Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Users who are viewing this thread

Some streamers have put up timelapse videos of the AI doing its thing. Based on them, were back to original HoI3 launch of wacky world politics where everything is possible and nothing makes sense.

Jhessail said:
Some streamers have put up timelapse videos of the AI doing its thing. Based on them, were back to original HoI3 launch of wacky world politics where everything is possible and nothing makes sense.

I saw them too.

All of them involved rampant border gore and horrible balancing. Japan outright losing vs china, germany not being able to start operation barbarossa due to the allies instantly invading Europe in like 1940 (the AI still somehow ends up in a war vs the soviet union regardless and just gets rammed.)

It looks like a classic paradox game. I'll wait a couple of years I guess.

Can you link them? Only found two and both of them looked decent enough for my taste, in a "what if" kind of way.

One where Germany immediately went to war with the Soviets after taking Poland and still defeating Western Europe. Bit back and forth and then they broke through the Soviet defences and beat them proper. The US D-Day in Crimea was amusing enough. Sweden attacking in the North disgusting.

And one where there was no war war with the Soviets at all and and there just a bunch of back and forth with isolated invasions every now and then.

Doh. I only ever searched for "HoI IV", it never bloody occurred to me to use the full name...  :lol: :facepalm:
Cheers.

/edit
I still don't really see the problem.
An Allied invasion while they were starting the attack on the Soviet Union or a pre-emptive attack by the SU. **** luck for the Germans/great timing for the Allies.

Honestly France should not keep Africa like they currently do. It makes it far too easy for them to execute a dday without the Americans as seen there and it also historically makes 0 sense considering Operation Torch and all that.

That's not necessarily a French invasion. If France is a member of the Allies and then for example the Brits start their own DDay for some reason, all territory they take in France would be French right away.
Especially since they capitulated in that vid, which means all their troops were disbanded.

The same happens with the Netherlands and Belgium.

Having each colony randomly decide whether they go to Vichy or Free French is not a bad idea. But game balance is shot to all hell if Free French troops can launch an invasion of Algeria in 1940. Similarly, the AI is just as brain dead as in HoI3, launching small invasions that are doomed to fail and end up eating their manpower - that's what happens to UK in that video. Then USA gets into the war bit too early when they invade Spain and end up releasing their holdings for the Free French, mixing things up even further. I'm also afraid that the SU attack is hard coded, like it was in HoI3 where SU would always attack once Germany captured London, regardless of what the situation otherwise was, but that's impossible to say for sure based on these videos.

Finally, the combat AI still seems to do those insane deep strikes with a single cavalry/motorized division - you can see two of them happening in one of the videos. They were almost pointless in HoI3 but could wreck havoc in the supply system. In HoI4, where supply system is allegedly different, they are probably completely pointless. The purpose of a breakthrough should be to envelope and encircle the enemy, not to make a rapier-like piercing through the front.

So yes, it would certainly seem that the AI is not any better than in HoI3 and the battle plan system is a "clever" way of hiding it, by forcing players to use AI as well, just like has been predicted.

Agreed to the "deepstrikes". That's been part of each of the time lapses I saw and it not only looks retarded it also makes zero sense and shows a big flaw in the AI.

As for the size of each invasion, we have no way to know though. Given that there are other left-overs from HoI 3 is a good assumption but little more than that.
Similar to, again, we can't know if there were ANY French troops taking part in the landing in the vid Colonic linked. Logically there shouldn't have been as a capitulation disbands remaining troops.

That's a player that started the save in 1936...
You could just as well link the stream where they played as Hungary or how they held out till new year of 1940 as Poland in a autumn of 1939 start and claim those as some sort of horrible game imbalance.

Border gore does look horrible though. One would expect them to divide the spoils by region. :???:
But then "one would expect" isn't Paradox's strongest point, see the UI in Stellaris.

But the AI seemed sensible enough at least for that one.

ColonicAcid said:
For the border gore I present:

EDIT: Oh yeah there's also this gem as well.

Yep that's Poland steamrolling Germany in 1939.

I think I know what the problem is. First terrain doesn't give enough bonuses, so attacking equal or weaker forces is far too easy, even into mountains. Second the AI is far to eager to sacrifice it's troops. Germany will gladly kill 500 000 troops at the Maginot line for no progress. I think both of these will be easy to mod once the game is out.

Unless they really have changed their way, combat AI is hardcoded and impossible to mod. Terrain modifiers can be modded but it doesn't ****ing help if the combat AI is still retarded. AI GER should NEVER EVER go head-to-head with Maginot Line because it will bleed German MP dry before Barbarossa and you end up with a game where the Soviet juggernaut steamrolls from Polish border to Berlin in two weeks. Same kind of idiocy as in HoI3 where the AI was unable to calculate supply chokepoints for itself, leading into invasions where the AI kept feeding divisions into, despite the existing divisions already being out of supply - the AI just saw that it needed more forces because the combat ratios were against it. I've seen GER AI pour 90% of its divisions into Norway, trying to capture Trondheim and USA AI getting stuck on some stupid island on the Pacific. And that does not seem to have been fixed.

ColonicAcid said:
For the border gore I present:
Oh sweet mother of god, by the virgin Mary, by the glory of Farage what the **** happened there?

HOI3 is still sufficiently fresh for me that I can happily wait a year or two for it go get fixed :lol:

Back
Top Bottom