Is it viable to use sledgehammers from horseback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it viable in single-player to use sledgehammer type weapons like the Maul, Sledgehammer and Great Hammer from horseback?
I read a lot of mixed things about two-handed weapons from horseback, from people saying that they just aren't practical, to people stating that they are enjoyable to use.
I also think that the slaver troop tree uses sledgehammers from Horseback, but then again, they aren't exactly the strongest units in the game.

I know that everything is viable in single-player is you are a master of the game, but I am not a master of the game.

I would pour points into two handed and riding. That way you have a better chance at actually swinging and damaging. Also, I would recommend that you avoid modifiers such "heavy" that would affect damage output ratio to speed rating ratio. The riding part is to get faster unarmored horses like the spirited courser, that way you have the speed rating modifier for damage output even if you had a bad swing. Keep in mind that cavalry speed is dependent on riding skill and swing effectiveness is dependent on skill in desired weapon field. Also as a side-note, cavalry units and horses in general on highland areas can be sluggish and messy, I recommend adding some skills in tactics to avoid bad spawns. Good luck and hope all of this helped! Also I should probably mention that the heavier your armor is, the more "bogged down" you may be. I have found that light-medium armors are best for heavy weapon use. Just be mindful of avoiding direct hits from bolt fire and lances.

I would pour points into two handed and riding. That way you have a better chance at actually swinging and damaging. Also, I would recommend that you avoid modifiers such "heavy" that would affect damage output ratio to speed rating ratio. The riding part is to get faster unarmored horses like the spirited courser, that way you have the speed rating modifier for damage output even if you had a bad swing. Keep in mind that cavalry speed is dependent on riding skill and swing effectiveness is dependent on skill in desired weapon field. Also as a side-note, cavalry units and horses in general on highland areas can be sluggish and messy, I recommend adding some skills in tactics to avoid bad spawns. Good luck and hope all of this helped! Also I should probably mention that the heavier your armor is, the more "bogged down" you may be. I have found that light-medium armors are best for heavy weapon use. Just be mindful of avoiding direct hits from bolt fire and lances.
Interesting.
I actually think that the courser is way more fun in custom battle mode than the Warhorse, but I thought that the warhorse is the objectively better choice for melee unit, while the courser is meant for archers and too fragile for melee.
But if the Courser is viable for melee builds, I would definitively prefere it over the warhorse.

Does armor actually affect your speed on horseback? I thought for cavalery it's the heaviest armor you can possibly afford.

Sure, though the morningstar is just going to be better. More reach, faster speed, you can 1h it for a lesser penalty, still has blockcrush. Less damage but that doesn't really matter off horseback.
Courser is good for melee in mp but not so much sp, you want something tankier. Armor doesn't affect speed on horseback but it affects speed on foot through weight, same with Athletics, weapon weight, and Agility.

Is it viable in single-player to use sledgehammer type weapons like the Maul, Sledgehammer and Great Hammer from horseback?
I read a lot of mixed things about two-handed weapons from horseback, from people saying that they just aren't practical, to people stating that they are enjoyable to use.
I also think that the slaver troop tree uses sledgehammers from Horseback, but then again, they aren't exactly the strongest units in the game.

I know that everything is viable in single-player is you are a master of the game, but I am not a master of the game.
I wouldn't use it, there are a few problems that come to mind with 2h and hammers on horseback. The reach is too short, it exposes you to projectiles while riding around and the attack speed is also very slow.

Scimitars, cleavers, awlpikes and morningstars are much better alternatives.

Steppe charger is by far the best horse in warband native.

--- Armor only affects foot movement speed

Lmao. I am just imagining you riding at full speed and then bonking someone with a sledgehammer on the way past. But as for your question, no it wouldn't be very good, too slow and not enough reach, and the damage is overkill. You are probably better of going with a classic lance, shield and long cavalry sword, or maybe a bow. Or a morning star would also be a good choice as others have mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom