How to delete ability of my prisoners to escape?

Users who are viewing this thread

You cant delete the abilty as such, unless you mod it.

You can lower the chance that they will escape with perks.

There is several that will lower the chance by x%.

I'm not sure if they all add up - read not really tested that.

But there is 2 perks that will each give 50% reduction to lords escapeing and also some others that will lower it by 10%.

Overall the chance to escape should be "reworked" so that until the lord/lady regen full hp they should not be able to escape, maybe have a slower healing than normal, so it would take atlast 5-7 days before they could make an attempt.

That would give you a chance to ransom or donate them etc(for influence and relation gains).
Just feels abit annoying when you have a fight just near a castle and are moveing to deposit it to the dungeon, and boom.. escaped.

Why do you think so?
He's right. There is a perk in each of those trees that give a 50% reduced escape chance. Those chances are added together so it's 100% for Lords. You can keep Lords indefinitely with those two perks.

It's a good strategy to take out a kingdom, keep all of the Lords prisoner and take all of the fiefs.

As nifty of an idea as capturing all the lords to cripple their kingdom... it seems impossible to me. I have always seen armies still running around by the time I am capturing their last fief... it would be silly to prolong the war just to try to capture them all. There are far too many lords in each clan (first noticeable to me when I tried to execute a bunch to weaken a kingdom a few characters ago).

It's a good strategy to take out a kingdom, keep all of the Lords prisoner

Well, more or less. I have been doing just that on my current playthrough (using those two skill perks) and there seems to be no end to the number of lords that any one kingdom has :facepalm:. I have captured 50+ lords and ladies all from the same kingdom to find just as many armies fielded an in-game week later :evil:.

Each clan will still field the same number of armies more or less... it is now just sons, daughters, cousins, wives, etc. leading them. I find it to not be worth keeping people in your prisoner train unless you are king and want to convert their clan: then it is convenient to keep the clan leader with you. (I could not convince a prisoner to join unless I was the king... am I remembering this correctly? It was not even an option from the prisoner when I was a vassal :???:) I have seen 6+ lords pop out of my prisoner train when I convince a clan leader to join me :roll:.

You really only need to wipe out a kingdom's army stack(s) once at the beginning of a war, then it does not matter if it is the same lord a couple of days later or a different lord... the new armies have all lower tier troops and are now push-overs. Sadly: I find little tactical advantage in this strategy and I will probably not repeat it for further characters. You can always chase down the clan leaders again if you need to convert them, and it must be done that way if you are not the ruling clan anyways.

It's neither impossible nor impractical.

In a bit of abstraction on the general military situation of the game, on default, a kingdom, at the start of the game, on average, has around 6~7 towns + around 9~12 castles + 9-10 clans. At the very start the troop numbers are low and is not at the full potential of what those territories and clans may achieve, but in a few years all kingdoms arrive at around:

* Total force 6,000~7,000-ish
* Around 30% of total force tied up as garrison = 1,800 - 2,000-ish
* Around 70% of total force as fielded troops = 4,000 - 5,000-ish
* Field troops led by 40-50 lords from those 10 clans = average size of parties 100~120-ish

In a typical war, not all parties in the kingdom show up at the same time. Usually the ones that may potentially gain land from the war, is the most likely to take part in the war, but about a quarter of the lords and their parties seem to never show up, and just do their own thing. Also, logistical differences such as relative distance, different army mustering locations and etc.. give out a staggered advance of enemy forces into your kingdom.

And thus, in an average war, of the 4,000 - 5,000 fielded troops an enemy kingdom has, the expected total invasion force is around 3,500 soldiers at the max. And due to reasons stated above they always come in staggered waves of armies consisting of anywhere between 800~1,500. It is very rare to see an AI enemy army that musters more than 1,500, and stuff like 1,700~2,000 are pretty rare.

So they usually come in at either 4 waves of 800-ish, or 3 waves 1,300-ish, consisting of around 30 parties.

Which means the following:

(1) You don't necessarily have to permanently keep anyone prisoner. At any given time, if you can maintain the current number of prisoners to over 25, ideally around 30, then effectively the enemy's fielded troop force is annihilated.

(2) Even if the lords escape in large enough number to form a new army, the overall size and quality of the army is severely diminished, with something like more than 1/3rd of their force being recruits or t1~2, making it super-easy to just crush them again and take them back as prisoner.

(3) With all of the above information, the best strategy in a war becomes to...
(a) wait for each of the 3~4 waves of enemy armies to wade into your territory
(b) when the incoming army initiates a siege, either gather a bigger a force right next to them, or get yourself involved in siege defense to destroy the army and hold all lords prisoner
(c) repeat the process about 3 times and effectively you've taken in most of the enemy lords that can fight at the moment.
(d) from this point on, is where you start a counter-offensive and hit out at enemy fiefs, because there is no enemy left to really challenge your own armies any more.

Usually, this strategy works well enough without even any of the escape chance related perks. Once around total 3,000 enemy soldiers are annihilated, from that point on you can leisurely lay siege, build 4x trebuchets to bring down the walls each time, and then repeat this about 3 times to take 3 enemy towns.... at which point the war will come to an end with them paying tribute.

At any given time, if you can maintain the current number of prisoners to over 25, ideally around 30, then effectively the enemy's fielded troop force is annihilated.
I'm telling you, this does not happen: the future armies are "effectively" much weaker, but not annihilated. In my current playthrough I now have over 100 lords permanently stuck in my prisoner train. I'm using the two skill perks mentioned earlier in this thread to prevent escape and this is the end-game where peace is not really doable (they expect me to pay them over 20k+ per day for peace that they will break in a week? :roll: silliness. They have been losing badly for a while now... even if it is a 3-front war...).

I'm not sure how the "paying for peace" is calculated, but once you own more than half the map it no longer makes sense. The other kingdoms think you "have a lot to lose" even if there is no chance of you losing it to them, so they think you should pay them. Yeah... no. They should be begging for mercy, not the other way around. :facepalm: This is a major contributor to the ALL WAR ALL THE TIME nonsense at the end. No, I am not weaker because we are facing a 4-front war. Yes, I will still wipe you out :twisted:.

Over 75 lords are from the same kingdom (Khuzaits) and their hired mercenaries, and they are still sending the occasional 300-400 troop armies out to try to retake fiefs. These armies are all fresh recruits, mostly tier 2s and 3s, but they very much exist with some brand new never-before-seen lords plucked out of the before-unseen extended families, and probably could take a weak fief if I did not stop offensively sieging and go crush them immediately :???:. (Especially if the walls were smashed and they can still walk right into the fief! Sometimes it is wise to use siege towers instead :fruity:)

My vassals are playing whack-a-mole retaking the same castles over and over again on the other side of the map (fighting Sturgia and Battania simultaneously). I'm pretty much wiping the Khuzaits out on my own; no one else comes this way unless I force them into my army, and then they leave immediately when we break it up. No other armies march this way or are formed here. Understandable. Every city and castle over here has been assigned to me with 100% opinion, with none on the other side of the map even having me as one of the 3 options, so the selfish lord attitude AI actually works pretty well: they want to increase their own holdings and not mine.

Amusingly: I shot up to like 10 fiefs as I took all the khuzait cities and castles with their lords continuing to refuse to join me even after they have no fiefs :cry: .

Ok, some AI should get more work. I think by this time lords should be coming to me and begging to join my empire: at least a dozen clans have already literally ceased to exist (thanks new patch!) from previously conquered kingdoms and these stubborn clan leaders should actually be fearing annihilation. Or you know, fading into the peasant class and anonymity. I'm not actually committing genocide... the original cultures are all still there in the towns and villages.:shifty:

Now that would make for a crazy mod: the ability to change the map by completely leveling cities and villages, or starting new ones in new locations. Of course, you would be choosing the culture of a freshly created village (which could grow into a city?), and that could lead to creepy genocide role playing :shock: And of course, creating new castles like the old Novas Aetas mod from Warband.

Or, you could just work on creating your own minor kingdom from scratch without having to attack other people and take their stuff. :iamamoron:

But it would make for some interesting game mechanics: trying to tie even more villages to a town to make a giant metropolis with a bigger population? Destroying villages to weaken a town down into village status? This would reek havoc on the trade caravans AI, though :dead:
Sorry for the rambling thought process, and the spoilers - within - spoilers :oops:

I'm telling you, this does not happen: the future armies are "effectively" much weaker, but not annihilated. In my current playthrough I now have over 100 lords permanently stuck in my prisoner train. I'm using the two skill perks mentioned earlier in this thread to prevent escape and this is the end-game where peace is not really doable (they expect me to pay them over 20k+ per day for peace that they will break in a week? :roll: silliness. They have been losing badly for a while now... even if it is a 3-front war...).

Over 75 lords are from the same kingdom (Khuzaits) and their hired mercenaries, and they are still sending the occasional 300-400 troop armies out to try to retake fiefs. These armies are all fresh recruits, mostly tier 2s and 3s, but they very much exist with some brand new never-before-seen lords plucked out of the before-unseen extended families, and probably could take a weak fief if I did not stop offensively sieging and go crush them immediately :???:. (Especially if the walls were smashed and they can still walk right into the fief! Sometimes it is wise to use siege towers instead :fruity:)
It's because they implemented these 'tools' (perks for better prisoner management), while also trying to prevent it breaking the precarious equilibrium. So that's why you get these random 16yr old nobles (with no skill) making those tiny 20-30 unit armies; because the previously 'assigned' AI in that clan is a prisoner. All to avoid that snowball effect that was easily the issue in early, early access. Have they fixed all the cross-dressing stuff yet too? How is that taking years to resolve?

Remnants of bandaid fixes over bandaid fixes over bandaid fixes over poor game design.

Back
Top Bottom