How Nords Should/Shouldn't be apart of bannerlord.

Users who are viewing this thread

We've known for some time that Sturgia will have a nord subfaction, and more recently we've seen a Scandinavian banner for Sturgia (and someone's said their architecture looks scandinavian.
Let's get the preface out of the way and I'll talk about what it should mean in game bellow, for those of that mind.
Now, I Love nords. There was something wonderful in warband about an all-nord infantry army and it's exquisitely simple effectiveness. But, ultimately, if you mix cultures like this, you're diluting the far-out, super interesting parts, making an overall weaker, more nuetral group (alternatively, you could deliver the super-specific-pulp parts of both cultures and lack the context to justify them)
*Woe to the guy who takes this seriously.
Jokes aside, while multiculturalism is perfectly functional, it tends to make the cultures within more neutral as they make compromises with eachother, and thus way less interesting. Just look at Sikhs who live in britain with their little ceremonial daggers rather than the swords they'd have at home, Italian American food, or the degenerate architecture of Australia  I don't think Taleworlds will put in all the (super interesting) sociology to simulate that, but we've essentially got the more-familiar culture for most (scandinavia) and the less familiar culture of most (Russia)  and while Taleworlds could go all-in on capturing interest in a fascinating untapped area (Did you see what the Witcher did for poland?) It seems they want to increase the influence of a culture that basically influenced everyone to the point where it might as well be a lesser, more recent rome. It sounds cool, but it's not going to blow minds.

Some people like familiar things, but it's no good if everything's samey.  And, from a minority point of view, If you were a slav, it'd suck if someone had to wash away what was supposed to be your culture "to make it more palatable". Granted; M&B basically skips a whole load of cultures that should be between what's presented, but that's to get the maximum diversity possible in a compact map,  and they didn't advertise one thing and gave another.

Now, scandinavia influenced a lot, given the propensity for boats and patches of land that wasn't scandinavia. It's true that they had influence in the baltics and rus, though from my reading it was far more practical  (war/law/style of governance)-related with little lasting cultural impact (art,clothes,architecture and language all remained firmly slav). 
In the meantime, Scandinavians also took britain, part of france, and this had far more of a cultural impact than it did in the east. English is basically Swedish but with different words, rather than the celtic it could've been. The normans, from a little bit of france, the main source for Vlandia, is basically Vikings+the French (regrettable language choice) 
So... there's a faction that could acomadate more than one viking subfaction and the scandinavian influence could be greater.

There's one last faction that could have a nord influence... Batania.
I'll admit my biases; The batanians should be utterly crushed, and their geography is weird considering their position, and there's that Balion place that sounds like it'd be more accommodating. But, "vikings" clashed with celts often enough that you might as well...
With all that knowledge out the way, let's talk about how the nords can be put into everything at the detriment of nothing.
Bannerlord has subfactions, and for some reason that escapes me I want to say that each group has six. 

Firstly
One subfaction of sturgia. Leave the rest alone. The Flag should be slav, the clothes should be slav, the people should be slav, the buildings should be slav, the  drinks should be slav. I'll award bonus points if one of the subfactions is baltic, one western slav (IE poland/bohemia) and there's a few travelers around, but I can understand the resources behind that.
Put Nord-ness into Vlandia. It makes way more sense. Perhaps more than one subfaction even, and nord influence can be a subtle addition to the people. Some troop-lines offer fantastic heavy infantry, others offer superior cavalry. More swiss/Italian subfactions would be nice too.
Batania. It can host a Nord subfaction. Now we've got maybe four whole subfactions of Nordland. Absolutely don't put any nord-ness into other factions, the surviving celtic nations were pretty good at keeping them out.

Secondly
Nordland mercenaries. Vikings were some of the most prominent mercenaries ever. I mean, they got that part of france by betraying their own and siding with france. Viking mercenaries served constantinople. Think of how crazy far that is (and also how the empire is those guys) So surely Nords4Hire has got to be a business found in every tavern of calradia.

Besides, I strongly believe that mercenaries need more love. You can't properly do one single group of no-culture mercenaries (...and no-culture women, villagers, looters and so on) and I think most players of the original game sacked mercenaries when they could get better, more cost efficient nationals anyway (the moral penalty negligible compared to the increased cost)
Finally
Bring back the sea raiders. The time period is more correct for bannerlord than it is for warband, and the skull drinking needs to be done in HD.
For mega points, have sea raiders come in seasons, sometimes as armies that can potentially conquer areas when they're weak, with Jarls that can supplant local lords.

At this point, you've got enough  nord subfactions that you could safely say you've got an entire nord faction's worth, and we can all comfortably play nord without them needing a full-unified faction (at least till they get one) and you don't need to water down the diversity of culture in bannerlord.

I don't see Zendar on map. Zendar is supposed to be surrounded by sea raiders.

No faction can be 100% nord. Sturgia will have a good cavalry (I guess their weak link will be archers), Battania can be nord but it lack boats. Vlandia? Maybe normans but not old fashioned vikings.
The Sturgia subfaction if based on naval warfare will have weak cavalry maybe.

The Rus employed both cavalry and archers, but the core of their forces in the early period was most likely formed infantry - also a Norse speciality.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/3065128041437312867
The blog doesn't exactly state Sturgia's playstyle, but they are based off the Rus so it is definitely implied. Also it seems Sturgia is acting as a fill in for the Nords.

SenorZorros said:
does sturgia have good cavalry? my perception was that they had strong infrantry.

We have no proof in fact. Someone speculated that they will have horse archers too.
Anyway the scheme is
Battania and Sturgia specialized infantry
Vlandia specialized heavy cavalry
Khuzait specialized horse archers
Others all arounded

They mentioned battanian longbow and sudden charges so I guess battanians will have fast but weak cavalry.
Battanians are more specialized in shock infantry while sturgia seems more focused on shields (that is strange since britons used huge shieldwalls), so I guess battanians will have less need of shield because superior archers

Yea this really annoyed me, if you want nords and fans want nords just add the nords. But don't water down slav culture and the whole Sturgia faction just to have nords in, when you could just put them in!

I know they're trying to make Sturgia a mixture of both, but they said its mainly based off Kievan Rus. So shouldn't the factions banner at least look slavic? In the banner blog they just  say "The Viking shield is perhaps one of the most iconic shields we can think of, so using that in the centre of the design was an idea we had right from the start (the sword just naturally fit in with that!). We combined this with a design taken from some Viking jewellery (a torc) which helped to bring the whole piece together."

So they add three nordic things into the slavic factions banner. Where the hell is the slavic influence?

Well there are three infantry class units that are light, heavy and shock. I guess many factions will have shock infantry. For example Empire has three standard infantries (light, legionaire and velites) plus subfaction infantry.

For mega points, have sea raiders come in seasons, sometimes as armies that can potentially conquer areas when they're weak, with Jarls that can supplant local lords.

This  mechanic goes against the game philosophy that Armagan dreamed of in Bannerlord. He wants to make an open reactive world where the player can be a part of the simulation.

There is a reason why they are making it so that lords have to recruit troops like the player instead of just taking the lazy route and nerfing their troops spawn rate.

You could follow those rules with sea raiders. Give them hidden stats and (usualy) hidden rulers from hidden nordland.
Or, they could follow the exact same number rules as every other bandit group but have off seasons where they move somewhere else.

B1G0T said:
Yea this really annoyed me, if you want nords and fans want nords just add the nords. But don't water down slav culture and the whole Sturgia faction just to have nords in, when you could just put them in!

I know they're trying to make Sturgia a mixture of both, but they said its mainly based off Kievan Rus. So shouldn't the factions banner at least look slavic? In the banner blog they just  say "The Viking shield is perhaps one of the most iconic shields we can think of, so using that in the centre of the design was an idea we had right from the start (the sword just naturally fit in with that!). We combined this with a design taken from some Viking jewellery (a torc) which helped to bring the whole piece together."

So they add three nordic things into the slavic factions banner. Where the hell is the slavic influence?

It doesn't fit lore wise and the developers are trying to maintain some semblance of continuity.

supersaiyan121 said:
B1G0T said:

It doesn't fit lore wise and the developers are trying to maintain some semblance of continuity.

Wtf doesn't fit the lore? A dilutated faction mixing two previous factions? Sturgia are supposed to be Vaegir ancestors. That is the semblance of continuity

B1G0T said:
supersaiyan121 said:
B1G0T said:

Wtf doesn't fit the lore? A dilutated faction mixing two previous factions? Sturgia are supposed to be Vaegir ancestors. That is the semblance of continuity

The Sturgians are acting as a stand-in for the Nords since the Nords wouldn't have established a kingdom at this point in Calradia's history.

supersaiyan121 said:
B1G0T said:
supersaiyan121 said:
B1G0T said:

The Sturgians are acting as a stand-in for the Nords since the Nords wouldn't have established a kingdom at this point in Calradia's history.

I know they havent officially landed and thats a shame for all the nord fan boys out there but why water down the vaegirs ancestors just to have a nord stand in? Surely that doesn't fit lore wise either right? Just disappointed the slav faction doesnt even have a slav banner at the very least. What will there troop tree look like? huscarls? Just disappointed man

Vaegir infantry was bad and often shieldless, Sturgia is too different to be ancestor......maybe the sons of the forest are vaegir

vota dc said:
Vaegir infantry was bad and often shieldless, Sturgia is too different to be ancestor......maybe the sons of the forest are vaegir

Sturgia takes the place of the Nords since they specialize in shock infantry and Battania specializes in archery and thus takes the place of the Vaegirs. Personally I believe that in the future Battania and Sturgia combine and eventually become the Veagirs.

Can be, but if you mix vikings and celtic you don't get slav.
Also Battanian are infantry based too, it is written in the devblog and the scary guy that cut in half two horses with a single strike was battanian shock infantry. The longbow is a plus. I guess their tactic are ambushes with longbow hidden in the woods and sudded charges of shock infantry and ligth cavalry.

Back
Top Bottom