SP - General Fleeing units look ridiculous :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Jansuk

Recruit
Not key component of the game but that just look so retard when example: about 10 looters is heading exactly same direction and exactly same movement speed "running" for their lives.

Is that possible to add some randomness to movement speed and pathfinding even between the same units? That would just look so much more natural if there was some difference between individual units

Yes I mentioned this before, they should keep defending themselves at least when we keep running after them.

Yep +1, they should at least throw away their weapons and run faster, or shove/smack you when you stand directly in their way.
That's a good point. They are actually running straight in to your arms when you're standing in their path, even with sword ready to kill them :grin:.

That all just doesn't feel 2020 game.

Yes I mentioned this before, they should keep defending themselves at least when we keep running after them.

Okey. Good.

+1

I gallop ahead of where they are running to and fire arrows into them as they cluelessly charge at me. I try to see if I can down them all before they touch me. Makes more of a game out of it.

It would honestly make sense if they become even more dangerous then before. Scared people running for their lives are very dangerous.
Not at all, scared people are just scared people. Wounded people or people without other choice but to battle are very dangerous.
Look at the number of dead during a retreat, if scared people were very dangerous, occurence would have proved that an army in retreat were something to avoid.

10 looters is heading exactly same direction and exactly same movement speed "running" for their lives.

Is that possible to add some randomness to movement speed and pathfinding even between the same units? That would just look so much more natural if there was some difference between individual units
I agree with you, more diversity on the animation, reaction considering their retreat.

Yep +1, they should at least throw away their weapons and run faster, or shove/smack you when you stand directly in their way.
Btw is there change that fleeing unit is rallying back? I can't remember for sure. But if there is then it's not work that they throw away their weapons.

Maybe if there is some kind change let's say 10% that unit who's going to flee is 100% panicking and drop he's weapon on the spot and flees away from battle no matter what. And 90%change that unit is just scattering and fleeing still weapon in he's hand and apple to being rallied by he's lord or what ever is affecting to that? i don't even know. Maybe sudden success from own troops could also do that.

Of course they are more dangerous, because they are desperate. You can fight with confidence in a battle shoulder to shoulder with allies. But once those allies are killed and only a few of you remain, you become desperate and you will do anything to keep yourself alive. Desperate, horrified humans know nothing more then survive at any means necessary. They will try their hardest to kill anyone who stops them from fleeing.
And yes, when people in a battle retreat you don't want to try so hard to catch them because they are desperate people with sharp things. Thats was cavalry is for. Lindybeige made a video about this called "Pursuit in battles - don't try too hard"

Of course they are more dangerous, because they are desperate. You can fight with confidence in a battle shoulder to shoulder with allies. But once those allies are killed and only a few of you remain, you become desperate and you will do anything to keep yourself alive. Desperate, horrified humans know nothing more then survive at any means necessary. They will try their hardest to kill anyone who stops them from fleeing.
And yes, when people in a battle retreat you don't want to try so hard to catch them because they are desperate people with sharp things. Thats was cavalry is for. Lindybeige made a video about this called "Pursuit in battles - don't try too hard"

We can continue our discussion in private message if you like, cause it's already a little bit off topic, and to preserve the message of the OP.

I must so disagree with you with this one. Yes i agree that ultimate state of fear and desperation makes humans to do everything to make them survive and they are mentally capable to do anything to accomplish that. But what comes to physiological actions and are you making a good decision when you are scared i think you seriously are poor killing machine and even worse soldier when you act with your natural reaction rather than what you have learn to do in fight.

Why bother to train soldiers if their natural reactions and usage of let's say sword is so much more efficient than anything else?
Ofc can't know for sure reason back then but why modern soldiers train same things again and again and again is that they automatically do what they had to do no matter how scared they are or whats in their mind.

I have heard some good quotes from military leaders from this but can't remember now any.

Last edited:

A majority of casualties in pre-modern combat would typically occur during a rout.

In general i would really like a variation from the: runs at calm pace with still their weapons in hand in a orderly fashin behind each other. Additionally with the looter vs caverly example. I would expect at least some to drop to ground and beg or something :wink: but yeah has to see what can be implemented.

I must so disagree with you with this one. Yes i agree that ultimate state of fear and desperation makes humans to do everything to make them survive and they are mentally capable to do anything to accomplish that. But what comes to physiological actions and are you making a good decision when you are scared i think you seriously are poor killing machine and even worse soldier when you act with your natural reaction rather than what you have learn to do in fight.

Why bother to train soldiers if their natural reactions and usage of let's say sword is so much more efficient than anything else?
Ofc can't know for sure reason back then but why modern soldiers train same things again and again and again is that they automatically do what they had to do no matter how scared they are or whats in their mind.

I have heard some good quotes from military leaders from this but can't remember now any.
Yeah when they are scared they won't have technique. But someone whom is scared for their life does not become a pacifist. They can be outplayed easily but the adrenaline they get makes them so dangerous. They shouldn't become killing machines when they rout but they should still fight back because thats what normal humans do. Someone else suggested a surrendering mechanic for those who can't flee which i think would be pretty cool. Also watch the video i mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom