For Caravan Companions: Trade or Tactics?

Which is better for Caravan Companions - Trade or Tactics?

• Trade

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tactics

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

So I'm prepping a new character, an Imperial, and I was trying to find out what would be the best Companion to assign leadership of a Caravan to. Considering the investment of a "safer" Caravan at 22,500 Denars, I want to pick the right candidate.

Normally I opt for Tactics because it will decide Combat encounters whilst on trade routes - so I'll find a Companion (usually Aserai with "the Falcon" or "the Golden" title) who has about 100 Tactics for this duty.

However, I've noticed that a new type of Companions is popping up with the trade skill (notably another Aserai going the "Spicevendor" title). Since there is no Clan Position dealing in trade at this time (hopefully changing soon), I was wondering if the transactions engaged in by Caravans was affected by the trade skill of the companion managing it.

I've reviewed the Trade skills of Companions who have managed caravans in s recent game for over 200 days (a save file at day 43 and a save file at day 295), and they were at the same low starting point (1-2 measly skill points) that they where when they began. Since the skill isn't being raised, I have to assume it's not being used and so is not a part of the caravan profit algorithm. But I can't be entirely sure how that works.

Does anyone have relevant information on this stuff? I also reviewed the Tactics of Caravan Companions and they didn't change at all (although understandable since combat encounters are few by comparison to trade.

I somewhat nurse my characters and build up their trade, and they usually have tactics when I recruit them. Combat skills aren't really required for them as they will pick those up. What is most important is a decent riding skill so they can ride something besides a Sumpter or Old Workhorse. If not, just have them ride with the character in their party until they get riding above 10.

Then as I said in the caravan too weak thread, replace all non-cavalry based units with cavalry (missle or infantry), and they'll never get caught again. I use Banner Knights and Elite Cataphracts with Bucceli. They can fight their way through most engagements with them, but I have yet to see one get caught.

i gave caravans to combat oriented characters (the swordsman) and they're doing fine. ~1k in profits. they've been defeated a couple of times in 1000 day save.

Voted trade purely because tactics is fairly easy for them to level up whereas trade is impossible without mods. The optimist in me likes to think the reduced trade penalty on goods perk works for caravans as well, although I haven't tested it. I guess the carry weight perk could also help them if it works.

Then as I said in the caravan too weak thread, replace all non-cavalry based units with cavalry (missle or infantry), and they'll never get caught again. I use Banner Knights and Elite Cataphracts with Bucceli. They can fight their way through most engagements with them, but I have yet to see one get caught.

I believe it was stated somewhere that they would remove the ability for players to manage the party composition of caravans (as stupid as that sounds). If this goes through, then there will be footsloggers in the party who will be slower than even someone on a Sumpter Horse.

Voted trade purely because tactics is fairly easy for them to level up whereas trade is impossible without mods. The optimist in me likes to think the reduced trade penalty on goods perk works for caravans as well, although I haven't tested it. I guess the carry weight perk could also help them if it works.

Trade is possible to level if they lead a caravan I think. It should increase their Steward skill too since it counts as a party.

Nope, unfortunately it isn't. Nothing gives trade XP to NPCs.

Speaking in absolutes is a bad idea.

Trade.jpg

I somewhat nurse my characters and build up their trade, and they usually have tactics when I recruit them. Combat skills aren't really required for them as they will pick those up. What is most important is a decent riding skill so they can ride something besides a Sumpter or Old Workhorse. If not, just have them ride with the character in their party until they get riding above 10.

May I ask you, how do you level up the companion's trade level? I can't figure it out myself...

May I ask you, how do you level up the companion's trade level? I can't figure it out myself...

I've had Companions on Caravan duties for years, and their trade skill either never budged or just got to 2 (where it stayed for 200 days). Basically, you can't raise companion trade skills at the moment so far as I am aware.

Like many things, the Clan Role for Trademaster has yet to be implemented fully so we just wait and see what Taleworlds does.

Speaking in absolutes is a bad idea.

Trade.jpg
Sometimes companions will have skills developed beyond "stock" values like that. I assume you were at least a couple of days in the game before you hired Haqr the Scholar? I recall having read something somewhere about hero skills going up with age or something like that. Might have something to do with it (or not). I bet you don't even know how that single level of trade got there, however, do you?

Sometimes companions will have skills developed beyond "stock" values like that. I assume you were at least a couple of days in the game before you hired Haqr the Scholar? I recall having read something somewhere about hero skills going up with age or something like that. Might have something to do with it (or not). I bet you don't even know how that single level of trade got there, however, do you?

I was a couple years into the game when I hired him, and he wasn't in the original hero list either.

I did check the save game at his level up due to his riding skill becoming better. I chose to use it to add a focus point to his trade skill. He had level 1 trade with 0/41 XP at that time. I then checked my latest save game, where he has gotten 4 new skill levels, and his trade is still level 1, with 0/41 XP with a 3.05 multiplier. So yes, it doesn't look like it is the caravan trading bringing his skill level up. So no, I can't explain why it hasn't levelled up or at least gained some XP.

How are you able to control which units accompany the caravans? I have yet to see any option. I also don't have the option to buy upgraded caravans. I will say that I'm playing the regular version and not BETA.

I have a party of around 20. Five are companions and the rest are people that run my caravans. I make a ton on caravans. They do get attacked quite easily so I really try to be strategic where I place them.
I kidnap Family Feud quests members and give them cheap but decent armour and weapons. I'll give them a sumpter horse and saddle then send them on their way. Most of my caravans are averaging around 1k a day although one of the family feud caravan leaders is consistently getting me anywhere from 4-6.5 k a day.
Do NOT waste your companions as caravan leaders. Kidnap Family Feud members and use them instead.

Do NOT waste your companions as caravan leaders. Kidnap Family Feud members and use them instead.
Do I have to fail the quest in that case? If I assign the family feud subject to a caravan I can no longer take him with me to the guy I'm supposed to protect him from.

How are you able to control which units accompany the caravans? I have yet to see any option. I also don't have the option to buy upgraded caravans. I will say that I'm playing the regular version and not BETA.

I have a party of around 20. Five are companions and the rest are people that run my caravans. I make a ton on caravans. They do get attacked quite easily so I really try to be strategic where I place them.
I kidnap Family Feud quests members and give them cheap but decent armour and weapons. I'll give them a sumpter horse and saddle then send them on their way. Most of my caravans are averaging around 1k a day although one of the family feud caravan leaders is consistently getting me anywhere from 4-6.5 k a day.

When you make the caravan, it will still be in that city. Do not leave the city. If you own the city that is even better (since it likely won't go to war against you in the future). Then go to the keep and to the lord's hall and you should be able to talk to your NPC who is the caravan leader. Tell them to let you inspect their troops. Once you do, I would recommend taking any units that are not mounted and replacing them with mounted units. I use upper tier units in case they ever get caught, but I also think something cheap like highwaymen would also work.

I would stick those caravan units in the garrison, they're better than looters or recruits, but that is about it and they don't improve.

The next time you see the caravan, about two seconds after you leave your city, it'll be pretty speedy.

Do I have to fail the quest in that case? If I assign the family feud subject to a caravan I can no longer take him with me to the guy I'm supposed to protect him from.
Thats quite obvious isnt it? ofcourse you fail the quest otherwise you dont get to keep that person in your party. But caravans are for early to beginning of midgame only, after that its a waste of time and companion. they are far better off as a governor or separate party member so you can have more troops in your army.

Yes, as Pr0faker said you'll fail the quest. I think you only lose 2 relation. Besides, I don't know if the family feud quests is working now or not but it used to be impossible to complete due to a glitchy dialogue that would happen while you were fighting with the thugs. The rewards of income vs the -2 relation is worth it imo.
And thanks for the tip on checking the keep to change out my caravan leader's troops.

Back
Top Bottom