Formations yes or no

Users who are viewing this thread

I have the same issue as everyone here... but will you remove the formations entirely and permanently? Or just for the time you need to arrange them?

I've seen a few formations implementations and none worked well enough to be of any use to the AI or the player so I won't bother with this anymore.

My only beef is that I have a Danish keyboard, and when formations are placed on buttons like ; and ', I can't often use them because those buttons are placed elsewhere or only activated when holding down shift.

I suggest to ask Motomataru(??- sorry if im wrong) - In 'El Arte de La Guerra' his formations are quite good and not so problematic.

Here in 1257ad formations have some issues that can be repaired but...really they are so bad to remove them?

In other side...game without them is so much easier, i think.

Well yeah personally I don't really see the point to those formations. The native Warband orders satisfy me, I never told myself "if only I could make formations, it would be nice and easier/ more difficult".
I say some things might need to be kept simple... especially when a lot there are many other things people want to change for this mod...

Instead of formations I would rather have better AI behavior ie. archers pull back if enemy gets near, or until they deplete their arrows, infantry moves aside if they see a horseman charging.
Then when you order your men to follow you, they automatically position themselves accordingly, when you encounter the enemy.     

I do like the idea of formations for shield walls etc.. reminds me of tactical battles like total war. But i'm in agreement, they've got to go until theyres some reliable AI scripts out there

Lord_Consept said:
I do like the idea of formations for shield walls etc.. reminds me of tactical battles like total war. But i'm in agreement, they've got to go until theyres some reliable AI scripts out there
But by doing "Hold position" order in Warband, doesn't infantry already make a shield wall? (for those who have shields of course)?

Vae_Victus984 said:
I found the skirmis order post, any chance we can see it in this mod  :?:
This is nice! I didn't know the existence of such improvement! The archers and horse archers have always been a problem to me about charging without getting too close (or same thing with holding position). This is a nice suggestion! Thanks.

Basic formations exist in Warband, your troops form a line and that's sufficient enough for now.

Brubar said:
But by doing "Hold position" order in Warband, doesn't infantry already make a shield wall? (for those who have shields of course)?

Yeah I guess your right they still form like in a sense. Seemed alot tighter formations w/ the new scripts. Nice to have options for formation too  :smile:
The basic warband forms are cool with me, as they have for awhile. Hope to see some good forms added one day though! But that's not an easy task im sure  :shock:

Question :?: is there hotfix or current way to disable formations on pre 10 atm? or should we be waiting for next release?  Might continue my campaign for pre10 if i can stop my troops running like schoolgirls  :grin:

Lord_Consept said:
Question :?: is there hotfix or current way to disable formations on pre 10 atm? or should we be waiting for next release?  Might continue my campaign for pre10 if i can stop my troops running like schoolgirls  :grin:
press 'u' button at the beginning of the battle, this will disable formations, and the orders will be the same as they were in previous versions.

RődeOrm said:
press 'u' button at the beginning of the battle, this will disable formations, and the orders will be the same as they were in previous versions.

Thanks RődeOrm, ill use that method for now

othr said:
Basic formations exist in Warband, your troops form a line and that's sufficient enough for now.

Weve got formations working in Brytenwalda, shieldwall etc, it's far better than a single line. Is it not possible to use the same technique in 1257?

Tchan said:
othr said:

Weve got formations working in Brytenwalda, shieldwall etc, it's far better than a single line. Is it not possible to use the same technique in 1257?
there is not single line in 1257,the archers are infront cavalry on left and infantry at back,i like it that way,btw i dont think that shield wall was used in 1257,it ended around Hastings battle,because of good use of crossbows

Tchan said:
othr said:

was about to post this - Brytenwalda has formations working ok. Dunno if I'm asking for too much, othr, but could you contact its devs for aid?

Back
Top Bottom