Game of Thrones - HBO TV series based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire'

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo said:
KhergitLancer99 said:
The problem is that because of lazy writing the show dumped very important stuff illogically.

Dothraki: show had been making us live among them for many episodes with daenyrs we saw their way of life, their culture, even a language was created for them. What happened in 8x03 was puuure bull****. Just for one supposedly cool looking scene they wasted them. and I am not even against Dothraki getting wiped out without doing any good. But it was in a way that did not make any sense at all, something that left many logical mistakes and plot holes behind it. 1) Why were they first sent without proper weapons to kill the undead ? 2)If undead were so strong how did  many main character who went through waves of undead survive. Such as Daenyrs and 1 guy with her ?

Night King:
This man was purely wasted so that Cercei shall be the main villain of the show. What a shame. They have been hyping us for 7 seasons and 2 episodes so that finally Arya just ninja him out ? What good did Brann do ? All he did at all was speculating some stuff ? Winter is coming winter is coming winter is coming since 2011 and was this the supposed winter ?

The whole series has revolved from the beginning around the approach of winter, that one could repeat the long night (which if I remember correctly lasted a long time), that the real war would be against the dead and that the iron throne in comparison was irrelevant because if everyone died there would be no one to sit on it. That the final duel in which the Promised Prince, the envoy of the Lord of Light, would finally be revealed, would be against the white walkers, and finally, after years of waiting, the white walkers are finally placed in the first of the seven kingdoms through which they can pass when crossing the wall, and in the first battle that hardly lasts a night they are killed with a knife to the Night King and to another thing.

If that's not disappointing, I don't know what it will be. I doubt that Martin is going to solve everything in such a simplistic way, the war against white walkers deserved at least a whole season of ten episodes where the thing really painted badly and in the end they were defeated in some way that hopefully solved everything that has been dropped throughout the series and the books, that in the end everything is resolved in an episode with a knife is criminal, as I say I hope there is something more or will be the most disappointing television final of the story, and even Martin himself commented just a few days ago that I wish the series had some more season to close things up well, not with a season of six episodes in which the first two are spent talking and in the third and are aired to what was supposedly the main threat of the series.

Take a look at what I said about strategy (link). Let's see if you agree...

Yes of course I agree ! There were no artilley within the castle for example, there are guys like Jaime there who have seen many wars are all these guys idiot ? Not even one of them said this is ballocks ? Or Dothraki ? Keep them in near or sth at least use their skill in archery, if these guys are good horse archers they must be able to shoot some arrows as foot archers as well !

Even their equipment... If not for the red lady Alessandra they neither had dragonglass or valyrian steel how were they going to be able to kill the undead ? They were literally sending them to their deaths like unaware sheeps. And dont forget Alessandra HAPPENED TO be there, by pure luck.

Even you and I Terco, we could sit and script a 1000 times better war strategy.

What a huge waste of potential.

Hide the Dothraki, or at least half of them. Just keep them away. Give them obsidian weapons. Tell them to wait for the trenches to be burning (easy to see from afar). Their mission: find the WW that are expected to be far from the frontline. Each WW killed is worth a hundred wights.

Sure, is dark and mist and what not, but I think 2000 thousand horsemen can cover a lot of terrain. And is not like the WW are actually a powerful foe, they just have OP weapons against steel.

I think there's a setup problem with the whole universe. It's supposed to be gritty grimdark fantasy with no light and dark where everybody betrays and backstabs everybody else. The struggle for the throne has been the focal point for so long that the actual apocalyptic good vs evil struggle is sidelined for seven seasons/five books. When it finally comes to the foreground, you can only do two things: you either turn the whole universe into a regular good vs evil fantasy, which misses the point of what you've been doing for the last decade, or you deal with it in a rushed and anticlimactic manner so you can go back to the backstabbing grey morality game of thrones that's your trademark. None of those solutions is satisfaying.

Mauler's meltdown is absolutely hilarious, I've never seen the poor sod this salty. :lol: He also catches a few more issues than priorly discussed here, this episode is a gift that keeps on giving.

Personally, about the Arya thing: I think they simply wrote themselves into a corner and had to deus ex machina it, as it was clear that we can't have the entire "good guys" side dying and the Night King prevailing.

HoJu said:
I think there's a setup problem with the whole universe. <snip>
Eeeh. That depends on what Martin's final plans are. It's possible the White Walkers were indeed intended to demonstrate how pointless the struggle for the throne is. But I guess we'll only know that if those final two books get released in our lifetimes... (Come to think of it, my money on the legit canonical ending is that the White Walkers win, with humans being far too entrenched in their own petty interests in order to work together and stop them. Death prevails at the end. Wouldn't that be deep, man?)

Jock said:
I don't think the writing's 'lazy'. I think it's more of a problem of skill and/or talent.
Dunno man. The dothraki charge scene was obviously written because it looks cool, not because it makes sense (not that anything makes any sense). Surely expert writers can't be daft enough to not realise that, right?

Yes. I guess you could say talented writers won't have to use lazy solutions but the episodes' quality definitely seems to have heavily drop once the source material ran out.

I think arya killing nk was handled poorly, but I also think it kind of fits really well. You hear all these prophecies pointing to Jon or Dany saving the world, and it turns out the prophecies are bull**** and it's just some girl with some training and a neat knife trick. There's something about that I'd really like, if it were just better done.

HoJu said:
I think there's a setup problem with the whole universe. It's supposed to be gritty grimdark fantasy with no light and dark where everybody betrays and backstabs everybody else. The struggle for the throne has been the focal point for so long that the actual apocalyptic good vs evil struggle is sidelined for seven seasons/five books. When it finally comes to the foreground, you can only do two things: you either turn the whole universe into a regular good vs evil fantasy, which misses the point of what you've been doing for the last decade, or you deal with it in a rushed and anticlimactic manner so you can go back to the backstabbing grey morality game of thrones that's your trademark. None of those solutions is satisfaying.
Exactly this.

Just spent the last 4 days catching up from the end of season 5.

Season 6 was great, it feels like it fits.

Then Season 7 and 8 so far just as a whole feel forced and rushed to just get it finished already. We've went from having 10 episodes a season to... well random ****ing numbers. There's all your proof they are just trying to finish it and cash it in already.

Unpopular opinion: I want Cersei to ****ing win now so there is no ****ing happy ending.

Lumos said:
Eeeh. That depends on what Martin's final plans are. It's possible the White Walkers were indeed intended to demonstrate how pointless the struggle for the throne is. But I guess we'll only know that if those final two books get released in our lifetimes... (Come to think of it, my money on the legit canonical ending is that the White Walkers win, with humans being far too entrenched in their own petty interests in order to work together and stop them. Death prevails at the end. Wouldn't that be deep, man?)
True, that would be the third solution, and probably the best thematically speaking. But you can't do that in a mainstream TV series without huge backlash, unless you're setting up a post-apocalyptic sequel.

Some people blame me for being hypocrite about liking the deaths of Oberyn Martell, Eddard Stark etc and criticising how noone important died in 8x03 and also criticizing the death of Dothraki.

Oberyn Martell died because his anger and mourning darkened his judgement.
Eddard Stark was naive. He was an honorable man but thats not good enough. He wasnt rational. He gave time to Cercei to leave he should have played his cards more carefully. The show really made these deaths believable and also dramatic. They were perfect.

In 8x03 the series tried to turn this low fantasy realistic and engaging air to  a more high fantasy.

Samwell not dying despite getting stuck between waves of enemies for minutes. Same foes killed thousands of Dothraki in seconds !

Jorah Mormont, despite being the least skilled horsemen among the Dothraki somehow made it back to castle.

Dothraki was the strongest part of the army maybe sharing it with unsullied.
Also they were numerically the majority. If show really wanted to use that cinematic scene they should have used some other cavalry force.

Also there is a logical mistake about Dothraki weapons being uneffective at start but you all peobably heard it already.

I think they should apologise from the audience and make 8x03 and afterwards again because it is a pity for them too. They ruined the thing they made very good up until this point. I mean it was getting worse and worse each season since 5 but these last episodes are literally unacceptable.

KhergitLancer99 said:
I think they should apologise from the audience and make 8x03 and afterwards again because it is a pity for them too. They ruined the thing they made very good up until this point. I mean it was getting worse and worse each season since 5 but these last episodes are literally unacceptable.
FgF54Ld.gif

KhergitLancer99 said:
Whine, whine, whine. With all the work (55 straight nights of filming) and God knows how much money they spent on 8x03 alone, do you honestly think they'd remake it? Not a chance. I get that this was the battle that's been hyped for more than 7 seasons now, and it's disappointing when something you've been excited about for a long time doesn't live up to the hype, but it was still just one episode. We've had many good episodes before this one, and we've still got 3 more to go before the show ends. So, stop watching salty reviews on YT, stop reading raging comments and working yourself up into a frenzy, and chill the **** out until the season is done.

Jock said:
KhergitLancer99 said:
FgF54Ld.gif

Cersei pls. Why the eye roll? They've literally crapped out **** and ruined it for everyone with common sense.

Jock said:
Because the amount of entitlement some people show never ceases to amaze me.
You should see some of the threads in the Bannerlord discussion board. :lol:

Come to think of it, that probably explains KhergitLancer's attitude, since he's a regular participant in Bannerlord discussions.

Back
Top Bottom