Fixed Troop Tree Upgrades (Complete w/ Factions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi and yes, im new here  :oops:

I decided to register here because I bought WF&S from steam and after 10+ hours of play I was wondering why I cant upgrade my men. Well then I saw this "fix" and I decided to try it, it didnt work the game just crashed. Also it somehow disabled the "New game" option from the start menu. After replacing the new downloaded txt file with the original txt file (yes I made a safe copy of it) the saved games worked but I still couldnt start new game. After that I just removed the game and re-downloaded and installed it but the "New game" -option  just isnt available anymore.

What am I doing wrong? I dont anymore care about the "unit upgrade fix" I just want to be able to start a new game and wait for the offical patch.

Also now after I removed the game and downloaded/installed it again my save games are still there (how is this possible? I removed the game and all the game files from steam folder) but now they dont work either. So now I cant start a new game and I also cant continue my old saved games.

I think this system makes a lot of sense and restores some of what made the game good. If you ignore the arbitrary number of the level of a unit which is a rough approximation of worth, the progression is logical.  You have units getting used to the technology and ones that master it. When you give them better equipment, it takes time and effort to get good at it so the performance of the elite unit would be degraded until they acquire enough time and use of the new technology to regain their proficiency and maximize the benefits. This is represented in the level slight level dip in performance between elite lower tiers and basic higher level tiers.

Just wanted to drop in to thank you for this fix, game was nigh un-playable without it. Re: the 1500 armys bug...I'm not sure what mods you have going but I'm just not seeing anything like that in about 6 hours of gameplay.

Einarinari said:

I decided to register here because I bought WF&S from steam and after 10+ hours of play I was wondering why I cant upgrade my men. Well then I saw this "fix" and I decided to try it, it didnt work the game just crashed. Also it somehow disabled the "New game" option from the start menu. After replacing the new downloaded txt file with the original txt file (yes I made a safe copy of it) the saved games worked but I still couldnt start new game. After that I just removed the game and re-downloaded and installed it but the "New game" -option  just isnt available anymore.

What am I doing wrong? I dont anymore care about the "unit upgrade fix" I just want to be able to start a new game and wait for the offical patch.

Odd, the .txt file shouldn't affect this part of the game at all.  And after switching it back to the backup should be exactly how you left it.  Try uninstalling, and then manually going to your Steam folder to manually delete anything left over in the Mount and blade with fire and sword folder and then reinstalling.

Will this work on troops that I liberated from bandits and enemy AI commanders or only troops bought from my factions?

Kexin said:
Will this work on troops that I liberated from bandits and enemy AI commanders or only troops bought from my factions?

Works on all faction based units, so it will work on units you capture and liberate as well.  There are a few units you could rescue that do not have an upgrade path, such as Peasant Women however

Z_E_N said:
Einarinari said:

Odd, the .txt file shouldn't affect this part of the game at all.  And after switching it back to the backup should be exactly how you left it.  Try uninstalling, and then manually going to your Steam folder to manually delete anything left over in the Mount and blade with fire and sword folder and then reinstalling.

Firstly, thank you very much for replying, I really appreciate it.

But unfortunately I belive I have deleted ALL of the left overs files and folders.

This is what I deleted: Prgram Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/mount & blade with fire and sword

So I deleted the bolded folder.

Einarinari said:
Z_E_N said:
Einarinari said:

Firstly, thank you very much for replying, I really appreciate it.

But unfortunately I belive I have deleted ALL of the left overs files and folders.

This is what I deleted: Prgram Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/mount & blade with fire and sword

So I deleted the bolded folder.

Ok I have spotted the problem. The problem was that I coulnt start a new game because all the save slots were allready used. I just happened to fill the last slot just before I tested this "fix" so I just thought that the problem was related to this "fix". I obviously didnt delete the saved games when I re-installed it so those slots were full even after re-installing, meaning that I cant start a new game. IMO, this kind of system is really weird because the game doesnt say anything about deleting at least one saved game before you can start a new game. My friend told me to try this so I tried and it worked, easy fix but it makes me wonder why cant the game just say it that you need to delete at least one save slot to start a new game?? It was also weird that sometimes when I tried to load saved game it crashed and this happened the first time after I tried this "fix" and contiunued after reinstalling the game.

Anyway, thanks to Z_E_N for replying  :smile:

Im no expert but wouldn't it be better to have the troop tree like this
(please excuse the troops im not yet familiar off the top of my head the actually names and rankings)

markman 1  -  markman 2          - marksman 3      - marksman 4
                  \  markman 1  (vet)  \ markman 2 (vet) \ markman 3 (vet)

rather than:
markman 1  -  markman 1 (vet) - markman 2  -  markman 2 (vet) - markman 3  -  markman 4 (vet) -

basically you get to the troop class you want, then kind of seal it off by selecting its vet upgrade completing its journey.

EDIT: this would explain the class level differences betweent the "mark 1 vet" and "mark 2" - choosing mark 1 vet is mean't to be better, but comes at the cost of no longer aloowing further upgrades - infact the more i think about it and more information that provide by OP this seems the only logical explanation

Would applying this fix mess up my saved game when future official patches comes out? (Assuming the patch support older saves of unmodified WFaS)

foxdie said:
(please excuse the troops im not yet familiar off the top of my head the actually names and rankings)

rather than:
markman 1  -  markman 1 (vet) - markman 2  -  markman 2 (vet) - markman 3  -  markman 4 (vet) -

basically you get to the troop class you want, then kind of seal it off by selecting its vet upgrade completing its journey.

mhh it would be better if you can choose from the veteran

markman 1  -  markman 2      - marksman 3      - marksman 4
            \                  /                            /                            /       

so you have the choice if you want some better units but still upgradeable overtime, but it's cost more experience to get them as highrank.
so you can get a rush to marksman T4 or you can get stepby step MM T1 -> MM T1 Vet. -> MM T2....
or MM T1 -> MM T2 -> MM T3 -> MM T4  :smile:

foxdie said:

rather than:

EDIT: this would explain the class level differences betweent the "mark 1 vet" and "mark 2" - choosing mark 1 vet is mean't to be better, but comes at the cost of no longer aloowing further upgrades - infact the more i think about it and more information that provide by OP this seems the only logical explanation

Problem is you can't have more than 2 upgrade paths at any given time (at least with Morgh's tools that I was using).  So you can go T3 M -> T3 M Vet or -> T4 M, but then you cant branch down to a different unit type say... Melee Cavalry.  Because every unit in the game except the basic peasants have some sort of "Veteran", this would mean no branching to a different type.  This is why the Veteran system makes things more complicated than they should be =/.

The only real explanation, is that the game is designed to allow to to pay money somewhere to "Veteran" your existing units.  But without that implemented, all we can do for now is have it set in the path.  It just wont let us branch around, because you can only have the two branches on any given unit (for some reason).

To further clarify... You basically start with a peasant unit.  Then it upgrades to either a melee or a ranged unit.  Later down the line, the melee unit will branch off into some sort of melee cavalry, or stick with pure melee.  The ranged will stick with pure ranged or branch to ranged cavalry.  Normally without "Veterans" this is fine, because you can have 2 branches which will work.  But when you add the third branch (veteran) you are unable to accomplish this without modding the code that restricts you to only 2 branchers.

Plz tell me how I can upgrade my troops. My troops only are recruits and after 6 battles they aren't upgraded. Plz help me :?:

syotos96 said:
Plz tell me how I can upgrade my troops. My troops only are recruits and after 6 battles they aren't upgraded. Plz help me :?:

Theres a massive fault in game causing units not to upgrade. The OP has created a mini mod that replaces your troops.txt file which is a temporary solution until release a patch. Go back to post #1 and have a read.

Hey, I was wondering when you get units that you can actually upgrade, becasue so far all i have is muscovite mercs, merc pikeman, and more mercs that can't be upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom