General Feedback: v0.15 (Current: Patch 12)

Users who are viewing this thread

can i just say that the strength requirements are perfect. only drop them down by 2 max if you must bend to these whiney people who want full plate horse archers :razz:

The only problem I've had to with strength requirements is that I needed to be a pretty strong guy to wear leather boots, lol.

Leather is being balanced for the 10 to 15 strength range, eventually. The days of leaving your strength at or near base — which I loved doing — are less frequent.

Truth is that no/low strenght requirement boots are pretty hard to find on the battlefield.
Many bandits were in fact peasants who lacked the strenght to get themselve shoes. I hope you realize you ruined their whole life!

Windyplains said:
Larmantine said:
Nothing bad to say, except for the crashes. Previous versions didn't have them.
If you are crashing then I would be interested in isolating the reason why.  One tool that would help would be your WSE_crash_log.txt found in your WSE folder.  Also your rgl_log.txt found in the main warband folder directly after a crash as it get rewritten each time you start the game.  Post those in a ticket at the assembla site and we will try to track the issue down.

Will do next time when it crashes

I have a weird problem. I like to check enable cheats on the loader and occasionally use it for jumping around the map if I'm doing something menial, or knocking out the last few stragglers in a battle that I've won (especially those stupid horse archers that just ride around forever).

With this new version I've run into a bug or something that seems to turn that option off right after I get out of my first battle. Doesn't happen after tournaments, just actual map battles. The only way I've seen to fix it is to reload the game and re-tick it on the launcher, which is obviously kind of a pain. Is there a way to make it not turn off after fights?

Pacalon said:
I have a weird problem. I like to check enable cheats on the loader and occasionally use it for jumping around the map if I'm doing something menial, or knocking out the last few stragglers in a battle that I've won (especially those stupid horse archers that just ride around forever).

With this new version I've run into a bug or something that seems to turn that option off right after I get out of my first battle. Doesn't happen after tournaments, just actual map battles. The only way I've seen to fix it is to reload the game and re-tick it on the launcher, which is obviously kind of a pain. Is there a way to make it not turn off after fights?
This is a known issue that's been in the previous versions as well.  At this time we're not sure what is causing it or how to fix that problem.

Windyplains said:
Pacalon said:

This is a known issue that's been in the previous versions as well.  At this time we're not sure what is causing it or how to fix that problem.

Is there anything that modifies the rgl_config file in My Documents/Mount&Blade Warband? Cause it seems like going into the launcher and setting everything like you want, then checking allow cheats, then quitting out and making that file read only solves the problem. On next launch it stays enabled the entire time. So something must be changing or affecting that file somehow when you leave battles. It's weird. Could be a script extender issue?

Pacalon said:
Could be a script extender issue?
This has been suggested, but even cmpxchg8b (who created WSE) is unaware of any reason why that would be happening.  There is no change within the mod that I am aware of that should be altering that file.

One solution is that I can simply create a new mod option to let you select if you want cheat mode on or off and then force the option to be that condition by regularly resetting it.

Windyplains said:
Pacalon said:
Could be a script extender issue?
This has been suggested, but even cmpxchg8b (who created WSE) is unaware of any reason why that would be happening.  There is no change within the mod that I am aware of that should be altering that file.

Ah well. It seems like that's a pretty easy work around as read only only takes a second and its not like people need to modify those settings often or anything. Much more pressing things to address I'm sure.

By the way, I love the new companion menus. It's great! Seeing compatibilities, setting autoloot stuff, etc. Looks much more slick and clean. Especially loving the Storekeeper, Quartermaster, Gaoler stuff. Great addition.

Pacalon said:
Ah well. It seems like that's a pretty easy work around as read only only takes a second and its not like people need to modify those settings often or anything. Much more pressing things to address I'm sure.
It seems I didn't search hard enough for this.  PBOD alters the game's cheat setting, yet looking at the code it is supposed to restore it back to the originally found setting after a combat.  Why it does this alteration at all I am not yet sure of, but I'll keep digging.  It does this to allow for real time deployment as that command only works if cheat mode is enabled.  Further testing shows that the "restoration of your original setting" always kicks in, but is not always initialized and that appears to be the cause.

By the way, I love the new companion menus. It's great! Seeing compatibilities, setting autoloot stuff, etc. Looks much more slick and clean. Especially loving the Storekeeper, Quartermaster, Gaoler stuff. Great addition.
Thanks. :smile:  I hope to bring more of these user interface improvements as time continues on.  Advisors, for instance, will be getting a similar selection menu as the party roles do.  You can see its placement in the "manage this town" option from a fief you own.

On the subject of user interface, I've noticed that Nissa is not shown in the list of characters in the notes screen. Additionally, it would be nice if that screen showed your relationship with your companions, since talking to them shows their morale instead.

Yarrum said:
On the subject of user interface, I've noticed that Nissa is not shown in the list of characters in the notes screen. Additionally, it would be nice if that screen showed your relationship with your companions, since talking to them shows their morale instead.
A bug ticket for the first and suggestion ticket for the second would be a good idea.

Azek said:
As for the merchants, I don't think your 'trade rival' system really solves the problem here. The problem isn't gaining money, its what you do with the money once you get it. By default, you pool that money into getting horsemen and industries, but at the end of the day the only thing left to do is to be a vassal, a military leader. We need an alternative to vassals and kings, how about guilds? Instead of aspiring to be king, you look to be the head of a merchant empire that spans the kingdoms.

This was a discussion Diessa and I were having last week.  Though it bills itself as a 'sandbox' game M&B still channels you into a 'become-a-vassal-then-a-king-to-conquor-all of-Calradia' scenario.  We both agreed, and Windy is sympathetic, to a concept of true sandbox game.  A true sandbox game will mimic life in that you will get to follow your dreams.  You may only want to be a vassal with one or two villages to rule over.  You may wish to follow a merchant's path to wealth and glory.  The game should allow you the flexibility to follow different paths and have a fulfilling gaming experience in that path.  However, (there's always an 'however' isn't there  :wink:) such a system takes time to flesh out.  Windy is moving in the right direction with setting up a rival trader.  Eventually this can be expanded to have all the various national caravans actually represent competitors who are trading.  The Guild Masters in the cities will now be similar to lords of the realms and the goal to become a merchant prince yourself.  From there other options become possible such as resource monopolies or trade route monopolies.  Opportunities to hire bandits to attack a competitor's caravans, or perhaps be a bandit who raids on caravans.  As Guild Master you can work on improving your town's prosperity winning your lord's respect and perhaps being appointed the Lord's Chancellor where you can use your persuasion skills to rule behind the throne.  From town chancellor perhaps up to being the King's Chancellor... well - you see the direction this heads.

In short - all of this is doable.  It will just take time as each piece of the puzzle is crafted, installed, and play-tested.  You can help as well by going to Assembla (see Windy's byline - just click on "Development Site,") create an account, and then you will be able to create a "New Ticket."  This way the ideas are cataloged and not lost.  Based on the Production Schedule Windy will (if he likes the idea) place it on the 'Assembly Line' for inclusion in the mode.

Azek said:
As for the merchants, I don't think your 'trade rival' system really solves the problem here. The problem isn't gaining money, its what you do with the money once you get it. By default, you pool that money into getting horsemen and industries, but at the end of the day the only thing left to do is to be a vassal, a military leader. We need an alternative to vassals and kings, how about guilds? Instead of aspiring to be king, you look to be the head of a merchant empire that spans the kingdoms.
This quote makes quite a few assumptions about what the system represents based on a fairly generic comment by me.  Rivals and finding deals are one aspect of what I wanted to do for trading, but that also expands into a lot of diplomatic gameplay.  Like financing lords, buying their debts to use for political power, etc.  Adding all of that sort of thing in is not minor though and rebuilding troops took priority.  As a result this is why I don't tend to share more information of what I plan on doing simply because until it is ready to be tested it is nothing more than vaporware.  Something mod threads promise enough already.

Please go back to the more earthly tones of the original.  this new fangled light grey is appalling and I actually do not want to play this SIMPLY because of this horrendous change.

Shoobs said:
Please go back to the more earthly tones of the original.  this new fangled light grey is appalling and I actually do not want to play this SIMPLY because of this horrendous change.

Wow, you're the first I've heard not like it.  That's a shame.  I prefer it by far.

What do you not like about it?

The brightness.  The rest of the game is so dim and dark that every time I go into a menu I cringe.

I have read or heard the odd comment about the added screen. Mostly, it is a readjustment, but I think that it is valid criticism that the screen is jarring when compared with the remainder of the game. I have always viewed it as a placeholder until either it—or something similar—can be implemented elsewhere or a Native background can be redone (i.e., with less "grunge," which reduced readability). I feel that the background is part of the theme of a less cohesive vision for the graphical direction of Silverstag compared to its other remarkable qualities. For example, creating a new character, going to the tavern in Sargoth, then riding to Wercheg will provide you with an eclectic mix of some artwork, ~white~, a pseudo-realistic "desk" image, ~white~, and a Warhammer banner. I don't mind the white screen—actually, it has grown on me to the point of being okay with it, but it doesn't fit the yellowed sketchbook theme of the remainder of the UI; as a result, it remains as a transition to something as opposed to the destination. Until that time comes, whatever it is, there will be true contrast: light and dark. For now, I don't worry about it too much because the needs of the user interface are still changing with features; I think that a good time for the graphical overhaul will be when a lot of the core features have been completed.

I know that is why I've kept relatively quiet in public about it, and I have encouraged consistency in the approach to visualizing this mod. I can confirm that my initial reaction to the background when reading the forum post was negative. However, usability was better, so I decided to see how it went.

Back
Top Bottom