Free Games - Recomendations and updates galore

Users who are viewing this thread

Oh, I remember registering for that a few months ago but deleted my account over fears of it being a scam. Seems legit upon further examination, though.

It is legit, I've been playing on their service since the GameSpy servers shut down two years ago with my disc copy of BF2. Their launcher automatically downloads and installs BF2 and BF2142 with some map packs if you already don't own it. There is another service called "BF2Hub" which does the same thing but they seem to be completely seperate. The BF2Hub master server is different, so servers that show up on ReviveBF2 will not necessarily show up on BF2Hub and vice versa. Seperate accounts and stats, too.

ReviveBF2 did manage to allow for retrieval of any old GameSpy accounts and stats. My account from 2005 is still going strong!

Alright, now I'm going to ask the real questions. Is BF2142 worth playing relative to the shooters available now? I already know I'd rather play Insurgency than BF2.

2142 was always my favorite, but I haven't played in ages.

Haven't played it in a long, long time, but I honestly can't think of a comparable game in a somewhat scifi setting that lets you have battlewalkers and VTOL aircraft.
All I can think of is Planetside 2, but its guns go "Pew-Pew," and everyone has a shield generator jammed in their colon.

Austupaio said:
Alright, now I'm going to ask the real questions. Is BF2142 worth playing relative to the shooters available now?
Yes, it absolutely is. I installed on Almalexia's convincing and played a few games of Titan mode. It looks a little aged but not actually as dreadful as I expected it. It's very fun and the Titan game mode is great.

I don't really understand the upgrades and inventory system though.

STALKER Call of Chernobyl 1.4 came out. It's free so long as you have an entry for Call of Pripyat in your registry (but you don't actually need the game installed).
http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl

Yes, you can download SC2 through the Battle.net client without having purchased it and play certain modes.

It seems that you can play...

A handful of campaign missions, but not the full campaigns as they each require buying their own respective expansion pack.
Non-ranked multiplayer skirmishes with friends and AI.
Co-op scenarios with a handful of heroes.
Any custom maps in the arcade, which can vary from things like DoTA (which was originally a custom map for WC3) to Tower Defense, really people go wild with custom maps for Blizzard games and SC2 is no exception.

It also seems that regardless of what expansions you own, you can set which 'expansion level' you are using. So you can either see only the original units from the first game, Wings of Liberty, or the entire progression of multiplayer changes through to Legacy of the Void.

I can't say exactly how much of this is fully free and how much is available because I own the original game, but I can access all of this without owning the 2nd or 3rd expansions.

Back
Top Bottom