Funny pictures and videos thread. Not very new but still newest version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not supposed to change foreign names at all, in this day and age. If your name is John Petersson and you call yourself Ivan Petrov, people will think you're a weirdo.

Bluehawk said:
You're not supposed to change foreign names at all, in this day and age. If your name is John Petersson and you call yourself Ivan Petrov, people will think you're a weirdo.
I dunno, it's not uncommon for Asian and African immigrants to take on a more American name. Often justified for the Africans, as their names can crazy as ****. Not generally justified for Asians, though, they're usually pretty straightforward to pronounce.

Brazil kind of has that, but it mostly stems from our incapacity to pronounce foreign names. There's a bunch of Polish, Italian and German names that aren't even made more "Portuguese", they're just badly mangled all around, like people named "Müller" that became "Mueller" but are adamant that their names are pronounced /muɛˈlˑɛh/ or /muɛˈlˑɛx/.

I meant in the Russian language. You're supposed to spell a foreign name in Cyrillic phonetically as it's pronounced in its native language, and not "russify" it in any way except as the alphabet demands.

Bluehawk said:
I meant in the Russian language. You're supposed to spell a foreign name in Cyrillic phonetically as it's pronounced in its native language, and not "russify" it in any way except as the alphabet demands.

Yeah, that's absolutely true. But, pardon my ignorance, haven't they always done that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom