Horses: text vs modSYS

Users who are viewing this thread

mercury19

Sergeant at Arms
Greetings. I am mercury19. I am a full on newbie modder.

I've just started my first project, which I plan on releasing some day. I've managed to get the MS working, which I tested with a few basic changes and dunde's dynamic troop trees. As I went to start editing troops, I realized that there were not nearly enough horses. So I went and found wanderer949's Horse Mod's (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,100898.0.html) and proceede to attempt to install it. Upon reading the readme however, I found that it doesn't use the module system. This has me confounded to no end. I was under the impression that work in the MS erases work in the txt files, and besides I'd like to keep it all in one system. But I can't change the info to MS because I don't understand the .txt language, I'm guessing python.

So basically I would to know how to understand, at the very least, a horse entry for the .txt's, and possibly the other items as well. I searched the forums, both manually and with the search function, and I even tried to line up the two different kinds of entries with an existing horse. But I still don't understand.

Thanks for the help, M19

Sumpter horse in module system:
Code:
 ["sumpter_horse","Sumpter Horse", [("sumpter_horse",0)], itp_merchandise|itp_type_horse, 0, 134,abundance(90)|hit_points(100)|body_armor(14)|difficulty(1)|horse_speed(37)|horse_maneuver(39)|horse_charge(9)|horse_scale(100),imodbits_horse_basic],

Copy that to a new line, change the stats, name, mesh, and module system identifier, and you're good to go. :smile:

wandere's horses are resources with recommended values for copy-pasting into the text files - you can define them however you want in the module system as per the above post, and I'm sure there's more than 1 open-source mods that already use them so you can use the module_items entry for those horses.

To clear up some misconceptions: the text files are compiled in a manner the game engine can read, written through the usage of python, parsed from the lists that comprise the Module System. While the text files are not human-readable, tools exist from applying the list of flags and such to modify those entries in a more friendly UI. These changes, however, usually do not propagate back into the module system, from which another set of text files can be generated. No knowledge of python is required whatsoever unless you want to make tweaks to the way those text files are written. There have already been existing tweaks of that sort to improve the performance of the module systems and such.

@Somebody OK, I think I get it. So most OSP items will be just the models and/or the meshes, maybe with a suggestion in either MS or .txt python. What about OSP codes and kits and the like? If the actual code is given out, is it usual in MS?

@DarkRobin Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I never though of it that way...

EDIT: One more question: What is the module.ini? Is there a MS equivalent, or is it .txt specific?

OSP Code is always given in the format the module system expects. You'll also see some kits using modmerger, which uses python to insert the code at certain points. It is next to impossible to write "code" using just the text as any references to game objects requires the use of offsets, which are calculated at compile point and differs from mod to mod, making portability impossible.

As a configuration file, module.ini defines a number of parameters for the module for the engine to interpret in plaintext. It could be generated by the module system, however I have yet to see anybody do so.

Back
Top Bottom