SP Medieval Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A World of Ice and Fire (v8.1 released 7/3/22)

Users who are viewing this thread

To be honest, I think tripping happens for too often. I do Karate sparring reguarly, unarmed combat, so a fair amount of balancing involved, IMO, harder to stand that armed combat. And in the entire time I have done it, I can count the number of times people fell over without being pushed on one hand.

Hazzardevil said:
To be honest, I think tripping happens for too often. I do Karate sparring reguarly, unarmed combat, so a fair amount of balancing involved, IMO, harder to stand that armed combat. And in the entire time I have done it, I can count the number of times people fell over without being pushed on one hand.

I agree, its way to easy to fall over sometimes. Ill reduce this for the next release. Its still much much less than it used to be in Brytenwalda.

On another note ive been busy on the next update.  A few things ive added.

Ive changed all of the village map icons. The Brytenwalda ones that was in the game were too boxy and samey. They should all be set correctly/differently now according to their culture/faction.

Ive added the ability to recruit a special northern troop from a northern village depending on your relations with House Stark. Thanks to maroonmustachio for the idea.

You will now find wandering Crows, but only in Westerosi taverns south of the wall. Prisoners will be sold for less, as the Nights Watch dont have many Stags to spare, but your honour will increase as will your relations with the Nights Watch.

A Good Master can be found somewhere in Essos whom you can buy Unsullied from. Though be careful not to piss him off!

Dagmer Cleftjaw and his party has been added to the game. See if you can find him.

Plus alot of polishing/bug fixing has been going on aswell, with the addition of more armours and weapons. Im still expecting a few weeks before the next release because i want to fix quite a few things first.

Nice, can't wait :smile:

Also, is it possible to reduce the "hill-iness" of battle maps? In Brytenwalda, this made sense, esp the fact that there was not much cavalry in that game. Here, it's quite difficult :smile:

(Disclaimer: I haven't played as much as I should, and I have often stayed up north, so perhaps its less "hilly" down south?)

Articulo34 said:
May I suggest adding more villages? At least to Westeros. Right now it´s kind of empty, specially Dorne.

In the books, Dorne is empty, it's a desert, it's the most sparsely populated area of the Seven Kingdoms.  Have you ever heard of Saudi Arabia?  Cities, towns, settlements in general are few and far between.

maroonmustachio said:
Articulo34 said:
May I suggest adding more villages? At least to Westeros. Right now it´s kind of empty, specially Dorne.

In the books, Dorne is empty, it's a desert, it's the most sparsely populated area of the Seven Kingdoms.  Have you ever heard of Saudi Arabia?  Cities, towns, settlements in general are few and far between.
Have you ever heard of gameplay? Sometimes you have to find a balance between realism/accuracy and gameplay. The way it is right now it´s impossible to roleplay a Dornish lord since it will take ages to rise an army and, what´s worse, to replenish it should you suffer heavy casualties.

Articulo34 said:
maroonmustachio said:
Articulo34 said:

Have you ever heard of gameplay? Sometimes you have to find a balance between realism/accuracy and gameplay. The way it is right now it´s impossible to roleplay a Dornish lord since it will take ages to rise an army and, what´s worse, to replenish it should you suffer heavy casualties.

That's why Doran Martell keeps Dorne out of the war.

maroonmustachio said:
That's why Doran Martell keeps Dorne out of the war.
That´s not the point. This is a game and it´s meant to be played, not a storytelling. As I said there should be some balance between accuracy and gameplay. Dorne needs at least 3 or 4 more villages for the player to be able to do something for/with it. Still, that would be much less than the amount each other kingdoms should have. That way Dorne still has a manpower shortage while allowing players to join it and not expend 3 months just to gather/replenish a 100 man host of Dornishmen.

Dont worry, ill be looking at the villages and making balance changes accordingly. Though do remember were still in Alpha and testing is unfortunately part of the parcel.

produno said:
Dont worry, ill be looking at the villages and making balance changes accordingly. Though do remember were still in Alpha and testing is unfortunately part of the parcel.
Of course. Sorry if my discussion with maroonmustachio sounded harsh, sometimes I lose myself when trying to prove a point.
I must say that, so far, I like where this mod is going.

No worries :smile:.

We do have a few options though. For instance i will be adding special recruitable troops to certain towns and castles. They probably be faction elite units and cost quite a bit. They will also be seperate to the usual upgrade trees so only available from these locations. Though im undecided how to implement this yet and the full details. But this will at least give you an option to recruit more troops.

I will also be adding more taverns across the map, which you can recruit random rabble from for a fee.

Sounds good and it just gave me an idea. How about mercenary companies that you can hire? I don´t mean mercs that you hire and join your group as soldiers, I mean independent mercenary groups that will follow you around like a vassal would. Those should cost a ton to hire, a lot to maintain and would follow you only for a period of time after which you should have to renew the contract.

There would even be a ASOIF precedent for it: Sellsword Companies You probably would have to make some up though, as the notable ones may be indisposed (based on the books).

I don't know if that would be possible in M&B though, to have mercenary "lords" that follow you around.

Another suggestion: Perhaps we can add the "mountain clans" in the game. You could probably use the TLD's Dunland items for that :smile: They can be bandits or perhaps even a minor faction.

Please, please, please do not mix LOTR stuff into ASOIAF mods, that goes together like s*** and strawberry shortcake, Martin barely touches on fantasy, Others have appeared all of three times over the course of five books, even Valyrian steel weapons are described as looking mundane and ordinary (if not duller than bright steel).

As much as GRRM has said he likes Tolkien, face it people, he's the anti-Tolkien - not a single woman is raped in LOTR (or even made love to gently), while it's, well, constant in ASOIAF, and not only happening to women.

Plus the Clansmen of the Vale are essentially wildlings, any armor they have should be fur primarily, leather, or bit's of stolen, dented steel.  They're not stuck up in the mountains smithing, they're stealing each others goats and burning out and off their own eyes and fingers respectively for kicks.

Umm...have you seen the Dunland items from TLD? Armors are furs, weapons are made from bone and wood. Just because it came from a LOTR mod does not necessarily mean it's already high fantasy stuff.  The idea is to make use of what is out there to improve the mod (TLD is open source).

produno can choose to use the armours, not the weapons if you really are against them crafting their own weapons.

I haven't even seen Produno's mod, yet, I'm just advising at this point, but I can say weapon-wise, with a few tweaks, and armor-wise, with a few more tweaks, Cozur's models are true to this world.  Everything in ASOIAF is a lot more grounded in reality than fantasy - branching out to fantasy essentially only in the long-run narrative.  The simpler it looks, concerning Westerosi styles (the Free Cities are quite different), the more in line with the books/series.

maroonmustachio said:
I haven't even seen Produno's mod, yet...
So you were arguing with me without knowing what I was really talking about. I suggest you download the current version of the mod, just to avoid any other misunderstanding.

Khamukkamu said:
I don't know if that would be possible in M&B though, to have mercenary "lords" that follow you around.
I think it is in 1257AD that you can raise an extra army in your custom village. It follows you around for a certain time. So it should be possible.

Hertog Jan said:
Khamukkamu said:
I think it is in 1257AD that you can raise an extra army in your custom village. It follows you around for a certain time. So it should be possible.

That's great to know! So, like I suggested previously, there is precedent for that already, with the sellsword companies. Or perhaps, the player can create his own "Brotherhood without Banners" type of group.

Back
Top Bottom