Generals in Linebattles

Users who are viewing this thread

LtSpearing

Sergeant Knight
Linebattles have gone on since the dawn of BG2. They have defined MM, and are the prime-time sports of NW. Now, they are what makes N&S one of the best games out there. Many of us, if not all of us, have attended at least one big event linebattle with over a hundred players. Not many of us, however, have attended an event when there was a general for each team.

Go back about.... one and a half years. Go to MM, and you will remember those generals, coordinating the army to win the round, over and over again. It gave purpose to the game and to the event.

However, now-a-days you youngin's keep generals out of linebattles, and simply let each regiment run around, willy-nilly, sometimes in a way that does literally nothing. Some regiments run off into oblivion, and never see combat till the end of the round when everyone is dead or scattered, and they're the last shining tidal wave, when if they had been in combat they could of tipped the balance.

So, seeing as a lot of people are trying to be historically accurate here, I have noticed a lot of people making brigades, or heck, entire armies. Since people seem to be gravitating towards this sort of structured, militaristic organization, far beyond what I've seen in most other mods, like MM, or even NW, I would think it'd be a good thing to wonder if the days of the Linebattle Generals are being revived?

Would it be entirely impossible for me to imagine a general giving commands to every regiment in the event? The General would be selected by the admins, and the general for the other side as well, and both sides would go at it? Coordination would improve drastically. Who else thinks that a few experimental linebattles with generals would be swell?

Generals were voided out because people who took the time to create and organize clans don't tend to want to take orders from someone who was mandated to lead them. I certainly would not want to come to a linebattle where someone had to tell me what to do whom I did not agree with.

Of course, the above is probably rather ironic since I was a general on one of the only nights it ever happened on the NA linebattle. But I digress,  I would rather see more armies form outside of linebattles, than mandated and changed from week to week.

Also, using the term 'youngin's', oh you.

Oh, Defouta :3

/ontopic

After reading through your post, I realize now that I really should of clarified....

I meant to say more generals as in from the actual brigades.

Example: Out of 7 regiments, 5 of them belong to an army with a general. Since they outnumber the other regiments, that brigade would have their general commanding, or what-not. Basically, just if there is enough people in a brigade, then you'd have a general to command them in the LB, and thus the entire side. It'd be pretty badass to have a general staff running about, ordering folks to what now.

But yes, I do remember being given a random commander. Sometimes, they were good. Other times, they knew f*ck all. You either get a real good one, or a total tard. The one time I commanded a 250 man sunday event, I was on Facebook the entire event (I was bored) and my side won both the maps, not a single loss. Honestly, I'd like to see some really badass, huge, regimental formations, like a multi-regiment square, or even just a massive, inter-regimental line made from some of these new brigades.

LtSpearing said:
Honestly, I'd like to see some really badass, huge, regimental formations, like a multi-regiment square, or even just a massive, inter-regimental line made from some of these new brigades.

^ This would be epic.

But yes, it would be awesome with Generals. It should not be Random ones tho'. It should be pre selected Generals with good reputation.

when it comes to Linebattle we in the union army division have Lance using the General class, me in the brigadier class. Lance is commanding the division wile I command the irish brigade.

So ye, we uses generals in like every big LB

This is a good idea. We have plans to extent the high command idea.. the new class is just the first step :smile:

The Union Army is doing excactly that what you suggested Spearing. We have over 20 regiments beeing organized in 4 brigades, each having one brigadier general or colonel in command, all commanded by a General Major, who leads the division. We actually want to have as many regiments in that as possible, to have the maximum of organization. And that works for regular event linebattles, as well as for special organized ones. Last saturday linebattle for example we had one server (200 Slots) just filled with people of the 1st Corps of Dixieland (lead by Lt.General Jannik) and of the Union Army (lead by Major General Lance and two Brigadier Generals, Thomas Meagher (fingernikas) and Santkyle of the 51st Ohio). It was just epic, because it really felt like beeing involved in a real battle, staying in reserve while other regiments are currently in firing exchange, then getting the order to advancing over a flank, holding a brigde, while seeing two complete brigades firing at each other.
It was just great and I highly recommend every single regiment to join either one of the CSA Armies (CSA or 1st Corps of Dixilenad) or the Union Army. The more regiments take part at this, the better the whole community is organized and everybody is having more fun. And of course it is possible to have more than that though this, like a real army structure etc.

Shouldn't it be possible to bump up the players to 250? At 200 everything's very stable (atleast to me). MM used to be able to handle 250 pretty decently.

Oh, if only these games could handle say, 500 players. It would be the greatest thing since the creation of Belgium.

HarbingerOfDoom said:
Shouldn't it be possible to bump up the players to 250? At 200 everything's very stable (atleast to me). MM used to be able to handle 250 pretty decently.

Oh, if only these games could handle say, 500 players. It would be the greatest thing since the creation of Belgium.
We need to get best interwebz in the world to support such things.

Menelaos16 said:
HarbingerOfDoom said:

We need to get best interwebz in the world to support such things.

The "Internet" is not the issue here.

CPU usage and Warband's network engine is though.

I think having a General giving orders to officers in each regiment gives the battle a more realistic and fun theme. I would personally enjoy being ordered around by a good general and then telling my men to obey those orders. Well thats what I think of this situation. I'd rather prefer large organised battles rather than a FFA.

In regards to the 250 slot question: Vince already answered this in another thread, I think it was the dev Q&A thread, but his answer was somewhere along the lines of "Optimization, blah blah blah dutch dutch dutch lag server stress blah blah blah 200 slots is still quite massive in comparison to your standard COD game so I'd say it's a pretty sweet gig btw did I mention I'm dutch" or something like that.

@Union army people things: how do I get my reg involved in that as a sort of guest status. We're not too professional to where we want to be involved in massive weekly training, but it'd be nice to be hip with the happenings during LB's.

LtSpearing said:
Linebattles have gone on since the dawn of BG2. They have defined MM, and are the prime-time sports of NW. Now, they are what makes N&S one of the best games out there. Many of us, if not all of us, have attended at least one big event linebattle with over a hundred players. Not many of us, however, have attended an event when there was a general for each team.

Go back about.... one and a half years. Go to MM, and you will remember those generals, coordinating the army to win the round, over and over again. It gave purpose to the game and to the event.

However, now-a-days you youngin's keep generals out of linebattles, and simply let each regiment run around, willy-nilly, sometimes in a way that does literally nothing. Some regiments run off into oblivion, and never see combat till the end of the round when everyone is dead or scattered, and they're the last shining tidal wave, when if they had been in combat they could of tipped the balance.

So, seeing as a lot of people are trying to be historically accurate here, I have noticed a lot of people making brigades, or heck, entire armies. Since people seem to be gravitating towards this sort of structured, militaristic organization, far beyond what I've seen in most other mods, like MM, or even NW, I would think it'd be a good thing to wonder if the days of the Linebattle Generals are being revived?

Would it be entirely impossible for me to imagine a general giving commands to every regiment in the event? The General would be selected by the admins, and the general for the other side as well, and both sides would go at it? Coordination would improve drastically. Who else thinks that a few experimental linebattles with generals would be swell?
yep the good old days of MM, that is the problem with NW now no teamwork its all regiment solo play that is why my guys love N&S and cant wait for next week

LtSpearing said:
In regards to the 250 slot question: Vince already answered this in another thread, I think it was the dev Q&A thread, but his answer was somewhere along the lines of "Optimization, blah blah blah dutch dutch dutch lag server stress blah blah blah 200 slots is still quite massive in comparison to your standard COD game so I'd say it's a pretty sweet gig btw did I mention I'm dutch" or something like that.

@Union army people things: how do I get my reg involved in that as a sort of guest status. We're not too professional to where we want to be involved in massive weekly training, but it'd be nice to be hip with the happenings during LB's.

I´ll add you on steam or send you a pm :wink:

We could also add something like Regiment Reputation. So like, we say they get an Order from the General, but dosn't obey for whatever reason, they should loose some reputation, and vice versa

GoldenEagle said:
We could also add something like Regiment Reputation. So like, we say they get an Order from the General, but dosn't obey for whatever reason, they should loose some reputation, and vice versa
What a great idea to create strife in the community.

HarbingerOfDoom said:
GoldenEagle said:
What a great idea to create strife in the community.

LOL.

Agreed entirely. "Oh hey, here comes the 901th Southern Rights Regiment. It seems they have only 15 rep, whilst all the other regs have over 50. Let's not invite them to ANY of the events and shun them from intelligent modern society."

Well overall I like the idea of taking command from a General personally. I think it adds another layer to a great mod.

In regards to increasing the player slots, I think it will be a great idea, plus more people more fun... unless stefiboy gets in

Back
Top Bottom