 at the release time of PoP 3.2 in November 2010.)

It will of course make the player's cavalry more deadly too.

I've actually found a way that I think is really simple and effective at neutralizing the jatu lancers. I have a mostly cavalry army, and what I do immediately at the start  charge the jatu alone while shooting my ruby rune bow (strange rune bow now  :sad: ).  I usually manage to kill one or two riders, and when they begin to get to close to me, I veer left (as it allows me to keep shooting as I ride past) and tell all my troops to charge. A large segment of the jatu usually follow me, and many of the rest get fouled by their brethern's forced. I lead the jatu in a large loop so that my troops crash into their flank. Works very well, at least for me.

Meh i dont like abusing the rather retarded AI that is incapable of thinking hmmm 50 of us to chase 1 guy may be a little much.
I just bull doze into them and keep hacking till i go down or they do :smile:.

Also the whole cavalry beats archers archers beat infantry thing is a load of crap its entirely down to the situation.

A unit of archers will crush cavalry if there on a steep hill.
While a unit of infantry will slaughter archers if there on flat ground.
Cavalry will likely rape both unless there in tight formation with a good number of spears , pikes and that kinda thing.
And so on.

mesor said:
Meh i dont like abusing the rather retarded AI that is incapable of thinking hmmm 50 of us to chase 1 guy may be a little much.
I just bull doze into them and keep hacking till i go down or they do :smile:.

Also the whole cavalry beats archers archers beat infantry thing is a load of crap its entirely down to the situation.

A unit of archers will crush cavalry if there on a steep hill.
While a unit of infantry will slaughter archers if there on flat ground.
Cavalry will likely rape both unless there in tight formation with a good number of spears , pikes and that kinda thing.
And so on.

thats why you rate that by weapon type not unit,

lance beats horse
horse beats bow/x-bow
bow/x-bow beat lance

real simple,just lance also means melee weapons in bow's case.

Bow/X-bow on a steep hill/mountain side will beat anything. Jatu are helpless and free kills as soon as you have a decent group of ranged units and lure them into mountainous terrain to fight.

Ravenstern rangers will kill anything that has to slowly walk up a hill, shielded, mounted, doesn't matter. Shields break, horses die, men fall. Ammo can run out during the last reinforcement wave (if you haven't changed the default values), but after that you are on top of a hill, with nearly untouched group of infantry with mainly 2handers, charging down a steep hill on to the enemy.

Never lost to Jatu so far. Free experience, loot and horses. Less on the prisoner side though, no blunt arrows :\

It's easy to kill whole Jatu armies with 100ish rangers if you get to pick the battlefield.

well their lance are sharp, their arms are strong. I feared them and perish.
their couched lance damage always makes my character 1st blood in battle and making me watchmode always

They've got good mounts and they've good good equipment. That makes them potent. Equipment and horse quality does mean more than level and skill, that's why gladiators and berzerkers are only good in numbers or better yet mixed in with armored units. The only foot unit line I have ever seen stand up to a Jatu charge is ebony gauntlet knights stacked. And you will still take some casualties, just not too bad.

You can take Ansen, Leslie, Riva, and Sarah put them in good armor, give them a decent weapon and a good horse and they will do surprisingly well.

I Usually won't mess with a Jatu warband without at least 12 T4 mounted, and another 3 dozen T1-T3 mounted.

DarkTemplar said:
there were two types of infantry- anti cavalry with long things like spears etc. and melee anti infantry with shorter stuff like swords, defensive infantry and offensive infantry
horses should beat offensive infantry too, that's why medieval knights charge was pretty much unstoppable, even with spears that charging force was too much to stop by just spears, kamikaze like
well nevermind

Well, if we start talking about reality, cavalry was the totally dominante force during medieval times more because of the lack (in most places) of a disciplined and well trained infantry than due to their own virtues (even if cavalry got its own virtues).

Considering that, in this game, infantry can be a disciplined and well trained force, I see no reason why cavalry shoudl dominate the battle field. If you want it to dominate as it did during medieval times, you should bump down infantry, not the contrary.

PS. I am talking about West Europe

No idea said:
DarkTemplar said:
well nevermind

Well, if we start talking about reality, cavalry was the totally dominante force during medieval times more because of the lack (in most places) of a disciplined and well trained infantry than due to their own virtues (even if cavalry got its own virtues).

Considering that, in this game, infantry can be a disciplined and well trained force, I see no reason why cavalry shoudl dominate the battle field. If you want it to dominate as it did during medieval times, you should bump down infantry, not the contrary.

PS. I am talking about West Europe
funny,hero adventurers could not have any horses and be even MORE deadly on foot then on a horse. the horse actually doesnt help them as much as you think,only mobility. besides,everything has its counter,its weakness. you just need to find it. get some huscarls/spearmen and theyll eat those horses.

The Jatu are a great source of income and troops but still they are a great pain

Every PoP veteran knows the feeling when you go into battle frenzy, choping left and right and then u turn around to face the other way and u see a Jatu Lancer in full gallop with lance couched just a meter away from your face!

I know that pain quite well, except usually I haven't even turned around, just get a message "You receive ungodly amount of couched lance damage!"  :shock:

Titus Pulo said:
The Jatu are a great source of income and troops but still they are a great pain

Every PoP veteran knows the feeling when you go into battle frenzy, choping left and right and then u turn around to face the other way and u see a Jatu Lancer in full gallop with lance couched just a meter away from your face!

Look, there is just no way an infantry man can stop a charging knight on a horse without being killed.  That horse weighs several hundred pounds, more like a thousand with all the equipment and rider.  No way a human that has to hold a spear or pike to brace can survive.  He might kill the horse, maybe injure the rider, but he's dead.  That should be a given.  It absolutely defies the laws of physics to have infantry be able to survive a lance charge against heavy cavalry.  No way.  Infantry in this are disciplined.  They tend to stick together which is deadly for cavalry when they slow down, but the initial impact is deadly and there is and should be no way to avoid that.

If you're looking for an infantry based mod, Brytenwalda is one.  There are no lances and all cav. is light as far as I can tell.  Everything has been nerfed except for infantry. 

The Jatu have made me much more cautious and changed the way I fight.  I always look back to see if I'm being followed before I lance a horseman from the side or in a way that will stop my horse.  I've been lanced too many times after lancing someone else and have learned.  Fighting the Jatu is one of the epic experiences PoP offers, especially their armies.  There's nothing like seeing a hundred lancers charging at your army while you counter-charge with your own cavalry.  Total carnage.  I also use the, ride ahead and lure the lancers away method, but with over 100 lancers, you can only lure so many, the rest are going to continue their charge.  Against the armies, the stream of lancers is so long that I can get into trouble trying to lure them away because I can't turn back into the main battle without encountering a lot of enemies.  Nothing like having 20 lancers at your back and seeing 50 more in front of you and you're all alone.  Only PoP will give you these type of challenges and give you a great sense of accomplishment when you ride through the enemy forces, killing several in the process.  I love the fast horses you and enemies have.  It makes for fast paced battles and absolute chaos on the battlefield.  Great.

Uhm it isnt actually hard to stop a charging horse if your in numbers.
Thats what the pike wall formation was built to do.
No horde no matter how well trained will willingly charge onto it and will slow down even if forced to do it.
That losses momentum and then the pike hitting it will likely stop it dead.
Its normally a wall of pikes so they will hit 3-4 horse and rider both being hit the odds of them continuing to charge down 12 ft of wood after the head has been plunged into them is extremely low.
It may destroy a pike but theres more behind and now a dead horse on the floor infront of the formation blocking the follow up waves.

Its dangerous if your formation is pore but any decently disciplined formation that has reasonable numbers would not have much trouble blocking a cavalry charge.

Back
Top Bottom