SP - UI Hiring Mercenaries doesn't show cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Blood Gryphon

Grandmaster Knight
When you talk to a mercenary the dialog says the following but doesn't actually show you a price. It would be nice to know the rate they go for.

PdBg2.jpg

Not that it matters much as they can just leave your faction after a day lol, but that's an issue for someone else to deal with.

No plans atm. If you have specific suggestions feel free to share em.
First idea that comes to mind.

I imagine in the Kingdom management menu there being an additional tab for Mercenaries similar to the current “Clans” tab. It could list the mercenaries and provides their clan information like strength, parties, and if they are currently fighting for anyone. Also give us a button to hire them and fire them and show us what their cost would be. Just copy the clan tab and switch the support button and propose button to a hire and fire button.
dG3T6.jpg

The big issue with this is that it could let the player hire every single mercenary easily, so there needs to be some kind of limitation (which currently exists by forcing the player to recruit in person).

Maybe mercenary prices could increase drastically after a certain amount of mercenaries? (Excuse being they realize you are desperate for help and take advantage of it)

Maybe only mercenaries who are not hired by anyone show up as available? If you want to steal mercenaries from another kingdom then you’d have to do it in person? But then that should be a rule for the AI as well.

I’d like to invite others to provide their opinions/ideas @Apocal @Spinozart1 and anyone else

I imagine in the Kingdom management menu there being an additional tab for Mercenaries similar to the current “Clans” tab. It could list the mercenaries and provides their clan information like strength, parties, and if they are currently fighting for anyone. Also give us a button to hire them and fire them and show us what their cost would be. Just copy the clan tab and switch the support button and propose button to a hire and fire button.
dG3T6.jpg

The big issue with this is that it could let the player hire every single mercenary easily, so there needs to be some kind of limitation (which currently exists by forcing the player to recruit in person).
There is actually a hard limit on mercs for the player kingdom, three total. Other factions can get up to four though. I'm not sure how it works when a player is a vassal but that's not a concern here.
Cm2ca55.png
Obviously, hijaking the Clan interface and both Hire and Dismiss don't need to (and shouldn't) be active at the same time. Maybe it could be its own tab but if new UI elements like that are undesirable then placing it under Diplomacy or Armies works too. Anything that works really.

There is actually a hard limit on mercs for the player kingdom, three total. Other factions can get up to four though.
oh really? Well that solves that! Kinda says something that I’ve never run into that limit
I'm not sure how it works when a player is a vassal but that's not a concern here.
Yeah this should only be available once you are ruler.
Cm2ca55.png
Obviously, hijaking the Clan interface and both Hire and Dismiss don't need to (and shouldn't) be active at the same time. Maybe it could be its own tab but if new UI elements like that are undesirable then placing it under Diplomacy or Armies works too. Anything that works really.
Thanks for the mock-up, it’s exactly what I was thinking. Great point on alternative options for placement

dG3T6.jpg

Maybe mercenary prices could increase drastically after a certain amount of mercenaries? (Excuse being they realize you are desperate for help and take advantage of it)

Maybe only mercenaries who are not hired by anyone show up as available? If you want to steal mercenaries from another kingdom then you’d have to do it in person? But then that should be a rule for the AI as well.

I’d like to invite others to provide their opinions/ideas @Apocal @Spinozart1 and anyone else

Allowing the recruitment from the Kingdom tab seems the most convenient way.
The encyclopedia allows us to list all the existing mercenaries so why not summarize everything in a nice tab :xf-wink:
I agree with your ideas and if more restrictions are needed:

• List only unhired mercenaries.
  • Limited to one recruitment a day (only through the tab, time restriction will not apply to face 2 face recruitment)
  • Not a direct recruitment, more like a messenger to invite the clan to meet you. Allows only one invitation at the same time (to avoid spamming).

If really the idea of a specific tab is not acceptable, then we could simply have an option in town to send an invitation.
And we need to stay in town until one of the clan member enter the town (or if under siege, arrive nearby).
The best is that the recruitment could be done in the tavern as well, for more imerssion!

Y2mZn.jpg

Last edited:
Allowing the recruitment from the Kingdom tab seems the most convenient way.
The encyclopedia allows us to list all the existing mercenaries so why not summarize everything in a nice tab :xf-wink:
I agree with your ideas and if more restrictions are needed:

• List only unhired mercenaries.
  • Limited to one recruitment a day (only through the tab, time restriction will not apply to face 2 face recruitment)
  • Not a direct recruitment, more like a messenger to invite the clan to meet you. Allows only one invitation at the same time (to avoid spamming).

If really the idea of a specific tab is not acceptable, then we could simply have an option in town to send an invitation.
And we need to stay in town until one of the clan member enter the town (or if under siege, arrive nearby).
The best is that the recruitment could be done in the tavern as well, for more imerssion!

Y2mZn.jpg
Great suggestions! That would also definitely be a good way to solve this issue.

The button "send invitation" could be added on the "Kingdom" tab as well.

eFhQ_.jpg

Then the mercenary would come to us, just like when we are calling parties to our army.
The button would grey out after sending the invitation, until we finally speak with the mercenary member, or after X in-game hours.

The button "send invitation" could be added on the "Kingdom" tab as well.

eFhQ_.jpg

Then the mercenary would come to us, just like when we are calling parties to our army.
The button would grey out after sending the invitation, until we finally speak with the mercenary member, or after X in-game hours.
I like this as well.

I'll bring these suggestion up internally.
Much appreciated! (y)

Back
Top Bottom