Hacking in Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Gotha said:
btw. I wrote a radar... just some minutes...

http://wotr-kreuzritter.de/mb1.jpg

The green point is the player.
The blue points are teammates.
The red points are enemys.
The pink points are flag spawn points.
The black points are the spawn points of the teams.

And the text on the left of the radar is a counter counting the amount of troop classes per team.

It is working on all warband servers...  :???:

Nope. I will not use or share it!  :neutral:
You think you could make something to  counter abuse and hacks in warband?

Le Roux said:
Gotha said:
btw. I wrote a radar... just some minutes...

http://wotr-kreuzritter.de/mb1.jpg

The green point is the player.
The blue points are teammates.
The red points are enemys.
The pink points are flag spawn points.
The black points are the spawn points of the teams.

And the text on the left of the radar is a counter counting the amount of troop classes per team.

It is working on all warband servers...  :???:

Nope. I will not use or share it!  :neutral:
You think you could make something to  counter abuse and hacks in warband?

I don't think so. :/

I don't know if this would work, but maybe there could be an extra folder, lets say Mods with Native files, where you can put in your mods by replacing the default native files. In Options you could choose to use the default files or your own. There should also be a possibility for server owners to choose, whether to force or not force the player to use default files. If a server owner decides to force it, the player could only enter the server with default files, the game should check if the files in the default pack aren't changed and if they are indeed changed, it wouldn't allow him to join the server, if the mod pack is changed, it would automatically change it to default and connect the player.

I doubt the developers will do much about it for Warband, but they should really look into this hacking business while making Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

Illusive Man said:
I don't know if this would work, but maybe there could be an extra folder, lets say Mods with Native files, where you can put in your mods by replacing the default native files. In Options you could choose to use the default files or your own. There should also be a possibility for server owners to choose, whether to force or not force the player to use default files. If a server owner decides to force it, the player could only enter the server with default files, the game should check if the files in the default pack aren't changed and if they are indeed changed, it wouldn't allow him to join the server, if the mod pack is changed, it would automatically change it to default and connect the player.

I doubt the developers will do much about it for Warband, but they should really look into this hacking business while making Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

Not that bad idea I think. Of course admins should be able to enter the server with their admin mod. And maybe if the server used some extension (like different set of buyable items), players should be able to enter with that mod too. And maybe with previous versions of that mod too. Maybe it could be done, but would require lots of work to make it good enough solution.

I agree that hacking should be made as hard as possible, while keeping the game as moddable as possible.

Sometimes you have to be careful I think.. Often there are patents on systems against hacking or security features...

The player should download files from the server... would be the best way..

Illusive Man said:

You're idea fails on this part: " the game should check if the files in the default pack aren't changed"
What if the hacker simply removes this check, or alters it to always return true? :wink:
Or changes the network layer to send that "unchanged" message to the server.

Gotha said:
Sometimes you have to be careful I think.. Often there are patents on systems against hacking or security features...

The player should download files from the server... would be the best way..
Download 2+ gigs from the server every time he joins? haha.
besides hacker could simply write a system to overwrite files back again.

Sure you can't.

There are also other ways.. It wouldn't be the first game where you download some mb at joining a server...

You can't make a game without hacks... There are every time ways to abuse the system..

On the TMW Server I was accused of auto blocking.  :lol: Not very clever.

But on some server, a guy may have been using auto blocking, whenever I swung he blocked, but whenever I feinted he blocked to the first direction.

DoctorPainkiller said:
On the TMW Server I was accused of auto blocking.  :lol: Not very clever.

But on some server, a guy may have been using auto blocking, whenever I swung he blocked, but whenever I feinted he blocked to the first direction.
sounds like a not so good auto blocking hack  :roll:

Hmm, make the Warband log every block and attack, how much time has passed since start of the attack, and appearance of the block on nearest enemy player and stuff like that on some server for a week. Then write a program which will use that data for database of neural network, then repeat the process just logging the data which autoblocks produce, then teach the neural network to see the difference between between normal blocking and autoblock cheats.
It could possibly pick out players using cheats, although as all neural networks it will be impossible for it to be right 100% of the time, it wouldn't be real time protection against hackers and would probably it would take a lot of work to realize it.

Now onto the real topic, I really haven't noticed anything indicating hacking in NA, except for the occasional autoblocker. But I definitely don't doubt you guys.

I have seen 2 hackers recently, just yesterday in fact on a duel server

They were quite bad, but it was entirely obvious they were bypassing and using the autoblock function that is inside of warband

I also asked the opinions of other highly skilled duelists and they agreed

Autoblock function should have never even existed. It´s unreallistic, it doesn´t teach sheet about basic blocking to SP players so when they come in MP they have to learn again from zero, if they don´t come back to the easy SP before, of course; and causes some hacks. As if it wasn´t enough with the bots having no brain. The devs gotta stop babysitting new players like that.

Back
Top Bottom