How do you created detached water sources

Users who are viewing this thread

Water sources not using the SceneOptions water level, like the lake by Dunglanys, for instance, or most of the rivers on the main map

Water sources not using the SceneOptions water level, like the lake by Dunglanys, for instance, or most of the rivers on the main map
Raised lakes use water_planes. You can see examples in Modules/Sandbox/main_map. Any flat mesh can be turned into a water_plane. While lake ones are square, I believe I saw some sections of river in the resource browser for use in mission scenes.
Worldmap rivers are more complicated. They are created by an entity you can find in the main_map called river_script. This generates river meshes from the blue channel of a texture called worldmap_river_mask. That textures red and green channels are a river flowmap, which govern the direction created rivers flow in. Main_map also uses a river paint layer which paints a blue tint underneath these transparent river meshes. river_script only works with that texture named worldmap_river_mask, so changing it will put your rivers into Calradia as well as your own map, if you ever load Calradia back into the scene editor. River_script needs to be run with a z height of 0.1 so the meshes hover above underlying terrain. It calculates the z height of river meshes based on the average height of surrounding terrain and is thrown off by adjacent slopes/mountains. Once created rivers will need some terrain sculpting to get their visuals correct. Once I've finalised my worldmap terrain, I intend to redo my rivers one at a time (building up the same river mask) as they are tricky to marry with underlying terrain unless its fairly smooth.
When I get time, I'll knock up some basic world mapping documentation and explain my rudimentary method of creating compatible flow maps.

PS worldmap_river_mask must be inverted (south at the top) to work with river_script.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom