Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Users who are viewing this thread

Terrible picture posted on PD forums a while back but it'll do.

index.php

Left hand picture is the default sprites, upper right hand side is the NATO icons with sprites disabled, and lower right is counters. See what I mean? Its very much a personal preference thing, but I would have liked the option.

Beny said:
Terrible picture posted on PD forums a while back but it'll do.

index.php

Left hand picture is the default sprites, upper right hand side is the NATO icons with sprites disabled, and lower right is counters. See what I mean? Its very much a personal preference thing, but I would have liked the option.
Ah thanks, yes, that makes the difference. Originally their "map icons" just had a picture of a helmet for infantry, a picture of a tank for armoured, and so on. Johan justified this by saying they are much prettier and offer more information than using NATO symbols on counters. Finally they went back and made it possible to use NATO symbols on the "map icons" but you still have to use Pdox version, not proper counters like every wargame ever has used, including previous three iterations of Hearts of Iron. The bottom-right picture is from HoI3.

One might argue that it's a pointless minor detail but I see it as one more step on the path of turning HoI into a RTS instead of a proper operational-strategic level wargame, just like animated 3D models, day-night cycle where the cities light up (in WW2!) and removal of Order of Battle and Chain of Command. All to make the game more appealing in screenshots, videos and streaming.

Jhessail said:
One might argue that it's a pointless minor detail but I see it as one more step on the path of turning HoI into a RTS instead of a proper operational-strategic level wargame, just like animated 3D models, day-night cycle where the cities light up (in WW2!) and removal of Order of Battle and Chain of Command. All to make the game more appealing in screenshots, videos and streaming.
This exactly. In EU/CK/Vicky the 3D nice looking map is great. But In HOI I actually want to feel like I'm sat in a cigar smoke filled room with all my generals pushing around pieces and swearing at junior officers. The emphasis on graphics over readability and art over irl photos is making me reconsider whether I'll buy the game at all, at least not until a few expansions have fixed the inevitable lack of depth.

They have said that HoI4 will be their most moddable game ever and hardly anything is supposedly hard-coded into the .exe file, so that gives me hope that in few years, after modders have learned all the tricks, we will have mods that replicate all the good stuff of HoI3.

What i really want is the province size of HOI 3. Hopefully a mod will come and do that. And of course the OOB, division-corps-army-armygroup-theatre.... Now its basically like division->your general isnt it?

You have generals and field marshals. They have different traits. Generals have a command limit, field marshals do not. If I have understood things correctly, a division cannot belong to more than 1 group. So you can have small elite "corps" led by generals that handle the heavy lifting while the rest of your army is led by a field marshal or two being on the defensive or just supporting the main thrust. That's the idea, I guess.

Wulfburk said:
What i really want is the province size of HOI 3. Hopefully a mod will come and do that. And of course the OOB, division-corps-army-armygroup-theatre.... Now its basically like division->your general isnt it?
Play HOI3? :razz:

I do agree though, but the loss of the OOB is a must if they want to appeal to a broader player base. Which they do.

After watching some non-paradox videos, don't think I'll be buying this straight away. Feels too arcadey and the historical mode has some pretty absurd occurances (Japan in Finland, D-Day in Crimea). Hopefully it'll get better with age and mods and then I'll consider.

Yeah, they made a tutorial video to show how the updated battle plan system works but for some reason, they had decided to turn AI off for the video. At least I hope that is what they did, because the AI did absolutely ****ing nothing.

Beny said:
the historical mode has some pretty absurd occurances (Japan in Finland, D-Day in Crimea).
Yeah, I saw someone airdropping ****loads of troops on Crete as Germany, and this other time, somehow Japan managed to wreck an American fleet with nothing but airplanes while the fleet was in port.

Back
Top Bottom