Great American Train Trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey friends, I happen to have ten spare days between the end of the school year in June and the beginning of my research position, so I figured one cool way to spend those ten days would be to train trip across the United States and back.

I will be spending a day+ in these following cities:
Denver
Washington DC
Chicago
Atlanta
New Orleans

Where should I visit?
Also, ideas for what to do on the train?
Should I write a blog?

Seems like a large area to cover in just 10 days. You'll be spending more than half your time in a train.

For example, Denver -> Chicago is 18 hours by train. :razz:

Assuming you're sticking around the National Mall, naturally the Smithsonian is a must if you like museums. Besides the big ones, I'm really fond of the Freer and Sackler Galleries, which have their specialty in Asian art, and their collection is divine. I'm afraid the Freer section is closed, but the underground Sackler gallery is still open, and I highly recommend it. Also best gift shop ever. If you can catch the metro down to Georgetown, Dumbarton Oaks museum is more out of the way, so less crowds and has a collection of Byzantine and pre-Columbian art, though I have yet to see it myself. Intended to do so when I had my interest in the Inka, but never got around to it. Georgetown is also nice for walking around and window shopping, though I'm not certain whether you're a big shopper, Eternal.  :razz: It can get mighty expensive as well, so if you go there watch your wallet, though the area itself is quite nice. If you can get out of the city proper, the Udvar-Hazy Center near Duller International Airport has an incredible collection of aircraft, including the Enola Gay and one of the space shuttles, so if aircraft is one of your interests I recommend that.

Beyond that... depends what you like to do, or what you'd like to see in general. I'm sure you know most of the big monuments in the city, they're pretty easy to get from one to the other along the National Mall.

Being on a train should be way more relaxing and allow you to read, sleep, chat, use your mobile/laptop and enjoy the scenery though. The fact that he has a limited time of ten days for the trip means that a schedule is useful, he can't overrun or fail to visit all of the cities in time. Of course, making spontaneous stops or extending stays in particular places has its own merits.

You guys forgot the most important pros of using the train, namely that he can drink.

DanAngleland said:
Being on a train should be way more relaxing and allow you to read, sleep, chat, use your mobile/laptop and enjoy the scenery though. The fact that he has a limited time of ten days for the trip means that a schedule is useful, he can't overrun or fail to visit all of the cities in time. Of course, making spontaneous stops or extending stays in particular places has its own merits.
Yeah of course, I wasn't discrediting his plan :razz: Just expressing my wish. Would have to spend at least a month doing it, maybe more.

Gestricius said:
You guys forgot the most important pros of using the train, namely that he can drink.

Not in America he can't.

Trains are nice though. Cars are fun but you have to pay attention, with trains you can relax.

raw

Let me know when you're in DC and we can get into quote wars hang.  :razz: If you want, I would be able to give you a tour of the Capitol.

Almalexia said:
If you can catch the metro down to Georgetown...

The metro doesn't go to Georgetown - you have to either walk across the bridge from Rosslyn or get off at Foggy Bottom and go from there.  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom