Game of Thrones - HBO TV series based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire'

Users who are viewing this thread

Dear Jesus Christ, what an episode. Absolutely brilliant.

Music? Stellar. The composer has outdone himself.
Arya? Stellar. Finally a Faceless proper. I approve. Though the cooking was unnecessary and unrealistic. And leaving toenails in is nothing but a display of bad taste.
KING IN THE NORTH? Stellar. R+L=J confirmed.

I knew tommen had to die, but didn't expect him to jump out the window. Well. Let's see what happens with the valonqar.

Mother****ing nuke taking out EVERYONE? Well! I didn't expect that! Also, the "little birds" scene. Good, though not great.

The whole time whilst we were in the North, I waited for Brienne to pop out of somewhere upon Sansa's command and swiftly deal with Littlefinger once and for all. Oh well. Probably later.

I predict growing conflicts between Jaime and Cersei. Gotta have the prophecy happen.

So, what's left? Jon vs Cersei vs Dany vs the Others? Fire and Blood. Dany said she might need to marry someone. Mayhap someone like the King in the North, also her nephew? The Targaryens are into that sort of thing, soooo...

This is also the first time where I noticed the fancy map in the opening sequence says "Dorne" instead of "Sunspear" or "Water Gardens". Why? Because Dorne remains unimportant. :iamamoron:

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu said:
Game of Thrones feels too modernised and contemporary for me. I want less mainstream TV-ness and more realism, grit and realism. It just feels like a fantasy soap opera. The plot isn't even that interesting. Soap of Thrones. I really find it difficult to watch something with so many soap opera beats.
Watch "The Shannara Chronicles" and try not to smash your own skull in due to facepalming.

Shannara is horrible!

Anyway just read this on the economist about the sudden woman power in Westeros

http://www.economist.com/node/21701400?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/gameofthroneswomenrulewesteroshowstrange

It may not be a coincidence that this resounding triumph came after both the existent source material had run out and public outcry over the show’s heavy use of sexual violence had reached its zenith

Wow. Is that implying that GRRM is at fault for needless violence against women?

I mean, it's not like he set up character arcs for women to become powerful or anything.

As the story move into uncharted narrative territory, where the arc of each character is not already laid out

Again, he may not have written the material, but I'm sure GRRM has a specific plan for his major character arcs. He'd be an imbecile not to.

After five years of sexual violence and nudity so extraneous that the term “sexposition” was coined to describe it, the lack of either in this series was both striking and welcome.

Mostly seasons 1-3 were filled with sexposition, and this article seems behind the times. Nudity, for the most part, has been consigned to more meaningful acts since. Including this season. Last season we got a couple of needless nudity, and same this year. But the amount these past few years have been minuscule compared to the first three seasons.

The fifth series’ disastrous House Martell plotline in Dorne also drew significant fire from viewers, as did the troubling racial overtones of Daenerys’ rise to power in Slaver’s Bay.

That's the whole thematic point of her rise to power.  :facepalm:

Maybe it wasn't done so well in the show, but Dany's rule and conquest of Slaver's Bay was abysmal in the books. It's clearly meant to mirror the US and it's intervention in the Middle East. It's meant to have that kind of symbolism.  :???:

On the general topic: The show has ALWAYS had strong women. Just because they haven't been in a position of power or had the opportunity to do so until now doesn't mean that they haven't been strong. And I think that's a very common misconception.

I wonder if Qyburn is drugging his child helpers. Getting them addicted, or some sort of branwashing potion. They seemed pretty out of it, and I remember him feeding them something earlier in this season.

He was handing out candies, actually. Now that you mention it, wow, that's pretty messed up.

the-child-catcher-4.jpg

*Lady Mormont drops the mic*
Jon: "**** me. Did this little girl just crown me??"
Littlefinger: Really? REALLY!??  :lol:
Sansa looked happy with it. Is Littlefinger going to plot on how to kill Jon?

I knew there was going to be dragon-fire the moment I saw the kid entering the tunnels. But the fact that Lancel allowed a little kid to stab him so easily when he's actively seeking him and knowing (sure enough) he works for Cersei....
I really didn't expect to get everyone killed. They can start the trial without Cersei, but apparently witnesses can't leave because...is rude? Too forced for my taste.
Tommen was too simpleton to be liked. Gone for good.

Cersei: “Magic mirror, on the wall - who is the fairest one of all?”  Watch and learn, (Angelina Jolie) Maleficent! :lol:

So the Wall is enchanted and undead can't cross... until the Night King breaks it?

Dragons are going to be flying 24/7 until they cross the sea and Dothraki are comfortable on a ship. (Details, details...)

The Citadel, city of bureaucrats "Approaching to get your letter? That's not my job! And stop making jokes, we have no sense of humour here. Oh, this is most irregular!"
And it only took you an entire season to reach it, Sam! Meanwhile Varys has crossed that distance thrice. And that library shouldn't be empty, damn budget limitations.

Dorne: we are still relevant!

We are going to face an undead-ice-wizard-king, let's expel our only fire-wizard. Well, already knew Jon is emotional, not cold-logic. If she has such faith on her destiny, I'd just tell her her execution is postponed after the battle with the Night King. I wonder what is she going to do when she meets Arya.
bN1dcVe.jpg

Other than resurrecting Jon, she did absolutely 100% jack **** the whole show.

She could've sat out the whole damn show and everyone probably would've been better off.

Well, they couldn't leave in particular because they were Tyrell's, and High Sparrow wants to shove his power down their throat.

They didn't start the trial without Cersei. They did Loras' trial first, then it was Cersei's turn.

As for the Wall -

Night King can't break it. But the weird mark he gave Bran could, like it did with the Three Eyed Raven Treehouse. So if Bran passes the wall, it seems likely that the enchantment will be lost.

Feragorn said:
Other than resurrecting Jon, she did absolutely 100% jack **** the whole show.

She could've sat out the whole damn show and everyone probably would've been better off.

I mean, she did shadow vagina demon Renly to death.

Has anyone ever stopped to consider...
...That Arya might be the Valonqar? We already know from Aemon that the word "prince" in High Valyrian can refer to either sex, why shouldn't Valonqar? Arya is not a "little brother" but she is a little sister, the youngest daughter of Ned and Catelyn. And since Arya is back in Westeros, crossing names off her list...

Dragons can swim, I'm pretty sure. So there's no need for them to fly the whole time.

Danath said:
*Lady Mormont drops the mic*
Jon: "**** me. Did this little girl just crown me??"
Littlefinger: Really? REALLY!??  :lol:
Sansa looked happy with it. Is Littlefinger going to plot on how to kill Jon?

I really didn't expect to get everyone killed. They can start the trial without Cersei, but apparently witnesses can't leave because...is rude? Too forced for my taste.

We are going to face an undead-ice-wizard-king, let's expel our only fire-wizard. Well, already knew Jon is emotional, not cold-logic. If she has such faith on her destiny, I'd just tell her her execution is postponed after the battle with the Night King. I wonder what is she going to do when she meets Arya.
Lady Mormont: Gods help the world when Lyanna Mormont grows up. She'll give the present-day Sansa and Daenerys a run for their money in the "badassery and strength of character" department.

IMO, why the High Sparrow couldn't allow the people to leave the Sept was because all along, he seemed to want to prove that he, and no one else, was the most powerful person (gods aside) in King's Landing, and perhaps by extension Westeros. He tried to bring down the some of the highest-ranking people in the city, including the Queen and the Queen Mother, and he even defied the King's commands to his face. Given that kind of egotism, it makes sense that he wouldn't take kindly to Margaery taking charge in his own temple, and his first thought would be to reassert his control, even as he came to realize what was about to happen.

Melisandre: Jon Snow was in a no-win scenario, as he had to choose between Melisandre and Ser Davos. Personally, I can see why Jon would rather have a capable, trustworthy, pragmatic man like Davos at his side than someone as obsessed as Melisandre, who burned a young girl -not to mention many other people as well- at the stake in a misplaced act of religious zeal, and who could **** him or murder him depending on what she thought was the Lord of Light's latest wish. He made a good choice to let her live, though, I think: this way, when the **** hits the fan, she can still use her abilities against the White Walkers and co. (Also, I thought that scene was very well-done and acted, especially by the woman who plays Melisandre. I liked how she showed regret for what she did, and that they're continuing to try to show her as having more to her personality than blind, unending religious fanaticism.)

Lord Brutus said:
I guess that disqualifies him from the "Groom of Daenarys" sweepstakes.  :lol:
Nope, it doesn't. :razz:

Lord Brutus said:
Feragorn said:
Lord Brutus said:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't we see that Jon Snow is not Ned Stark's son but is actually a Targaryen?

Basically.
Cool.  He's still a bastard but now he's someone else's bastard.

I guess that disqualifies him from the "Groom of Daenarys" sweepstakes.  :lol:

Well, you say that...

"The Targaryens wed brothers and sisters for three hundred years". An Aunt and a Nephew are basically unrelated by that metric.

He might also not be a bastard.

Rhaegar wouldn't be the first Targaryen to have multiple wives (although the last was one of Aegon I's sons, so admittedly a long time ago), I wouldn't be surprised if Rhaegar convinced a Septon to do it for love.

Back
Top Bottom