Fighting In the Shield-Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azrooh said:
Blackthorn, that is what we call 'overcomplication'
:razz:

And I call it ''never have lost a major battle'', and ''historical command structure''. But overcomplication is good, if you have a fire and forget mentality to strategy. :wink:

Blackthorn said:
Phalanx300 said:
That might not have been the accurate way. For large scale battles at least. For small skirmishes I gues its accurate. But when you think of large battle with multiple lines then its suicide to stand in the second line with a spear, what if you shieldguy dies? You die as well. And I think pictures also portray large scale battle with shields in all lines.
The assumption that a guy without a shield in the second rank would die instantly if his covering shieldman dies is a bit erroneous- two-handed spear or early billmen can fight in rank and hold against spear-and-shields or weapon-and-shield; they've got more control over their weapons, and increased reach. They're also cross covered by the men to their left and right, so charging them down isn't as easy as people assume.

When you are facing a shieldwall from the front (Seeing the guy with the shield in front of you just died) without a shield your as good as dead. How do you block multiple strikes? There's a reason that pictures show shieldwalls with shields.

And Reenacting as nice as it looks and fun as it might be, are more portraying the smaller scale battles where second line spear buddy would be pretty usefull. Rather then the full scale battles I'm talking about.

Blackthorn said:
Azrooh said:
Blackthorn, that is what we call 'overcomplication'
:razz:

And I call it ''never have lost a major battle'', and ''historical command structure''. But overcomplication is good, if you have a fire and forget mentality to strategy. :wink:

The problem is that Mount & Blade is hostile to more advanced tactics than a normal line - you can't shove somebody aside to make room for yourself, you can't march in step, etc. If there's not enough room between the staggered files, then they won't be able to advance through them - if there's too much room, then the people in the front rank will be slaughtered.
Now, as for the 'melee volleys', remember that the other side will be fighting back - which means that both the enemy's ranks will be able to kill the first rank of your wall, while both of your ranks will only be able to attack the first rank.

I've been in the 1stEPI for 8 months since it was created, and we've taken some American Civil War drill manuals and based our formations off those. Some of the formations didn't work in Mount & Blade, such as marching in line, so we had to dumb those formations down or introduce a system such as our staggered movement. You can't take tactics from real life and just apply them to Mount and Blade - you need to look at how practical they are from an M&B standpoint, and if they are impractical, then you need to see how you can make them practical.

It would be great if the engine were more complex, but when it comes down to it, this is a simple game with an awesome combat system, and you can't expect much out of it formation-wise.
Now, if Vikingr's clan scene got more active to the point where these shieldwall events could be based on clans rather than a mass of public players, what you are suggesting would be feasible for a group that trains several times per week and is very disciplined. However, they would be shooting themselves in the foot, as the simpler formation will nearly always win because the fancier formations cannot fulfill the intended roles they have in actuality.
This is not to say that the fancier formations should not be used, however - you will always have a mixture of people in these events. Mainly people who are looking to re-enact and people who are looking to win. In a clan scene, usually these people are neatly seperated and labelled by the clan they are in - but in a public scene, they are all lumped together, and you're always risking pissing one of the two groups off.

Phalanx300 said:
When you are facing a shieldwall from the front (Seeing the guy with the shield in front of you just died) without a shield your as good as dead. How do you block multiple strikes? There's a reason that pictures show shieldwalls with shields.

And Reenacting as nice as it looks and fun as it might be, are more portraying the smaller scale battles where second line spear buddy would be pretty usefull. Rather then the full scale battles I'm talking about.

... you're outside of the reach of the man who just killed your friend, seeing as you're a pace further back. And you can remain there- fighting with a long-reach weapon. You can sidestep slightly, and deflect with the spear, and step back. And yes- shieldwalls do show shields. And there's a reason that more and more long-hafted two handed weapons are pictured behind them, especially in later period documents, and that the mass of polearms eventually forced the shieldwall out of history.

... and I'm not sure what you think of medieval warfare. Most combat was skirmishing- most nobility avoided direct army-to-army clashes, given their expense and their relative risk level. Most of the time the warfare was economic- destroying the enemy sources of food and wealth, and then laying a siege when they are forced back to strongholds. The average clash was less than a hundred aside- pitched battles were the exception, not the norm.

Reenactment is also the closest you will get to simulating the form of the combat, and highlight the physical limitations of the gear and the formation. Intrestingly enough, if you were correct, there should be no dane-axes, early bills or two-handed weapons pre-1300. As long as there is a skin of shield-bearers on the front line, the formation can hold. If you've got a weapon that allows you to fight from a pace or two outside of your opponent's reach, and you've got someone covering you to the front right and front left, who do you think is going to kill you? And how many people trying to kill you do you think you can prevent with a spear and shield?

However, to illustrate the point- the gap...

OOOOOO  OOOOO
OOOOOOXOOOOO

'X' is our two-handed spearman. Now- the combatant to his front has died. Whoever killed him is either at spear's length (no immediate threat to X) or at shortarm's length (sword, sax, axe, etc.)- if so, he's close enough to also be fighting the left and right hand partner of the man he killed, leaving X to thrust him backwards, aiming blows at his head or feet with his spear. If it's a one-handed spear, X can edge forward half-a-pace, and make some shots at people just outside of reach using a longer spear (which two hands makes possible). So the idea that because his shield isn't slung on his arm, X is dead, isn't really borne out by battlefield physics.

And Azrooh- I know, to an extent, that the engine makes it clunky- hence questioning how it would translate- but the staggered line does work; I think the problem is you're envisioning the centre of the line. You do briefly (in the front rank) have to fight two opponents. But the whole concept is you tie two people up. This means when your second rank advance, your enemy is off-balance for the sudden switch. It also means in a standard two-line compact fight, your line is longer, and has more 'lapping' to the flanks- and allows your second rank more mobility to enter the front-line conflict. It generally works best with lighter troops who are pacing forward, striking, and pacing back- skirmishers more than grinders- think 12th C Welshmen rather than 9th C Danes.
For interest, though, the formation above is born from fighting to win- but I agree, it does take a degree of training and co-ordination, but so would most of the things I suggest- reenactment of course means a lot of training time with the same old comrades, so formations that you practise become second nature and well-drilled. I'd be intrigued to see how it would translate, at all... but there is the simple problem that a front ranker cannot 'block' diagonally effectively in-game... or bind, or pressure for that matter.

In Native mod I have told a 100 times to form a shieldwall in siegedefence and battle. Very few times they have listen and done that. But at a time when we where outnumbered we maneaged to win the round because we used a SHIELDWALL on the enterance. So ther is no Shame in standing in formation the real Shame is DYING (early).

I am glad there is a mod that takes shieldwall seriusly and will gladly join Vikingr because of that and that Vikings are my ansestors.

Remember that histroy have won many fights with shieldwalls and are one of the key tackticks on most battels.

Always remain in formation and follow orders.
Spears are best in the 2nd line and first should have been used swords and oneH axes.

I hope this is understandeable.

OldVet

Shield wall work fine in tight spots, but never has it worked properly on an open plain. People dont trust the man beside them and people running off.

Rath0s said:
Shield wall work fine in tight spots, but never has it worked properly on an open plain. People dont trust the man beside them and people running off.

Yes people are always running off, they don't understand that their survival chance is much higher if they stay with their team. But it's already a lot better then in native =)
I'm also still surprised by the way cavalry attract people. Somehow they all want to run after it and catch it. It's not like the cavalry doesn't see you coming or anything, and they are a lot faster then you are.... So running after them only makes you and your friends more vulnerable. I'll stop ranting on about it, nobody ever listens anyway ^^

Rath0s said:

and pepole that goes behind the shieldwalls slaugthering pepole for cheap kills : P

Actually slaughtering people behind the shieldwall is what I do all the time in reenactment :razz:

That's why every shieldwall should have dedicated flankers - to either backstab, or stop the enemy flankers trying to run around, if the spot is not a narrow corridor when there's no room for flanking.

Or a reserve. There's nothing quite like standing behind the shield-wall in a company of heavies, and then counter-charging just as they pass the shieldwall. :grin:

Yeah, I can't imagine formations work very well in the current combat mechanics. There's just too many variables missing that made formations essential in real life medieval combat.

If only there was some sort of colission. Allowing you to push other players in front of you. Maybe even model colission, with shields and spears reacting to objects they hit, not being able to go through walls etc. Though that last thing is probably for a future M&B. And some passive melee protection, so blocking when not holding block button would be nice.

Phalanx300 said:
so blocking when not holding block button would be nice.

Or fast, short ranged and low damage attacks without releasing your block (barely moving the body, only arm) - that would be pretty realistic actually.

I tottaly support Dragomir - in real shieldwall You are keeping the guy in front of You busy, not fighting him - You should all the time look on enemy on Your left or right, wait for him to reveal and attack. When using normal, uncovering attacks on person in front of You to distract him, You can easly get a spear to the face.

By the way: long, two handed spears and daneaxes should blowback while thrusting. In real shieldwall warrior using a daneaxe dont have shield protection so he is stabbing the guy in shield so he can keep him on distance. I mean just soft pushback or/and stopping the attack, not knock-outing the thrusted guy. As far as I know, stabbing with daneaxe take some damage, and it is a bit ridiculous.

Dragomir said:
Phalanx300 said:
so blocking when not holding block button would be nice.

Or fast, short ranged and low damage attacks without releasing your block (barely moving the body, only arm) - that would be pretty realistic actually.

you have my support. hate when i click too late, still holding the shield over my head but evrythings goes straight trough it : [

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom