Great Timing -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Rich

Grandmaster Knight
Haven't played for quite quite a while but I started a new campaign a few days ago, deciding this time to take a non-cav route and rely instead on Vaegir archers as the mainstay of my army. Anyway after the usual few weeks of plodding around killing bandits and winning tournaments I had a small band of sharpshooters and was at a decent level of combat ability. I soon got invited to the Vaegirs and accepted.

Anyway the Vaegirs had been at war with the Nords when I joined them, our lords were surprisingly organised and were advancing on Wercheg and Sargoth in force. In fact we took Wercheg with relative ease, followed closely by Tehlrog castle. It looked like the Nord lands (which extended as far as Uxkhal, splitting the Swadian territory in half) would soon be crushed under the boots of the Vaegir as Sargoth looked about to fall. At that point the plan fell apart.

Over a few days the khergits, followed by the Sarranids then the Swadians all declared war on us. This was pretty hard for a while with all of them except the Swadians repeatedly launching large campaigns but we held our ground. However the Nords soon got sick of the fighting and made peace with us, which allowed me to invest in recruiting and training up as many huscarls as I could.

From that point the war was surprisingly positive for us, despite the numerical disadvantage we started pushing outwards from Reyvadin towards Narra, I gained Dramug Castle myself and was rewarded it, and we managed to eventually take Narra as well as a few other castles along the way. At this point the Nords 40 days of peace gave up and they went to war again mere days after. My huscarls (of which I had nearly 50, plus 50 more in various stages between recruit and veteran) became useless. I was immediately involved in some pretty 'slaughtery' battles which saw my huscarl + sharpshooter combo basically annihilate the entire Nord army. But the result of this was that the Nords went from +3 relation to -97 over only 2 days. As such my wonderful huscarls started leaving and I had to put them in the Dramug garrison to hang on to them.

With the Nords now attacking and a critical part of my army rendered unusable in any sort of protracted campaign I watched unable to stop as most of our gains in land towards Narra were retaken. After a few weeks of this I decided enough was enough and this ganging up (4 on 1) against us was too much. I sneaked into Dhirim and was fortunate to get a quest for peace (exactly what I wanted) between the Swadians and the Vaegirs. For convincing the two lords to bring peace I would be rewarded 12,000 denars (which I could really use since I had been investing heavily in Dye Works) Convincing the Vaegir lord to support peace was simple if expensive. The Swadian one however was lord Haringoth who hung out for most of the time at Haringoth castle. So, knowing I would be going up against what might be a strong Swadian lord I gathered every competent infantryman, all my sharpshooters and all the spare cav I had in my garrison and set out with 110 (65 archers of which 50 were sharpshooters, 30 infantry of various mercenary types and 15 cav most of whom were slave drivers) men for a mission deep behind enemy lines.

I found Haringoth returning with a second lord at the bridge near his castle, between them they had about 250 men and of that around 70 were men at arms or knights. However his own homeland betrayed him as the terrain leant excellently to my archers with his forces having to cross a river then run up a hill to get to me. It was honestly an awesome sight seeing volley after volley of arrows smash through his lines and the few cav that managed to get up out of the ditch were dispatched by my infantry who were set just behind my line of archers.

Total victory cost me a mere 15 men which mostly came from the cav I had with me. The quest completed and peace imminent I set out back to Dhirim to claim my reward...

...Actually it was even more imminent than I expected, pretty much seconds after I had won the battle and set out, the Swadians, Sarranids and Khergits all suddenly (and pretty much simultaneously) made peace with us. The quest was cancelled and my reward lost :cry:. Haringoth must have been some sort of mastermind controlling all three kingdoms or something :shock:. Still I got more than I wanted originally.

Now I need to deal with the Nords so I can get my huscarls back. Then make sure everyone else pays... in blood.

-------------------------

Have to say, I went the archer route for my own character this time and its extremely devastating, I have a 7 in Ironskin, powerstrike and powerdraw along with a 5 in cav archery. Its an extremely flexible and powerful combination and is much stronger than the melee route I usually take. You have to invest more points of course though... But killing the damned khergit cav-archers has never been easier.

I am glad that its easier to invest and get money from the cities, it makes the game a lot more fun than when I last played and had to spend every free second trading like crazy or beating up sea raiders to stay in the black.

Sharpshooters are really effective up to the point you actually have to fight in melee. They cant really even take on mid tier infantry on their own without a numerical advantage. As a top tier unit I kind of expected them to be half decent in melee as well. They also strangely seem to only have 1 quiver of arrows, as they only have one melee weapon they must have a free slot, why not use it  :???:. As such they tend to run out of ammo really fast, I have to keep telling them to hold fire except when the enemy are at optimum range.

Huscarls totally kick ass, they seem to be good in every situation against every enemy, its a good thing the AI never seems to have any of them :grin:. Huscarls = Spartans?

Yes, this happens a lot with the viagers, they border the most kingdoms and with Narra, the sarrininds too.

I've been considering adding a second quiver of arrows to all archers above the basic huntsmen/skirmishers. The idea being that a crossbowman takes twice as long to fire and a bowman is carrying substantially less already. You can modify them into the game.

Stephanh89 said:
10/10
would read again

Agreed, very nicely written.

You can try rhodock sharpshooter, as they kick ass even in melee. Not enough to take out high tier or elite units, but they do nice work against anything below.

I <3 the archers too. I won a 1000v250 battle with them and a hill. I was terrified about the arrow thing too though, had to make them hold fire between waves. Admittedly, my module has quivers containing 100 arrows so it was a bit less of a close call then it would be for you. It's also really sadisticly pleasing to watch the last infantry guy of a wave approach your archer wall slowly, while you order your men to hold fire until the 10 metre mark whereby he gets simultaneously hit by 100+ arrows.

Good stuff.

Thanks for the complements ^^.

TheBali said:
You can try rhodock sharpshooter, as they kick ass even in melee. Not enough to take out high tier or elite units, but they do nice work against anything below.

I didn't recruit any Rhodok forces because I felt they would be too far away for me to be able to quickly get enough of them. I did have some Swadian xbows at the start when it was just the Nords, but they went the same way as the huscarls and are currently being held in my newly conquered city of Sargoth. The Nords are on the ropes now!

I started recruiting Vaegirs to get guardsmen as well as sharp shooters, they aren't a patch on huscarls but they make relatively good medium infantry.

You say your hulscarls were leaving? So it would be desertion? I played a game with Vaegirs troops while fighting the said vaegirs, and they never deserted me, their morale went to average at worst, so that seems strange to me that your Nords would quit like that.

Otherwise nice story, a good tale of war well told if I may say.

Well as I said I just annihilated a fair few Nord armies with said huscarls. Their individual morale dropped to extremely poor and I had a -97 bonus on all my nord troops. After one night I lost 3 huscarls and 2 veterans, so I didn't think that would be sustainable.

Maldomel said:
You say your hulscarls were leaving? So it would be desertion? I played a game with Vaegirs troops while fighting the said vaegirs, and they never deserted me, their morale went to average at worst, so that seems strange to me that your Nords would quit like that.

Yeah, I've had troops desert me because I was defeating armies of the nation they belonged to. Particularly annoying is when the Nords declare war on me and continually siege my only town with 800+ troops each time. Tends to drop my Huscarls' morale quite fast.

Lord Rich said:
Thanks for the complements ^^.

TheBali said:

I didn't recruit any Rhodok forces because I felt they would be too far away for me to be able to quickly get enough of them. I did have some Swadian xbows at the start when it was just the Nords, but they went the same way as the huscarls and are currently being held in my newly conquered city of Sargoth. The Nords are on the ropes now!

I started recruiting Vaegirs to get guardsmen as well as sharp shooters, they aren't a patch on huscarls but they make relatively good medium infantry.

May I suggest Diplomacy Mod? You can just as easily send a recruiter to go get rhodoks for you. I personally cannot stand having to go around recruiting across the land to each little crumy village... I'm LAZY  :mrgreen:

Jarl Erik the Red said:
May I suggest Diplomacy Mod? You can just as easily send a recruiter to go get rhodoks for you. I personally cannot stand having to go around recruiting across the land to each little crumy village... I'm LAZY  :mrgreen:

Sounds good, I might give a go :smile:.

Back
Top Bottom