• 5v5.

Votes: 67 29.8%
  • 8v8.

Votes: 95 42.2%
  • Both.

Votes: 63 28.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

You'll never see me argue the planning and organisation for Bucharest was good (although considering it got organised within practically a week it was executed well) , but the requirements were fairly simple and easily fulfilled. Not much TW can do if people are just going to ignore them. So it's less about it being an all-AE exhibition and more about it being an exhibition of people that have basic organisational skills. Nobody thinks it's particularly evident of competitive warband (the Frontline Tactics team definitely deserved a spot too), but it proved the format can work at least.

We can all share your realism as to the potential future of LAN but there is opportunity out there and would be foolish not to give it a try. I hope the russkies, turks, and yanks can all join too, at least so I can finally sh!t on Americans and kill people who can only kick-block.

OurGloriousLeader said:
It was only 50% AE because one team signed up with the full knowledge they wouldn't be able to go and had to be replaced.

That was kind of the sketchy part of the whole process though tbh. As someone who didn't really follow the preliminary process closely it came off as them kind of being manipulated into putting another AE team in to replace the team that couldn't go. I know the second AE team ended up making it to the finals but that seemed to be more about unexpected events happening rather than directly skill related. I didn't hear anyone expecting them to beat Unity leading up to the match. Granted, props to AE Yellow for showing up, playing well and surprising everyone but single elimination always offers up the chance of the underdog winning in any game or sport. It seems to me that there were two stronger teams from the preliminary matches that deserved to go more but simply got the unlucky end of the draw.

It was also weird how they handled the Unity team as well. I know it didn't happen, but what if Unity had simply just asked the best available merc left to come play with them for the LAN. I'm sure there was someone laying around that could have been a game changer. Also what if another team had done that as well. Once they realized they made it, they could have arranged to have another player come in by simply saying another couldn't go.

Roberta_Baratheon said:
OurGloriousLeader said:
It was only 50% AE because one team signed up with the full knowledge they wouldn't be able to go and had to be replaced.

That was kind of the sketchy part of the whole process though tbh. As someone who didn't really follow the preliminary process closely it came off as them kind of being manipulated into putting another AE team in to replace the team that couldn't go. I know the second AE team ended up making it to the finals but that seemed to be more about unexpected events happening rather than directly skill related. I didn't hear anyone expecting them to beat Unity leading up to the match. Granted, props to AE Yellow for showing up, playing well and surprising everyone but single elimination always offers up the chance of the underdog winning in any game or sport. It seems to me that there were two stronger teams from the preliminary matches that deserved to go more but simply got the unlucky end of the draw.

It was also weird how they handled the Unity team as well. I know it didn't happen, but what if Unity had simply just asked the best available merc left to come play with them for the LAN. I'm sure there was someone laying around that could have been a game changer. Also what if another team had done that as well. Once they realized they made it, they could have arranged to have another player come in by simply saying another couldn't go.

AE Yellow and Frontline Tactics were the only teams who send the information needed to replace Aequalitas, then AE Yellow was picked because they got one more round against AE Black then Frontline Tactics. Nothing dodgy going on, personally i would have prefered to fight it out.

Roberta_Baratheon said:
That was kind of the sketchy part of the whole process though tbh. As someone who didn't really follow the preliminary process closely it came off as them kind of being manipulated into putting another AE team in to replace the team that couldn't go. I know the second AE team ended up making it to the finals but that seemed to be more about unexpected events happening rather than directly skill related.

It wasn't sketchy but it was bizarre and a bit of a disappointment since it kinda negated the whole point of the qualifiers. But then, the qualifiers weren't particularly representative either - 1 map, no seeds. So it really was just a "aaa find some people that can go!!!" and considering that, the games in the end were actually pretty sick.

Sure anyone couldve replaced a player by saying one of them cant go, but who gives away his spot freely so team can take a better player instead? Besides why not just take that player in the first place? I dont know how much time Unity had to choose their replacement but I dont think tigerwhite is worse than max in their class

Unfortunately Tigerwhite had already played for GG (and gotten knocked out) so definitely shows there was potential for abuse. Not that I think there was, but perhaps in the future it won't be planned with a huge time constraint. As LEF explained they had 3 weeks and a 5 man team to arrange the entire thing.

Tibé said:
With the 5v5 we could have more teams for the future tournaments

Yeah, we'll have more competitive teams and less old-school clans, which compose something like smaller communities. Due to progress of e-sport our community keeps losing the spirit of old Warband.

Dyktator said:
Tibé said:

Yeah, we'll have more competitive teams and less old-school clans, which compose something like smaller communities. Due to progress of e-sport our community keeps losing the spirit of old Warband.

You raise a good point. Why this community is alive after so many years and has never ceased to organize tournaments and other events with zero outisde help is (aside from the personal commitment of several players) thanks to the network of several clans who have (some of them) been active for years, and have provided the scene with many players, tournaments and events to be remembered. The network of clans established during the past years is what I think formed our small competitive community as we know it today.
If we limit the number threshold/limit to join the tournaments to 5v5 for good it might kill many old communities and would surely turn the community into many small competitive teams of short duration, which would certainly affect the community's spirit and also harm it on the long run.

Gasset said:
Dyktator said:
Tibé said:

You raise a good point. Why this community is alive after so many years and has never ceased to organize tournaments and other events with zero outisde help is (aside from the personal commitment of several players) thanks to the network of several clans who have (some of them) been active for years, and have provided the scene with many players, tournaments and events to be remembered. The network of clans established during the past years is what I think formed our small competitive community as we know it today.
If we limit the number threshold/limit to join the tournaments to 5v5 for good it might kill many old communities and would surely turn the community into many small competitive teams of short duration, which would certainly affect the community's spirit and also harm it on the long run.
Surely the fact that the community has only seen the same clans for years suggests that there is no growth and that what we are doing atm isn't working. Sure, what we have atm is fun and works for current clans but if we want to grow as a community then something obviously needs to change.

It's not like Warband's competitive community is set as an oligarchy made up of small clans. Surely most of the old ones are still active, but as time went on many new ones were formed and now they are well established. I respect and understand your opinion but I do not share it. Albeit growth is slow, things are steady.

Personally i dislike 5v5 and 8v8. They look so bored for me. But i respect those people who enjoy 5v5 or 8v8 tournaments.

I would like to see bigger teams, like 50v50. But these kind of tournaments only measure the fighting skills (together with environment usage) againt enemy's skills.

In my opinion, there should also be one another kind tournament which races players' commanding skills. For example, if "Commander Battle Mod" would be implemented in Bannerlord, it could be done.

Every team would make up 10-15 players, and each players would command 25-30 AI soldiers. Then two armies would face against each other in strategic maps. Those maps would be empty deserts, or mountain areas, or even siege maps.

Beside some people enjoy 5v5 or 8v8, this is not CS:GO. There are shields, Bows, Horses, Swords, instead of M14, G3, AK47, hand grenades etc. Medieval era battles should include more fighters into map in my opinion.

Rosslington said:
Surely the fact that the community has only seen the same clans for years suggests that there is no growth and that what we are doing atm isn't working. Sure, what we have atm is fun and works for current clans but if we want to grow as a community then something obviously needs to change.

Sir Galahad the Pure said:
For those pro-5v5 who claim that with this format it'd be easier to draw the attention of new players and form new teams: do you realize that this game is around 8 years old and it is extremely unlikely that new players will join the competitive scene at this point?

To complete that quote: the fact that this game (not casual, not a shooter, 8 years old) and its MP community have survived for so long is in fact due to how well the community has been doing itself. I might be pessimistic but this game had its climax a few years ago and it is simply NORMAL that after so much time the playerbase decreases. Expecting a sudden big batch of players joining the community at this point is a bit naïve, to say the least.
But hey, full respect for beleiving that the community can still grow significantly  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom