Game of Thrones - HBO TV series based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire'

Users who are viewing this thread

Am i the only one that feels that feels like the whole "girl power" thing is turning crap. I mean dont get me wrong i am as far left as you go, but for example eowyn from lotr was a badass and a true heroine. She wasnt allowed to fight for her homeland because she was a woman, so she disguised as a man and fought the leader of the orcish army and managed to deliver the epic line  "i am no man" that was a true heroine to cheer on.

Meanwhile we  got brienne which i am really fond of. But except her we got one of the cringiest and emotionless characters in television. Daenarys Targaryen who delivers dull speeches and acts as everyone are under here and not worthy. She is just as Viserys If not worse.

Sansa who just let Jon abandon the wall and sent thousands of potential fighters against the walkers die. Why? "Because Jon doesnt know Ramsey thats why"  instead of convincing arryn to join her cause and potentially convincing The umbers to turn on Ramsey. She sent all her bannermen to die,killed a giant and left the wall defenseless. She is no badass,  she is an disaster which actions will deliver problems when the white walkers breach the wall.

I know that game of thrones got some criticism for sexism by 21st century standards, but people must understand that the show (if u include all the fantasy out) is ment to depict war of the roses. A time where sexism was rampant.

And once again bear with my grammar.

Lord Brutus said:
You forgot Tommen's alliance with the High Sparrow, Cersei's trial, which will render her conflict with Jaime obsolete.

tumblr_mhwmqk6ojm1rihc88o1_250.gif

Do we know that Sansa knew reinforcements were coming? I remember she sent a message for help, don't remember if she got a reply.

If the Boltons hadn't been tied up with the Stark/wilding infantry and just stayed inside Winterfell, then the Knights of the Vale would've showed up and ended up forcing a siege, which they still couldn't survive.  The Boltons needed to be away from the castle, and have the wrong side of the shield wall facing the Vale Knights coming up from the south. Not a great tactical situation.

Wolfhead said:
I get that the army is largely improvised and they wouldn't have shields and helmets for everyone, really, but the commander?
Even if they had a shield and helmet for Jon, there's a perfectly good morale reason to not use either of them.

Lord Brutus said:
You forgot Tommen's alliance with the High Sparrow, Cersei's trial, which will render her conflict with Jaime obsolete.  But these and everything you mentioned are mini-dramas now compared to the white walkers and Daenarys' invasion.  Euron is a punk, not a threat.  Arya is one of the more insignificant characters left, even less significant than Sansa and the Sansa-Littlefinger drama.  Bran may have significance in the white walker conflict but is helpless against Daenarys.  What about Theon?  Minor player.
FFS. This is a character-based drama. It's about the characters and their lives. Yes, stakes are high, as many of the characters are involved in the politics of a huge region, and yes, battles and wars can and do happen, but it's really about the people. It's not really about big foreign invasions or saving the world.

The corpse wall was stupid and the timing was bit off but largely the battle was well done and the cinematography was excellent. It showed well that, despite all the warnings, Jon couldn't shrug off his emotions and humanity, which actually makes him a far more real character than Ramsay, for example, even if everybody knows that violent psychopaths have always existed. We do not know if Sansa knew that the Knights of the Vale were coming - it wasn't show that she ever got a reply. It would have been worse to tell Jon that they ~might~ be coming and have him plan accordingly, taking the risk that they don't show up, rather than rely on the plan that could have worked if Ramsay hadn't pulled the Rickon trick so nicely. I expected Ramsay to prop Rickon up and then whip him until Jon attacked, but this worked pretty well too. As for Rickon being too stupid to zig-zag - remember that he was a little boy and hadn't started training yet, when the show started. Afterwards he's spent more time as a wild child, roaming the countryside with his direwolf, than learning how to handle himself on the battlefield - it's not far-fetched to accept that he simply had no idea. As for Jon's army lacking shields and helmets, I think it was a conscious decision to make the difference between them and Ramsays's more disciplined army stand out even more. Though it was silly how the giant indeed went to battle with no weapon at all.

I think the highest praise for GoT is that I honestly thought they might kill Jon again or have the Starks lose the battle.

Oh, come on.  Everything since book 1 has been building toward a Daenarys invasion and/or a white walker invasion.  At this point, most other characters and their conflicts are trivial.  Assuming Martin ever gets around to finishing his books, there are two major conflicts yet to come. 

Oh hey Temujin, I didn't know you got promoted.

Jhessail said:
I think the highest praise for GoT is that I honestly thought they might kill Jon again or have the Starks lose the battle.
Yeah, I had honestly forgotten all about the knights of the Vale, when Jon was getting trampled into the mud I was wondering where the Red Woman was and how she was going to revive him.

Jhessail said:
As for Rickon being too stupid to zig-zag - remember that he was a little boy and hadn't started training yet, when the show started. Afterwards he's spent more time as a wild child, roaming the countryside with his direwolf, than learning how to handle himself on the battlefield - it's not far-fetched to accept that he simply had no idea.
Does one really need training to learn that zig-zagging will make you harder to hit? Hasn't that kid ever tried shooting a moving deer or rabbit in his life?

You're in a fallacy, sticking to that precise *****ing point. It doesn't matter if he zig-zagged or not. It's the script. If he zig-zagged, Ramsay would just order the dozens of archers right next to him to fire a volley and that would kill him for sure, which happened literally as soon as he landed the killing shot anyway, Rickons body was further peppered with arrows. The point was that this was all part of his freaking psychopathic game, to give an illusion of hope, like he always did, from Theonn to the wildling girl. He was in control and he was too smart to lose control of such an important hostage. It's quite annoying when people whine about one detail of a scene when it doesn't matter whatsoever.

Danath said:
Snow showing everyone that he's NOT a good leader and way too hot-headed (despite being warned). Cool chaotic scene, but it ended being so stupid with those mountains of bodies. That good job! was comedic.

HUP HUP HUP. Ramsay does have a disciplined army. I can excuse them allowing to be surrounded because the wildings have never heard of that way of fighting (how many of them use a shield, 1 in 100?), and they are in shock. But the Braveheart scene "shoot at everyone, we have more men" doesn't compute. Many of those men belong to other houses, I really thought the Umber would at least complain. Plus they are convinced they are going to win, there is no need

It's mandatory for evil overlords to kill their own troops for no reason. I really hated that battle, Jon ****ing everything up before getting saved by The Cavalry is just frustrating to watch. If he and his army had put up a valiant effort at least and tried to use their tricks (someone mentioned trenches?) it would have been satisfying to see the Vale come to their rescue but as it is it just felt annoying.

Also, Rickon should have just gone for one of those burning crosses on the battlefield and hid behind that.

masterborn12 said:
kraggrim said:
Do we know that Sansa knew reinforcements were coming? I remember she sent a message for help, don't remember if she got a reply.

She could have told jon and made him reconsider to wait a few hours.

Maybe, but I doubt it would have changed Jon's reaction to what Ramsay did.

Nevermind zigzagging, I wonder why Rickon didn't
think to hide behind one of those burning crosses. I mean, gross yeah, but also objects I can put behind me and arrows.

Arvenski said:
Jhessail said:
As for Rickon being too stupid to zig-zag - remember that he was a little boy and hadn't started training yet, when the show started. Afterwards he's spent more time as a wild child, roaming the countryside with his direwolf, than learning how to handle himself on the battlefield - it's not far-fetched to accept that he simply had no idea.
Does one really need training to learn that zig-zagging will make you harder to hit? Hasn't that kid ever tried shooting a moving deer or rabbit in his life?
He hasn't. He was too young to practice with a bow when his father was called to King's Landing. And ever since he has spent his time on the road.

Jhessail said:
We do not know if Sansa knew that the Knights of the Vale were coming - it wasn't show that she ever got a reply

It was so heavily implied through the Northern scenes, it's not even funny. The conversation between Sansa and Littlefinger was essentially

"You're dumb and married me to a bad guy"
"Sorry. I have an army you need by the way. Sorry again."
"Leave me alone!!1!"
"Did I mention an army?"

Sansa proceeds to write to LF to send aid .

It would have been worse to tell Jon that they ~might~ be coming and have him plan accordingly, taking the risk that they don't show up,

Jon, honorable as he is, is going to be very pissed that their entire army essentially fought and died for them, and Sansa was too **** egotistical to even bother mentioning "Jon, this manipulative power-player has an army and totally wants to bang me. The reason I'm not gonna get captured tomorrow is because I'd give a good guess that they'll be here very soon." You're damn right you know nothing when it comes to battles Sansa.

Yeah yeah I can accept that, it's just so painfully obvious and admittedly a criticque that's meant more for a laugh than to be serious

As for Jon's army lacking shields and helmets, I think it was a conscious decision to make the difference between them and Ramsays's more disciplined army stand out even more. Though it was silly how the giant indeed went to battle with no weapon at all

And now they're all dead and the only army left is the Vale - essentially meaning that LF controls the North now. I get Sansa is supposed to be "smart" (somehow) now when it comes to manipulating people, but if LF gets charmed or killed or something very-not-LF, for the Starks to get their own -proper- army,  then that's going to be very **** stupid. I'm beginning to really not like Sansa

I went in expecting them to lose because I'm tired of bad things happening to my favorite characters :razz:

Back
Top Bottom