General Feedback & Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

There is a Dropbox shared folder, here is my mercenary troop design excel file, if you want to participate, try asking Windy for invitation to shared folder. You can see that I've just played with concepts...in fact, I did a few stronger and more intelligent troops but I forgot to save them so they've been lost.

That sheet is basically rating and tier calculator. I just copy a previous sheet and modify it(as you can plainly see).

I need guide to this mod cool and nice to help me travel safe through Silverstag, well I like battle mechanics also I hope troop trees will be cool and end game kind of fun ?

I highly recommend visiting the wiki guide in my signature for more info on most of the major systems.  It is ever a work in progress, but there is a great deal there to reference.  If folks feel specific concepts are really needed just let me know and I will see to adding them.

Windyplains said:
I'd like to ask for a little less focused feedback from the community for once and instead of picking a specific system or new content to pick apart I would like to ask you a few simple questions.

1.  What are the top three things that you dislike about the mod?

1.) The beginning troops of all factions are too expensive, making starting out particularly difficult at least to my taste. Going from 10 or so gold per recruit to 83 gold per militiamen for Swadia is just insane for starting out.
2.) This isn't a grievance, just something I would like to see in the mod itself. I want the Freelancers, aka Sigmunds faction of Mercs, from Floris or something similar to them. By mid-game in Floris my army was comprised predominantly of them using mainly blunt weapons if possible to fuel my army via the slave trade.
3.) I dislike how when a faction takes over an area all troops recruited in that area default to the new factions troops instead of the original faction. This makes it hard to have the army I want to have specifically since I rather like having an army composed of units from multiple factions by the endgame if I don't have Sigmunds mercs.

Windyplains said:
2. What are the top three things that you like about the mod?  What keeps you playing Silverstag over something else?  Specific features, the community, design?
1.) Despite my issue with the price of getting into it, the new recruitment options are great, if a bit expensive. I can quickly amass an army of decent troops provided I have enough capital to do so.
2.) Abilities
3.) VASTLY improved Companion management over Floris.

Windyplains said:
3. If you could change one thing about the mod, regardless of your skills to do so, what would it be?  This is related to the first question, but not always.  Sometimes folks may not like certain things that currently exist, but they'd like to see something else added in as a higher priority.
The implementation of some unit customization. Mainly I would like to be able to customize their equipment to a degree much like the Floris Freelancer Mercenary faction because having an entire army using predominantly blunt weapons is a fantastic way of becoming obscenely wealthy and thus obscenely powerful.

Other than those few niggling issues, the mod is fantastic and I vastly look forward to all updates.

Karl XII said:
Oh, one other thing I'd add. Commissioning weapons or armour to be made. Make it grossly expensive, like 4x or 5x normal cost, but I'd sure love to be able to commission the equipment I like for myself and my companions. Especially now that the increased number of types of weapons dilutes the numbers of particular weapons in the general pool.

I agree with this - it's closer to reality, especially with armour. 

The only thing that annoys about this mod, so far, is the heraldry.  A lot of it doesn't really look medieval - it just looks like silly t-shirt designs.  I mean, I banner that says "WARHAMMER"? WTF? Why not just have the hammer?

<<The only thing that annoys about this mod, so far, is the heraldry.  A lot of it doesn't really look medieval - it just looks like silly t-shirt designs.  I mean, I banner that says "WARHAMMER"? WTF? Why not just have the hammer?>>

Agreed. More cheezy death metal band than medieval. Why not at least port over the Floris ones?

Karl XII said:
<<The only thing that annoys about this mod, so far, is the heraldry.  A lot of it doesn't really look medieval - it just looks like silly t-shirt designs.  I mean, I banner that says "WARHAMMER"? WTF? Why not just have the hammer?>>

Agreed. More cheezy death metal band than medieval. Why not at least port over the Floris ones?
Not to worry the banners will be changed with the next save breaking update.  The new ones are all ready to go (better banners mod), I am just waiting to make a clean switch.  The current setup was originally added back when the mod was the Floris Workshop and was not being released as a public mod. 

As for the Floris ones I am not really a fan of them and try to keep Silverstag different from Floris where I can.  Very often Silverstag's word of mouth is that it is simply a continuation of Floris which isn't right since that mod's source was not used as a base for this mod.

Raith_Sienar said:
The implementation of some unit customization. Mainly I would like to be able to customize their equipment to a degree much like the Floris Freelancer Mercenary faction because having an entire army using predominantly blunt weapons is a fantastic way of becoming obscenely wealthy and thus obscenely powerful.
This has been a very popular request so I will be creating my own setup for doing this once troops are where I need them.

Karl XII said:

It is pretty strange seeing things like the flags of the Kingdom of Finland and the Kingdom of Portugal as banners (as well as the Warhammer one, I always have to change that one).

FWIW, I've started making new banner sets on a faction-by-faction basis.  I'm trying to give them each a distinct character.  So far I'm about 85% done with the Sarranids.  Absolutely no ETA on this project, though.  And it may be abandoned entirely once the new banner sets come out, per Windy's post above.  But I'm picky about my banners, so you never know.  :smile:

Oh, good, so it's not just me, then.  One thing I would like to add, is that I know you seem to get a lot of requests to add "Freelancer" or something to that effect, and I for one wouldn't mind if this never happened.  I tried it with whatever that giant Song of Ice and Fire mod is called and it seemed so bloody boring, having to watch my employer run all over Westeros and not actually doing anything.

Hey there!

I was just wondering if anyone has been able to solve the loading setting data crash with WSE? I saw the ticket on assembla but the last activity was from January. That's the only reason I haven't tried this mod because it seems really interesting.

Thanks

EDIT: Just saw that I could run this without WSE from a casual mention in the 0.21 patch notes. Will this have many adverse affects on the game outside of the mentioned pop-up notes?

Did you submit a ticket at Assembla with the logs needed?  What may be causing the crashing for that individual isn't necessarily what is causing it for you.

Three things I dislike:

1. If run with an up-to-date version of Warband, then it needs to be started in a nonstandard way.
2. Recruitment interface could be a little more compact, so you can see more troop types at once.
3. Doesn't improve over vanilla diplomacy very much. Although, this is probably at least partly due to engine limitations.

Three things good:

1. Building system
2. Recruitment system
3. Quests

Big Wish:

Features from the really old Fire Arrow mod for the original Mount & Blade:
- Grain fields & cattle herds are objects on the map, and IIRC you could torch them to hurt village prosperity
- Villages have a finite number of peasants in them, so recruitment takes away village prosperity

I'm fairly new to this mod, only been playing for about a week, but I figure I'm about ready to give some feedback.

Negatives...hmm...give a guy a few months here, okay?

More seriously, I feel like there's a big disconnect in the troop trees, and I'm not good enough at using Morgh's party manager to fix it.  I see a lot of castles garrisoned by what *look* like native mooks - I'm not charging 80+ Huscarls to check that either way - and bandit prisoner trains are likewise full of native soldiers.  Lords and about two thirds of the castles seem to be okay, although running into a Swadian company with in excess of fifty Elite Men-at-Arms is more than a little terrifying.

On that note, I keep running into very, very powerful garrisons and armies.  A 70-man Swadian company massacred my 80-odd Rhodoks right after I swore fealty to Graveth, mostly because every single troop in it was elite while most of my pikers were still basic or veteran.  It's even scarier in the late-game when lords roll around with 200-400 troops, more than half of whom are elites and/or veteran-recruit heavy units.  I feel like there needs to be something there to prune noble armies down to size so the player can get their legs under them, like Floris's bandit warleaders - right now, bandits can't even beat half the caravans, let alone a nobleman!  That said, I might just be a poor commander.  Pretty sure that's part of it.

Lastly, there's a bit too much of a focus on giving certain units and unit types the "right" weapon for their class.  Rhodok pikes are the obvious example - there's a whole thread about it - but polearms in particular are rendered generally fairly weak by game mechanics.  I went into Morgh's and gave the peasant-recruit types falchions and the vet-recruits arming swords, which has helped a little, but it's something to be aware of while redesigning the other factions.

Now for the positives, which I've really been looking forward to.

For one thing, the expanded improvements concept is beautiful and I've had no problems at all with the execution either.  I'd like to see even more options and repeatables eventually, although I have no idea what would work or what benefits they'd give.  I haven't seen city/castle improvements in action yet, obviously, or the way those cooperate with outlying villages, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.  The same goes for kingdom policies once I get that far - I'm really interested in the whole governance thing, and if I can just get over this bloody hump with the huscarl swarms I might have some gushing praise for that soon too

Quests are amazing too.  I've nearly maxed RTR through rebuild quests in particular, just going around cleaning up after the Nords and Khergits every time they take another bite out of the Vaegirs (Vaegirs were eliminated at about day 190, actually).  I really feel like there's a lot more immersion because of some of these even though there's not actually that much player agency involved.  Still, really fun and often fairly profitable, and my high engineering quasi-pacifist character adores the construction and rebuild missions in particular.

And then there's the recruitment system, which is the reason I can't go back to Floris or Native anymore.  It's a brilliant idea, doesn't take too much getting used to (especially now that cattle herds just follow you so you don't have to decline high-paying missions on principle), and allows for way more flexibility than the old systems ever could.  It's got a lot more breadth than even Floris Expanded and I totally love every aspect of it, from faction-loyal and territory-loyal units to the underlying concept that you're buying this guy his equipment.

As for suggestions, I feel like I've already given a few, but right now I'm torn.  I want to see bandits upgraded and expanded a little, enough that they can legitimately interfere with trade and even punch out unwary noble armies, leveling the playing field for midgame player armies.  But I'd also like to see some sort of enterprise revamp while you're doing so much else with governance and stewardship.  The current financial model basically involves your enterprise buying one unit of supplies and selling one unit of product per week, which doesn't take into account that you'd have a lot more buyers for bread than for velvet.  There are a few ways to reflect this, I guess - some sort of profit randomizer that determines how many sales you made that week and multiplies your revenue versus a fixed cost (velvet and oil could quite feasibly get 0 and charge for making more, although that might be way too punishing), a modifier to center prosperity, prosperity growth, and/or relations based on how big a market for that good there would be (bread and tools provide a decent permanent boost, for instance), or something similar.  Not incredibly high on my list of priorities, but as a big in-game investor and someone who wants to see dyeworks a bit less crucial to a solid economy I figured it was worth mentioning.

Sorry for all the walls of text.  I care, therefore I write essays.  Thanks for a great mod, and good luck with the rest of development!

Windyplains said:
1.  What are the top three things that you dislike about the mod?
a) No Diplomacy Mod :roll:..... well atleast some of it's functions. I hate the fact that kings reward me with lands on the complete opposite side of the damn map making it impossible for me to defend any of my owned territory :mad:. Dip Mod had some options in there to trade and swapped own land.... I know it took a sharp turn in the later versions and goes alittle away from what your vision is but there were some peices that was real gold in that mod.
b) Inability to see all my companions stats at once and compare. :sad: The Overseer mod and even something I think you were working on for Floris allowed you to quickly see everything about your companions in 1 solid view. Overseer even let you equip them all on 1 screen. God i miss that convenience. clicking 20 times just to check stats and outfit my companions is simply annoying.  :mad:
c) Item balance..... or lack there of. Specifically in relation to encumberance and armor. I'm at level 30 and i still can't wear 70% of the armors in the game because of encumberance. :sad: It's a damn awesome feature and i really don't want to turn it off, but it's clear that the items need some love and balance.

Windyplains said:
2. What are the top three things that you like about the mod?
a) You.... I love your approach, where your going with this and you value of make this game more engaged with AI :eek:
b) The improvements..... I love customization and options..... more please :razz:
c) Royal decrees and some of your other inovations

Windyplains said:
3. If you could change one thing about the mod, regardless of your skills to do so, what would it be?
Some more dynamic AI interactions. Like the summons back to the castle quests.... great stuff. Maybe dad finds out you been sneaking visits to his daughter.... Love triangle with a married noble. Direct requests from noble....instead of you asking them if they need something done.... they send for you.

Also another suggestion.... a relationship reward system. I see you're putting some of that in with specific troops needing city relation and belonging to a faction, but what about something simpler with faction relation and liege relationship. Maybe a stag emblem at 25, a royal gift at 50 and a special craft masterwork item from the king at 75 relation. Nobles sending you simple gifts. Just a thought.

Phaenur said:
  I see a lot of castles garrisoned by what *look* like native mooks - I'm not charging 80+ Huscarls to check that either way - and bandit prisoner trains are likewise full of native soldiers.  Lords and about two thirds of the castles seem to be okay, although running into a Swadian company with in excess of fifty Elite Men-at-Arms is more than a little terrifying.

A little testing and a lot of bloodshed later (mostly mine, sadly), it turns out I was wrong.  Castle garrisons and lord parties are all properly staffed by the new units.  Deserters, on the other hand, are mostly native (Rhodok Tribesmen and Trained Spearmen are a dead giveaway) with only press-ganged prisoners from the modern troop trees.  Not sure on caravans; I haven't paid as much attention to them as a good alpha-tester should, but there are definitely new troops in the prisoner trains.  Honestly, I think the deserters are the only group that's still drawing from native troops instead of the new release.  So yeah, you can more or less forget that complaint.

On a related note, the native units are pretty much exactly on par with the new ones anyway, so nice work on balancing!  It really gets my hopes up for the future faction releases.

Phaenur said:
A little testing and a lot of bloodshed later (mostly mine, sadly), it turns out I was wrong.  Castle garrisons and lord parties are all properly staffed by the new units.  Deserters, on the other hand, are mostly native (Rhodok Tribesmen and Trained Spearmen are a dead giveaway) with only press-ganged prisoners from the modern troop trees.
Good catch.  That's now been corrected for v0.23.

Back
Top Bottom