Huzzah! We are the Jatu!

Users who are viewing this thread

saxondragon

Sergeant Knight at Arms
The lands of the Jatu were suppose to be sort of a nomadic no-man's land. 

Implementing their equipment and fast horses we created something that has played out to be amazingly more potent that was originally intended.  What is thought provoking is that their stats, weapons and armor are not what I would call "Best in class".  Yet, as a player myself they are one of the most feared encounters, behind only the Noldor.

I know when I encounter them, I will never get away unscathed.

What do you think about them?

Best,

Saxondragon

Pretty much the same here. Even with a semi-professional army and good equipment I was still sacred of those 30 strong patrol groups simply because the lancers could knock off one of my precious Adventurers. There is nothing better then getting into a Noldor v. Jatu encounter on the Noldor side, those guys make it look so easy.

As far as early game solo encounters go they are what i fear most, the initial Adventure/Rogue Knight companies i can dodge (they have infantry to slow them down) or kill with a little luck, vanskerry i chase (even solo these guys are easy once they run out of ammo), Noldor i can simply avoid their woods... The Jatu though have fast map move speed and long lances in battle.

Dorrin said:
As far as early game solo encounters go they are what i fear most, the initial Adventure/Rogue Knight companies i can dodge (they have infantry to slow them down) or kill with a little luck, vanskerry i chase (even solo these guys are easy once they run out of ammo), Noldor i can simply avoid their woods... The Jatu though have fast map move speed and long lances in battle.

They are the reason that I try and level up path-finding as quickly as possible, or else I just stay on the other side of the map contending with the much easier Vanskerry Raiders and Heretics.

no matter what you do,no matter the size of the group the jatu always kill that ONE unit that i dont want killed...like that doomguide i trained for so long,or that twilight knight that i spent a damn qualis gem on! D: though i find that after the initial charge they kinda fall flat...i actually kinda find them underpowered all things considering, annoying though. i actually wouldnt mind seeing a bit of a buff on them in the future to be honest. actually they remind me of sarleon in how annoying they are,but to a higher degree.  lol

Their ability to breed fast and the fact that facing them on an open field means you better hurry up and close the gaps. I teamed up with a noldor party and they clashed against the Jatu. Their lances are just devastating. And with the mix of fast horses too doesnt help us. Theyre just blessed with the power of breaking necks and cashing checks.

I don't fear the Jatu excessively more than anyone else, at least not in the 'I'm going to lose!' kind of way.  Certainly, they remain deadly regardless of how good your party is, but I simply avoid them for the first several weeks/months.  They aren't in the middle of the map, and they're reasonably easy to avoid.  To farm the Jatu is never free, but their lances are worth it!

Their ability to kill -any- unit, ignoring their chances of victory, are really way I fear them.  After their initial charge, they tend to bunch and then their couched lances cease to be an issue.  If there are reinforcements, they may do some damage to outlier units.  The trouble is just when I don't have the cavalry to meet their initial charge with, then my party is in trouble. Certainly many of those that I send against that first charge are going to die, but I like the extra risk when fighting relatively small numbers of them. Fighting the Jatu with a Fierdsvain army is rather painful, unless you have enough Lady Valkyries to counter them with.  I've found that the Lady Valkyries are especially good at dealing with the Jatu, despite that they end up on foot frequently.

I basically like the Jatu the way they are, stat-wise and equipment wise.  Especially when they're in my party and I can micromanage their charges a bit better.

Hey guys !

Yes the Jatu are strong, but I like to hunt them down. I order my infantry to make a big block behind my archer. Then I let the Jatu charge. Yes I get some losses, but there is only few Jatu that manage to escape.

Since the jatu are fast, they always have prisoners to hire for my party after the battle.

Selvhan said:
Hey guys !

Yes the Jatu are strong, but I like to hunt them down. I order my infantry to make a big block behind my archer. Then I let the Jatu charge. Yes I get some losses, but there is only few Jatu that manage to escape.

Since the jatu are fast, they always have prisoners to hire for my party after the battle.

That's very true. Often they have given me 100+ prisoners to rescue, some of which are often knights.
They are risky to hunt but the rewards are great.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Jatu. I love when I can hire them at taverns 'cause they kick some serious ass, I hate when I bump into them on my way to Laria from Ravenstern cities. Still, they are the best way to acquire Noldor relations. Jatu and Noldor hate each other.

The only way I can defeat an army of them is to fall back all the way to the boundaries while leading them away from my army as much as possible so they have time to position. Then I can only hope that my archers pull their weight as effectively as they do against any other army as they're perhaps my only hope against that initial charge.

In short, I dread fighting them, even more so than the Noldor. The Noldor will pepper my army with arrows, which I always find entertaining to watch (regardless of which side of the conflict I'm on) since nearly everybody just drops from their volleys. Watching everybody get trampled isn't amusing in the least though. :???:

The only reason I don't like the Jatu is because they ALWAYS kill that one guy I don't want to die. The Jatu are the only thing that make my HA's get killed... (Besides Noldor and Demonic Magni. And Syla. God I hate that guy).

saxondragon said:
What do you think about them?

A double-edged sword.

Great as mercs, and they practically steamroll anything, even the Sarleon infantry and even Demonic Magnis. Their warlords are well worth the money.

FFL- King Crimson, you officially rock.

On to the topic at hand though I've always loved the Jatu. You can go around them if you're too weak to fight them, once you know how to kill them they're a fantastic source of loot, and once there are jatu armies about they can protect your holding in the east/north for you, provided you do a bit of kiting.

So long as you treat them with caution they're 100% beneficial.

Diablodude said:
FFL- King Crimson, you officially rock.

On to the topic at hand though I've always loved the Jatu. You can go around them if you're too weak to fight them, once you know how to kill them they're a fantastic source of loot, and once there are jatu armies about they can protect your holding in the east/north for you, provided you do a bit of kiting.

Ha ha, In the Court of the Crimson King is a fantastic album.

And its sort of the same with the Noldor. Get a settlement around that region and a positive relation with them and invading armies have to deal with their patrols. It's useful when starting your own kingdom.

Diablodude said:
once there are jatu armies about they can protect your holding in the east/north for you, provided you do a bit of kiting.

Seriously, once I use and abuse them to gain Noldor favor, I'll reverse the trend and help out Jatu against Empire, Sarleon, Ravenstern, and anything else. Eventually I'll get my relations to neutral and above, then those 1000 man Jatu armies won't bother me anymore, and they'll keep everything out of my stuff too.

Between them, the Noldor, and normal village patrols, by late game I'll have a some pretty good security forces roaming around Laria.

I would say they pretty much are 'glass cannons'. Because of their lances, their fast horses and the way in which the whole bunch of them rushes at you on their previously mentioned fast horses and pointy lances, their damage burst potential is huge.

Other units with similar stats will trade hits you and your units, and eventually get killed by your elite troops who are just stronger. With the Jatu, it's more of a 'first one to get hit dies' contest, not even your best troops are safe from a Jatu couched lance. Besides the occasional random-javelin-headshot death, nothing is as unexpected and deadly as a blindside-jatu-charge.

They're pretty laughable when they're on foot though, as i say, "as useless as a Jatu without a horse". Also, i think Iron Maiden has a song about fighting them...  "run to the hills!".

Overall they're just one of the many examples of great game desing in PoP <3

LeFuretFurtif said:
I would say they pretty much are 'glass cannons'. Because of their lances, their fast horses and the way in which the whole bunch of them rushes at you on their previously mentioned fast horses and pointy lances, their damage burst potential is huge.

Other units with similar stats will trade hits you and your units, and eventually get killed by your elite troops who are just stronger. With the Jatu, it's more of a 'first one to get hit dies' contest, not even your best troops are safe from a Jatu couched lance. Besides the occasional random-javelin-headshot death, nothing is as unexpected and deadly as a blindside-jatu-charge.

They're pretty laughable when they're on foot though, as i say, "as useless as a Jatu without a horse". Also, i think Iron Maiden has a song about fighting them...  "run to the hills!".

Overall they're just one of the many examples of great game desing in PoP <3

Yeah, its that killer charge that does the most damage.
Which is why I am always so relieved when the map is hilly or positions my troops around rocks or a river.
Honor lances are pathetic when they aren't couched.

Full Frontal Lobotomy said:
Yeah, its that killer charge that does the most damage.
Which is why I am always so relieved when the map is hilly or positions my troops around rocks or a river.
Honor lances are pathetic when they aren't couched.
I caught a major break just today while running trade goods between Ravenstern and the Empire. I was meandering along with 15 Ravenstern archers, a few Wardens, and Ansen and Julia.

Out of the clear blue I get blindsided by a group of 23 Jatu.  I'm cussing up a storm waiting for the map to load, then I let out a big cheer that freaks out my girlfriend! Mountains, cliffs and a river between me and the Jatu. I put everyone on the tallest hill I can find, and hold fire until the Jatu are crawling up the slope. Open fire, and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I got a some loot out of that gig.

For the smaller groups(~50 and below), the initial charge just falls apart if you and your companion bubble just charge at them right out the gate, and you wait to call in the rest of your cavalry until you engage. Can take out an equal sized Jatu group without getting anyone in your party killed a good amount of the time.The larger armies however, can be devastating, as that "initial charge" can last a good while the army charges in a couched lance stream. Overall, I think the Jatu have given me more appreciation of terrain usage then anything else.

Back
Top Bottom