How to properly move items from PoP to another mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zido

Recruit
First time poster, so I'm sorry if I'm not posting this in the correct location; please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I couldn't find another thread relating to moving items between mods, though.

So, for personal usage, I'm attempting to move the Netherworld Charger from the Prophesy of Pendor mod to the Diplomacy mod for Warband. I've copied the data of the Netherworld Charger from the item_kinds1.txt file of PoP into the item_kinds1.txt file of Diplomacy, it reads as follows:

itm_pop_netherworld_charger Netherworld_Charger Netherworld_Charger 1  charger_dark 0  65537 0 9001 110595670016 0.000000 1 0 90 0 6 500 33 37 0 0 35 0

But when I enter the game and access the Netherworld Charger through cheats, a red text message states that the game is "Unable to find charger_dark mesh"

The data of the horse is all there; the name, speed, maneuver, etc., but it has no icon, and when I use it in battle, the horse is invisible despite me being able to use it. So I figured this must be an issue with the .dds file I also transferred from the Textures folder; I tried placing the file in the Textures folder of both Diplomacy and the main M&B folder, but got the same result. I also tried removing the "pop" part of the line, so it simply reads "itm_netherworld_charger". I've messed around with a number of things, including transferring the PendorHorses.brf file to the Resources folder of Diplomacy and the CommonRes folder of the main M&B folder. I've even tried transferring EVERY Resource and Texture file from PoP to both of those. And I am making sure to change the Modules file to make it load the new resources/textures. Yet no matter what I do, the game still cannot find the texture/mesh data.

It's possible that I simply forgot to make a simple edit somewhere along the line of me trying dozens of different combinations, but I cannot figure out what it is I did wrong, and it's possible I'm going about this entirely the wrong way - which is why I've come here for help.

If anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

UPDATE: I got it figured out; by comparing the load_resource command in PoP's Module file to the one in Diplomacy, I realized that I made a mistake in the phrasing of the command, and was able to fix it. Now working perfectly :grin:

Isn't it only heresy if you mess directly with the divine entity that is Pendor? One might argue that spreading its divinity to other mods might be an act of genuine faith :wink:.

Deckenpuppel said:
Isn't it only heresy if you mess directly with the divine entity that is Pendor? One might argue that spreading its divinity to other mods might be an act of genuine faith :wink:.
You...
Maybe...

HERETIC! You corrupt my mind with thoughts of blasphemy!

I shall go purge myself with fire... and maybe some crackers... and dip... *incoherent mumbling*

Go save yourself some trouble and look that one up in the Forge section before you meddle next time.

Then, cease meddling with the .txt files.
Simply get openBRF or whatever the editor for Warband is along with Morgh´s Tools.

If you want to add/replace an item in Pendor another mod you need to edit the itemkinds.txt and import the meshes and textures that item uses into the new mod.

Which you didn´t, in the first try. You only edited the itemkinds.txt and that rather messy, via copied HEX. Which is the reason you hadn´t had an icon at all but the proper error message of the game. Which you solved by copying the whole Pendorhorses.brf which contains that data and a lot more.

So if you intend on doing that another time or two, stick to the guides in the forge for easier and successful action the next time. Learning by doing is fine, but a nice guide is speeding things up.

noosers said:
Go save yourself some trouble and look that one up in the Forge section before you meddle next time.

Then, cease meddling with the .txt files.
Simply get openBRF or whatever the editor for Warband is along with Morgh´s Tools.

If you want to add/replace an item in Pendor another mod you need to edit the itemkinds.txt and import the meshes and textures that item uses into the new mod.

Which you didn´t, in the first try. You only edited the itemkinds.txt and that rather messy, via copied HEX. Which is the reason you hadn´t had an icon at all but the proper error message of the game. Which you solved by copying the whole Pendorhorses.brf which contains that data and a lot more.

So if you intend on doing that another time or two, stick to the guides in the forge for easier and successful action the next time. Learning by doing is fine, but a nice guide is speeding things up.

Eh, I've been getting along fairly well. I did end up downloading OpenBRF, so now I can simply create a new .brf file with only the textures and models that I want to make use of, instead of, as you said, transferring the whole PendorHorses.brf file. Though it's worth noting that I DID move the texture file for the Netherworld Charger over to the textures folder of the module I was attempting to implement it into on the first try, but I wasn't aware of the correlation between .brf files and .dds files at that point. I knew that a bit of text wouldn't give me everything :razz:

I'd like to get to know my way around the .txt files so that I can edit them in ways that currently available programs won't; for example, I found a program that allows troop editing/creating more easily, but I couldn't find anything to change the default allegiance of lords, so I had to do that myself. For example, I could edit Emir Uqais' data to make him a vassal of King Ragnar from the very beginning. I tried applying this to turn the lords of the Sarranid Sultanate into lords of the player faction, but now I need to find a way to make the player king of the player faction by default; the conflict of them being vassals of someone who isn't a king caused some odd contradictions in-game. It's difficult at times, but simpler than I thought it'd be, and quite fun as well.

Still, I won't deny that some tutorials would be helpful; I cannot, no matter how hard I search, find a way to change a castle's default faction, and I'm not sure making the player a king automatically will be easy either. So I'll definitely have a look at the Forge forums, which I now realize would've been a more appropriate place for this post. Thanks for the suggestion  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom