Help with tweaking the character creation menu in the brytenwalda

Users who are viewing this thread

stefanougo06

Recruit
I'm just starting to learn how to mod, I've also just started learning how to program (mostly in c, will learn python in the future). so excuse me if i sound stupid.

I love blood and steel mod for warband mostly for its class system, i wanted to tweak my brytenwalda mod for something similar, but i just wanna tweak the current creation menu so where the part where it says "vocation" acts  instead as "class" and i can edit the vocations to give the stats and equipment that i want.

In the module_game_menu i don't know where to change this, plus, i can't even find the names of the actual vocations, i tried to look for the retainer vocation and i can't find it anywhere!

basically i just wanna change the starting class items and stats and maybe change their names unless its too much trouble.

you're on the right track.
What is your text editor?
I know very little about character editing and wouldn't mind including some changes.
In particular, I tried to remove the agility stats as it's kind of useless in this mod unless you like to play with all four stats.

Here's how I do it:
Find a key word from a screen. This word will almost always be in game_menus or presentations. Sometimes it will be in scripts.
If it's part of a dialog between characters, it's in Dialogs.
It really doesn't matter too much if you use Sublime though.

Open up a Sublime 3 folder and do a search on the entire set of "module" files for "Retainer."
My results show it is being used in Scripts, dialogs, menus and strings.
The menus option is obviously not about the set up menu.
Strings is a problem because it means that the word you are seeing is showing up as a String.
You need to find "Retainer" in strings and then seach on its internal variable name.
("parent_noble","Lesser Noble"),
7692    ("parent_merchant","Merchant"),
7693:  ("parent_guard","Lesser Lord's Retainer"),

This is kind of a dead end for this example.
Look at Scripts from the result of your search for "retainer."
Someone has nicely commented Brytenwalda to make your search much easier.
It's obvious that the work has been pulled into Scripts in script_init_character_stats.
This is a rather odd setup that includes Presentation and data elements.
It could have easily been done in a crossover between Gamemenus and Scripts.

Tweak away.
If you want me to look at it to include, document your work with a few reasonings.

Back
Top Bottom