Hardest mod ever?

Users who are viewing this thread

I confess that with a battle limit set at 1.000 (my computer is a two year old high end gaming computer, so if you haven't tested 1k battle limit on your less than two year old toy, do so) the game can be...challenging at times. Sieges especially.

That said, once you've gone one thousand you ain't ever going one hundred again for anything.

I beat around half of BG2 before I started playing Dragon Age: Origins. I never could get into Icewind Dale so, meh. Dwarf Fortress is only as hard as you make it. You could easily embark on easy locations and do really good. Its you that has to decide to embark on a glacier or in a desert, not the computer, and even then stuff can still be a little monotonous unless you take risks.

If you want to see what DF is about read this LP.

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

Hmm, I always played solo characters for Icewind Dales, after the first hour it's easier than full group since you get mad xp. Though naturally you'll want to play a class that scales good with levels like...arcane casters >_>. To be totally fair though, it was far better playing a tri-class solo character in IWD1 than a pure wizard. And playing a gnome was a huge boost as you could buy your end game helmet from Kuldahar at the start, which eliminated the penalties for using Haste (you actually got fatigued after Haste ends in IWD1).
in IWD2 pure solo sorc all the way, the firepower was insane and lategame popping Mordenkainen's Sword and Tenser's Transformation you'd become a warrior with a ranged sword with roughly the same atk bonus + all the buffs cast before that like mirror image, blur and haste. Insanity ^_^

I might have to try that 1k battlelimit, although I'm sure I'd need to lower my settings for that not to lag. Bought my current rig this spring and it's decently powerful. Might have to change my regular battle tactics when facing unique armies, facing 600 jatu charging at the same time could be..challenging.

Naw find a hill and bring as many noldor or ravern rangers and barclay sappers as you can get your hands on.

If uve ever fought armies with large numbers of these units then you know whats gonna happen to a melee heavy cavalry force trying to charge them up hill :smile:.

All u need is 20-30 infantry in a loose line half way down the hill and you can pretty much shred them with arrows.

My only problem with PoP is the dmg done by the AI vs the strongest armor. I feel like paper in a full plate armor.

I'm wearing a Forlon Hope full plate ( 62 - 22 ). Look at the dmg I received. Was that a cannonball or something ?
mb2-1.jpg

Well that doesn't seem any different to what I do to enemy heavy armored troops in a headshot with my bow, so a shadowlegionnaire with 500 in throwing should be able to do similar damage. Or a noldor archer with 500+ archery, noldor bow and +8 noldor arrows.

The stats on the best troops are in the level of what your character at levels 35-50(guestimate, depending on qualis gem amount) is gonna have. For example, shadow legion centurion has 9 power throw and 500 proficiency in throwing and broadhead throwing spears. That's gonna ******** hurt. And they have the accuracy to headshot you easily. Oh yea, they got horse archery 9 as well, so they are gonna do that from full gallop as well.

Noldor twilight knight has weapon profs at 600 with 9 in each power X. That's nearly pinpoint accuracy with noldor bow that has 95 accuracy itself.

Elite troops are just as elite or more as you are. You gotta be very high end character to eclipse their stats and they use similar kind of weapons and armor as you.

That said, I do play with half damage to myself, normal damage to troops and good AI. Just because throwing spears.

first of all get more head armor, its even more important than body armor when battling high level troops, have you seen bodies after fight with noldors? they shoot your head only or miss, same with throwing stuff-low levels wont ko you with just one javelin but higher will because they aim at your head, so take something like ebony platemail or noldor stuff, new full plate armor with insanely good head armor is really helpful

Shire said:
That said, I do play with half damage to myself, normal damage to troops and good AI. Just because throwing spears.

yeah trust me,it takes a while to get used to max difficulty. im 98% but thats only because my computer cant handle high battles (125 on the field max). it gets scary fighting the noldor when you take normal damage. knowing if you screw up even just a little bit you are KO'd. and crossbows become a bigger hell then before...even singilian horsemen if they get a lucky shot off on you can do around 20 dmg.

What's the general consensus on shadow legion units anyway - I feel like they're overpowered but at the same time I really like the challenge. I think maybe the player shouldn't be allowed to have them and just Kyros.

wookdaddy said:
What's the general consensus on shadow legion units anyway - I feel like they're overpowered but at the same time I really like the challenge. I think maybe the player shouldn't be allowed to have them and just Kyros.

i dont like them anyway,the only reason they are OP is because they are so cheap to maintain and so easy to get. hero adventurers are just as if not more powerful yet not as OP because they take alot of time to train up and they cost a fortune to maintain. i would say it balance it would be it increase how much they cost a week.

This mod is not too hard.  Version 3.51 made it harder, but difficulty can still be upped especially for the end-game when the player has special noble troops.  In my games, I've restricted myself to never recruiting any nobles, so the only special troops I can get are from the normal buildup from garrisons in towns that have Orders and from capturing nobles in battle.  It is too easy when the player has 100+ Griffon/Dawn Knights pumped up 4 times. 

With PoP, you have to respect certain enemies and not just charge in blindly swinging away.  That makes battles interesting.  You must anticipate and respect any enemy that can throw stuff.  You want to know what the secret is?  Get on their right side when chasing so that they can't throw.  There's a large blind spot for throwing/bows and you should take maximum advantage of that.  Before you hit that safe area, keep your shield UP! 

I don't think Shadow Legion are overpowered.  They can only be created from Empire Knights, so if a player is going for the culture of the Empire, then all other Pendor Knights are off-limits.  No Silvermists, no KotEG, no Dawn Knights or Griffon Knights.  That's because pendor nobles are very hard to capture, almost no AI lords get them in their regular army.  So you can only get a bunch of Shadow Legion Knights if you sacrifice other paths which seems fair.  By the way, I'm glad that the Empire Immortals have been given more of a chance to have shields.  They were good before, but too vulnerable to missile fire.  Now they are a nightmare to face. 

Hmm Shadow Legion Knights arent bad, but the Immortals are something to be afraid of, especialy in sieges, they swing with those 2 handers like its made of wood! But still dont underestimate the Shadow Legion, more so if the enemy u are facing has 200 of them! And it seems that im not the only one that had problems with Kyros Dux, in one of my earlier saves where i founded my Kingdom i was moving to take Ethos from the Empire, then all of a sudden Kyros Dux appears with over 4500+ troops(alone) and starts chasing me!

PoP is hard on easy settings, but still with good gear, solid troops and sense for tactics wins the day

Well ive never seen the game that is hard once you understand all the rules and exploit for all your worth. And mount and blade is kinda easy in that you cant die for good, you just get captured and whipped around for a bit. Also the AI is kinda retarded atleast in open field you can charge em alone and get em to chase you while your archers shoot em in the back. Or find a spot with a river and a steep hill and just park your infantry there wiping out hordes of enemies. Pop has done a great job in making the game difficult and for people that dont exploit game mechanics i think it will always be fairly hard, no matter how experienced you are. However choose to play cheap and take the easy path and it will be a smooth ride. There is nothing the pop team can do abouth that, unless they were to spead up every enemy army twicefold and double all their hp/dps :razz: I love pop and i feel the difficulty is just perfect.

Actually when i think abouth it, the map speed of enemies are one of the major reasons the game is not so hard it could be as you can choose and pick what battle to fight (its not like taht in the real world)if you got caught up to every now and then and had all your troops wiped out it would be more painfull. :grin: Pathfinding just nerfs every chanse of that happening. offcource you could always never take pathfinding and run with infantry alone, heh. But why not just... make a few select troops slightly faster, actyally giving them the chanse of catching the player hehe.

The thing is that the human will ALWAYS be able to find some exploit.  The human brain is just so superior to any game AI that's ever been made that it's impossible for a programmer to make an AI that can adapt and keep up with the human.  Take Total War:ShogunII which is considered to have the best battlefield AI of any Total War game yet.  The player can still easily beat the AI and should never lose in an equal battle.  The human is just too creative and flexible.

I don't know if PoP uses it's own tactical AI or it is native, but it pretty good and superior to any other mods that I've played.  Sure the AI cavalry could be better used, but generally the cavalry attacks and causes chaos while their infantry moves up in a single mass while archers shoot from behind.  Those archers can be devastating to your own infantry as they deal with the cavalry behind the lines and enemy infantry.  That's why you need your own cavalry, to be able to get to those archers and disrupt their fire.  It's also why you need to deal with their cavalry as fast as possible or else they'll wreck havok behind your front lines.  Other mods make the mistake of trying to keep complex formations and other crap, but that just means people are moving around letting your own archers and cavalry pick them apart while they're not even engaged in battle.  The mistake is to think that the human won't be able to deal with the formations, but the human can exploit anything.  I believe the best tactic is for the AI to engage and fight as soon as possible, ie. a charge, and try for a battle of attrition.  That's the best chance for the AI, the AI has no chance in a battle of tactical strategy and maneuver.

As for Immortals, I've always tried to target them with my bow and kill as many as possible before they hit my troops.  Now that a good portion of them have shields, that's a lot harder to do and that makes them much much tougher and more fearsome in battle. 

Yeah i agree with the AI assesment. A rapidly attacking ai is often the best. The AI often has an advantage in a war of atrittion so play to that strength and not fanzy mooves and strategies.

If you play on the highest difficulty settings for a mod you've never played before, you don't really have a right to say it's too hard. Lower the difficulty or take your beatings and learn from them.

I don't think it's too hard....I will say that I was sad when I stabbed the winged demon with my couched lance and it didn't die. But HEY!! IT'S A GAWDAMN DEMON RIDING A DEMONHORSE!!! IT SHOULD BE TOUGH!!

The part I love most about the game play is the soldier levels. Native get's easy at about level 30 because the best troops out there are level 27 Swadian Knights. The devs didn't simply cheat the units tougher (at least most of them....I'm lookin at YOU demonic magnus). They made them higher level and gave them skills and stats and equipment that accentuated the badassery.

And who the hell only dials up their honor units 4 times?!? I dial up my griffon knights 8 times and everyone else get's 5. I like to revive all the knighthood orders but eventide (they really REALLY hate me). I have this vision of uniting Pendor using all of the knightly orders. I would dial up the griffon knights more but that 8th wack is a smooth 1.25mil. I didn't even look at the cost of the 9th.

Lol Fulkram I hesitate to ask how you could possibly acquire that much $ without cheating, although it can potentially be done.

I agree with you though, one of my favorite aspects to PoP is it's longevity, and replay value. No two games will ever be the same, and the game continues to challenge you even when you're level 50+.

It can be done, it just takes a long while I'm guessing.  I can get 100K from attacking spawns with just me and my 11 companions.  All have blunt weapons, that's the key, and the small party size means better loot.  100K in just a few game days.

I don't think it's too hard....I will say that I was sad when I stabbed the winged demon with my couched lance and it didn't die. But HEY!! IT'S A GAWDAMN DEMON RIDING A DEMONHORSE!!! IT SHOULD BE TOUGH!!

That has to be one of the epic experiences PoP players have in common.  I had pretty much the same thing happen to me.  I couch lanced a Fallen Revenant from the side and was turning away when I noticed that he wasn't dead!  I was so surprised that I didn't block his swing from his 2-H Sword or Axe and I was knocked out.  I then watched the battle as Fallen Revenants destroyed my army.  For those who say that this is too hard, I won the overall battle, but it's the only time where I've lost the first two rounds and then was able to win the rest and the battle overall.  I was about to give up and reload after the 2nd loss, but I remembered that with PoP, if you can destroy the top tier enemies, the rest are much weaker and no match for my knights and other level 40 troops.  All the Revenants were pretty much knocked out after 2 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom