Humans vs Zombies

Users who are viewing this thread

Right, a few of you may remember this from last year.  Twice a year, my campus runs a game of Humans vs Zombies, which is fundamentally a giant game of tag.  Since I received two PMs asking about whether I'd be playing again, I figured I'd write up a thread and report every so often on the events of the game.  First, some background

Rules
Basically, if a human shoots a zombie with a nerf gun, tags them with a foam sword, or throws a sock (*shrug*) at them, that zombie can't tag anyone for 15 minutes.  If, on the other hand, a zombie tags a human, that human turns his three ID cards over to the zombie.  These ID cards are used as "food" for the zombie, each card is enough food to supply one zombie for 48 hours.  Food must be used within a few hours of the kill, so each dead human sustains three zombies for 48 hours.  That human also joins the zombie horde.

Classrooms, academic buildings, eating facilities, and actual dorm rooms are off limits, but everywhere else, at any time, is fair game.  New this year is the concept of "missions", activities that human players can do to earn rewards.  Rewards are mostly unknown at this point, but include allowing the use of foam swords and bayonets.  Those that were here last spring remember how critical a foam sword was to human survival, given my dorm layout, so these missions are basically a way to force human players to leave their rooms.  What the missions actually entails remains unknown.

During the first three days of the game, no identifying markers must be worn, while three zombies are chosen randomly and allowed to feed.  After those three days, all humans must wear a green armband, while zombies where a green bandana on their heads.  For this reason, the incubation period is fairly dangerous to humans, since the three original zombies remain hidden for three days (all zombies converted in the incubation period must immediately wear their headbands.)

Last Game
Last game featured a new and improved zombie threat:  coordination.  A very skilled and dedicated zombie mob formed, targeting humans and hunting them down.  At the peak of the game, that group occasionally numbered in the twenties, while the largest known survivor group numbered all of three.  Last game too featured the development of the foam bayonet, pioneered and used to great effect by my group.  The weapon of choice was a Nerf Maverick with a foot long foam bayonet on the front, featuring excellent range, rate of fire, and close-quarters effectiveness.  Armed with this, we repeatedly forced our way out of our dorm against ten to fifteen zombies many times a day, through the one narrow chokepoint.  Eventually, as the largest and most active survivor group, we gained a pretty kickass reputation, before finally being brought down while heading to an entirely voluntary final showdown.  Misreading the rules, we thought we were safe going to the battle, but were sadly mistaken, and killed.  However, the turn time allowed us to participate in the final fight with the other few active humans, leading to a victory.  From there, the game stagnated.  Most of the remaining humans were holed up in their room, doing the smart (but very lame and very boring) thing, while the zombies starved.  Eventually, eight humans, out of the original 250, survived.

This game
One hour and fifteen minutes ago, the incubation period began.  The zombies are coordinated and dedicated (indeed, the founder of the premier zombie group asked myself and a friend if we wished to join, since we were clearly so interested in taking the game seriously), and so should pose an excellent threat.  Further, this time the good zombies all know my name and face and have expressed an interest in killing me.  To make things worse, foam swords are currently not allowed and I have a schedule that does not allow me to work with any of the members on my hall, so I shall have to run alone for quite a few times.

Basically, it should be an excellent game.  :twisted:

edit:  Pictures coming up tomorrow.

This so reminds me of the School Rumble episodes where people duked it out at school in a survival game. :razz:

Sounds cool.

Yeah I recall that, awesomeness. :smile: You live in Pittsburg if I recall it correctly, no?

Floor Polish said:
fantastic, go the zombie horde i say.
If the humans start winning in semi-lame ways, I do plan to jump ship and do my damndest for the horde.  Also, next semester I'm almost certainly going to try for being an original zombie.  I mean, playing a survivor is awesome, but it really sucks for the zombies when the humans only win through complete lameness.

hate games where people start playing it all in a logical fashion, really takes the fun out of it, i swear some people out there are so determined to be realists they forget the meaning of fun.

Yeh you were saying about this last year. It sounded awesome. Especially, if I recall correctly, a fight outside a shop. But it was interrupted by the shop owner.

I might of made that up.

MrCrotch said:
Yeh you were saying about this last year. It sounded awesome. Especially, if I recall correctly, a fight outside a shop. But it was interrupted by the shop owner.
Fight outside a hospital, actually, interrupted by hospital security officers.  Basically, my dorm is actually built into a hospital, which has its drop-off point just up a hill to us.  This walkway makes an excellent route to classes and allowed us to limit zombies' access to us to two sides.  They'd chased us from an eating facility and cut us off from our dorm, so we'd have to fight through.  As we swung around into the walkthrough area, one of my friends hopped a fence, got surprised by a zombie in mid-leap, shot up while in the air, and proceeded to slam into the guardrail, which attracted the attention of security guards and so forced us to leave the area. 

Some description of my campus, along with a map.  http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/s/o/sorc/public/html/goseca/pictures/pittmap.gif (I didn't feel like thumbnailing it or breaking tables, sorry).

In general, the campus is fairly linear, running from southwest to northeast.  The buildings in the northwest are either graduate school buildings or athletic buildings, so are largely worth ignoring.  I am residing in Lothrop Hall, in the far southwest (campus buildings are marked bold)  attached to Children's Hospital and just southeast of Presby hospital.  As you can see, campus buildings are scattered between other, normal city buildings, which are fair game.  Campus also covers a fair bit of ground, what with the buildings being separated by parts of the city. 

Expect the incubation period to be quite boring.  Surviving largely consists of not drawing attention to yourself and carrying a few socks in case you happen to run into zombies.  Also, smart original zombies will not grab people during the first day or two of the incubation period, since the spawn would have trouble finding people to feed on, and so would likely die.  For whatever reason, the incubation period also ends on a weekend, which means spawn will have trouble finding kills even after the incubation ends.  Monday should bring about a large explosion in zombie numbers as unprepared humans get killed going to and from class.  Also, three of the largest dorms open on to the same common area, which means any human in the Towers can pretty much resign themselves to eventual undeath.  Even going through Towers Lobby became something survivors just didn't do. 

Nerf_Maverick.jpg
The best weapon, by far.  Six shots, fairly accurate, and fairly powerful, it can easily be modded to shoot farther and ease reloads.  If you remove the air restrictors, you can use darts from the Longshot, adding another 10 feet to the range.  Finally, once you can use bayonets, the top rail makes an excellent attachment point for a foot-long foam weapon, giving one human the ability to kill at least seven zombies on an open field without effort. 

The NightfinderContaining only one shot, it nonetheless makes an excellent weapon to carry in your left hand.  The most accurate and long-ranged stock Nerf weapon, it is also incredibly easy to modify for increased range.  Fire it off at range, drop it, and then use the revolver for close-range combat. 

Finally, socks make an excellent weapon for a survivor running alone.  They're obviously light and most importantly, are not incredibly visible at range.  Most survivors are spotted not by their green armbands, but by their weaponry.  For the incubation period, this remains my weapon of choice.  However, my dorm set-up is such that I need a more versatile weapon once the game goes into full swing.  Socks simply don't have the rate-of-fire required.

Tarrantmw said:
Can you use airsoft rifles? That would be awesome.
It would be.  Problem is, last game we had some cops take issue with the nerfguns, so more realistic-looking weapons are probably out of the question.  It is, however, being looked into.  I also can see balance issues with them, since they hold much more ammunition, are more accurate, and have a faster rate-of-fire than nerf guns.  Removing the ability to use bayonets could help, of course, but airsoft weapons seem like they tip the balance in favor of the already powerful survivors.

Vilhjalmr said:
Ha! Excellent! I look forwards to update, and pictures! :smile:

Is there a website with stats like last time?
Yes.  There are currently 198 humans, three of which are actually hiding zombies. 
http://pitthvz.x10hosting.com/standings.php

Once some friends get back, I'll see about going down to take pictures of my dorm entrance.

Back
Top Bottom